Ridge '20 Monte Bello

No MB for me this year, but still looking forward to the estate wines.

Just saw someone on FB posted that there was so little 2018 that you won’t be able to buy any at the winery. It will be interesting to see what happens to secondary market prices for 2018 and 2020.

Hi all - just wanted to pop on here and provide some additional detail on the situation with our 2020 Monte Bello. As many of you note, we sent out our email yesterday informing newer Monte Bello Collector members about the limited nature of the 2020 vintage and our inability to provide a futures offer. If you did not receive that email and you are a current Monte Bello Collector member, you will be receiving an allocation offer. Look for a confirmation email on that in the coming weeks. We will not be charging you for the 2020 vintage until late April or early May. The specific date hasn’t been set yet. As we said in the email, we are very sorry to those that will not be receiving an offer, however since we are using tenure as the criteria to drive these decisions it is extremely likely that you’ll resume receiving your futures allocation next year and beyond. And don’t forget, as active members, you will continue to receive access to our Monte Bello Estate wines, to our Historic Vineyard Series wines from Monte Bello, and to the variety of ongoing benefits (including library access) you enjoy as part of your membership. As always, thank you for your support. We love the enthusiastic and informed community here on WineBerserkers.

More information on the 2020 Monte Bello futures offering can be found here: 2020 Monte Bello Futures Offering - Ridge Vineyards

All the best,

Ryan Moore
Vice President, Consumer Sales
Ridge Vineyards

4 Likes

Any reviews out for the 2018 Estate reds?

Not yet. We tend to send them out right around the release date so we will likely see reviews come in starting later this month into April.

This thread reminds me that I really need to get a MB out of storage to drink! Maybe an 11 or an early look at 17…

1 Like

If you pop a 17 please post a note. I’ve got a lot more newer stuff than older and would like to open one for Easter.

1 Like

After a number of years on the mailing list I decided, due to my age, to step aside and let someone else have my spot. I still have the 2018 & 2019 vintages coming so I’ll have plenty to last me the rest of my days, lol. As a result, I called today and spoke to Elsa and stated I wished to drop my spot on the mailing list. Ever the customer service pros, she sounded concerned that they did something to make me want to drop it and was there anything they could do. I assured her there was nothing done on their part to prompt me to do it, only father time. The only request I made was for them to make somebody’s day and give my allocation to others who would otherwise be shut out.

I had previously dropped off all my mailing lists with the exception of Ridge and Ch Montelena since they are my two all-time favorite California wineries. I held out as long as possible but now it’s time to give the younger guys a shot to have the opportunity buy and age these wines as they should be. Now I can sit back and really start to focus on enjoying what i have. Cheers!

8 Likes

I opened a 375ml of '17 earlier this year and it was pretty shut down. I’ll post my note but I would strongly caution against opening the '17 right now. I had to put it away and drink it on night 2, even then it was mostly about the future.

• 2017 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (9/25/2020)
    From 375. Shows a ton of American oak. Loads of dill and hints of dry oak tannin. Despite that—this is tasty but best to hold and wait for integration. Deep concentrated black fruit, quite polished and quite textured for a wine this young. Quite strong. I don’t typically open MB this young so no real comparison to other vintages for me.

Posted from CellarTracker

There’s the link to the thread on the 2018 futures if anyone wants to reference the last time.

Starts about halfway down.

Anyone know when these will be charged? Thought it was around April 15th last year…

My invoice date was 4/29/2020.

I was curious as well as I had recalled being charged in April in previous years so did some digging last week.

On their website under Monte Bello Collector Release Schedule section, it now reads “The quantity of the prior years vintage is determined by our blind tasting assemblage process which occurs in February, March and April. Members are then charged, depending on final quantity, in May.”

Interesting, I just found the “offer” email for 2019 which says card would be charged April 14 and an order confirmation on April 15…

Yeah, I was charged in 2019 on April 15. I haven’t heard a peep yet.

I was invoiced April 15 last year, however I can’t get into my order history on the website so maybe they are working on this year’s invoice.

Ryan Moore indicated up-thread that the charge will be made late April/early May.
The website indicates a Charge Date: May, 2021. Ship Date: March, 2023.
So . . .drinking window starts when - 2033? 2043?

Price will be $145 for a 750ml.

1 Like

Allocation email just arrived. Not sure if it’s the case for others but my 2019 quantