Rhys Spring 2021 Offer

Sure, people have the right to express their frustrations, reasonable or unreasonable. But I am really surprised to read a bunch of complaints about shipping directed at Rhys as though there were some habitual issue there, as that does not square with my experience. I’ve been ordering from them for a decade, and they’ve always seemed to me to be on the plus side both in terms of delivering when promised and communication. I went back and looked last night, and there have been exactly four times over the decade that their wines did not ship in the season when I expected them to. Three of those were futures orders, one of which shipped a season earlier than expected and the other two shipped a season later. That kind of variation over a decade of ordering is just noise to me, but I guess could be annoying to others.

The fourth instance was the 2015 Aeris Etna Bianco, which for some reason I had down as shipping in the Spring of 2019, even though the offer only went out that May. It may be that I wrote down the wrong expected ship date, since it seems unlikely they promised to ship before summer for orders placed in mid-May. But also, this is the wine that they ultimately replaced with the 2016 because they decided on their own that the 2015 was not up to snuff. I got a proactive email from Rhys about this in October, 2019 (under 5 months from the order date), and the wine was in my hands in November. So again, no complaint from me here; in fact, this is one that feels like strong customer service, not like a problem, since they identified an issue with the product ordered, corrected it on their own, communicated clearly, and had the replacement wine on my doorstep about as soon as the original could have been expected at the time of my order.

I wonder whether the people complaining about communication have reached out to Rhys and had trouble getting a response, or whether you are expecting that they would reach out to you every time they move shipping dates, either within a season or across seasons. While I appreciate proactive communication, I am not used to seeing it on a regular basis from any of the retailers or wineries from which I purchase. Maybe some of you buy a lot more wine than I do and receive different treatment. For me, if I have a question, I usually have to ask (and I do).

When I have reached out to Rhys, I have always had a reply within a couple of days at the latest, with one exception, which was this past fall. Notwithstanding the snotty comment from Rajesh suggesting that everyone should have been totally acclimated to COVID by this past November/December (when California was getting absolutely creamed), I assume that the pandemic affects staffing, work processes, supplies, records access, vendor interaction, and probably many things I have not thought of that go into the shipping equation. So I am not surprised that both communication and shipping would take longer than usual. When I wrote to ask about shipping right at the beginning of December, I did not receive an email reply for two weeks. But in the interim I had received 9 shipping notices (between Rhys and the shipper) and all of my wines. So, I get that you might get testy if it looked like the winery was ignoring your email, but you could in that case just pick up the phone. I certainly would have done so if I had been worried, but again, based on past history and what was going on in the world at the time, I simply assumed that Rhys was hard at work trying to get thousands of customers’ wine shipped in the middle of a pandemic. And, voila, it turns out I was right. (Though it also seems that not everyone’s orders made it out despite their best efforts.)

Even as someone who generally has pretty high expectations of vendors, I am with Robert in feeling that the communication and customer service I’ve received from Rhys has been right near the top of what I see in this industry.

– Matt

People seem to want everything these days: service, price, quality. If they don’t get instant satisfaction they have to rag on the company.

Matt - I emailed Rhys in mid-November asking when they would ship be shipping the wine since it seemed like it was nearing the end of shipping season and I had received my other winery orders. They replied promptly and said they were backed up and would be shipping in a couple weeks. My only issue is that they said they would ship in a couple weeks, then didn’t, and didn’t communicate.

On a side note, I didn’t intend my Covid comments to be “snotty”, but we’re almost a year into this and Covid seems to be used as a cop-out for not taking responsibility. As I said earlier, if they reached out and asked do I mind delaying my shipment to Fall 2021 I wouldn’t have had any issues with that. I don’t expect people to be 100% acclimated to Covid, but I think all of the issues people have could have been prevented by an email.

Fair enough, and maybe our feelings would be (somewhat) reversed if your wines had shipped in December and mine had not. That said, you knew that your wines hadn’t shipped at the end of November, since the system automatically generates a tracking number when they go out, so if you wanted more communication at that point you could have reached back out (coincidentally, exactly when I did reach back out to Rhys).

I personally would not assume that when a winery or wine merchant is behind on their shipping they will necessarily reach out to tell me so, because I find that happens well under half the time when shipments are delayed. So if I need the wine by a particular date or I am hoping to make sure it goes out in a given season, I would reach out again. And doubly so during COVID, when employees are getting sick, family members are getting sick, people are working remotely so they can’t coordinate with one another as well, needed supplies like shippers may get delayed, shipments themselves get delayed, etc. My mindset about COVID seems to be the opposite of yours–I assume it is probably having an impact on people (just as it is having an impact on me, my colleagues, and our families) when they don’t say so, as opposed to assuming that that are using the pandemic “as a cop-out” when they do say so.

But look, I get being irritated about lack of communication, as well as the delay itself, and I agree that people should take responsibility for not meeting their promised deadlines, whether or not the delay was within their control. I’m just also willing to put it into context given where it falls in the spectrum of my other experience with wine ordering/delivery and given the broader context of the pandemic.

– Matt

Since I never drink my Rhys wines upon release, I have never given a second thought to when they will be shipped. I know they are coming, and I know they will be shipped safely when weather permits, and I know they will please me years later when I eventually open them.

I used to be on the Marcassin list, before deciding that the wines were not to my liking and dropping off, and in terms of timing and dissemination of information that was like ordering from a black hole.

I opened a 375 ml of 2018 Mt. Pajaro PN, the first time I’ve opened a PN from this vineyard, and it made my buying decision much more difficult. Easily one of the most compelling young Rhys PNs I’ve ever had, the promise of this vineyard is both exciting and disturbing (from a financial standpoint).

2018 Rhys Pinot Noir Mt. Pajaro Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/23/2021)
A beguiling and tangy blend of red and dark fruit and baking spice, it’s very approachable and irresistible. (94 pts.)

Mike,
We are super excited about what we see from Mt Pajaro so far. This site is showing every bit as much potential as Alpine and Horseshoe did at similar vine age.

Oh wow, I slept through the offer close, but it looks like I can still load my cart and checkout?

We had a 2015 Rhys Bearwallow Chard last night with scads of Kumamotos and my wife is now keen to visit (she adores the Chards and will freak when I tell her Kevin and Jeff are making Chenins now). We’re in SF now and looking to head down to Santa Cruz in a couple weeks - not sure if I can brave the mountain passes up there, have heard scary stories about driving up to Mt Eden!!

Never been to Mount Eden, but went to Rhys once. The entrance is just off the main road there was nothing scary about the drive there. And I hate twisty roads like highway one, you would be fine.

That’s a relief, but of course COVID! I imagine the Cave is closed now, but hoping for a summer pickup party, post-vax!

I agree with this assertion as it pertains to nearly all Paso wines I taste, like, and consider buying — as soon as I discover the price it’s almost always a quick “No thanks!” because I can find wines just as good, and usually better, for less out of France. YMMV, and that’s okay. [cheers.gif]

I have so much wine that I debated for a bit, but I recently had a 2013 Horseshoe PN and it was fabulous.
Top tier CA pinot producer for sure.

So I ended up buying some wine from this release.

On a related note, did anyone get their wishes for the ungrafted Horseshoe PN granted?

JF

Eric at Rhys advised they would begin wish listing process tomorrow afternoon

2 Likes

This mirrors my experience. The 2013 Alpine Chard was beautiful last month. It needed an hour open to really come into focus.

Just notified, received 1 of 2 bottles wish listed of the un grafted

Same

Same here. With only 1, I am thinking that I put in a blind tasting with the regular and (when it comes out) the 2018 Horseshoe Hillside.

same

I received 1 (asked for 1)

no email on ungrafted pinot wish list so probably no luck.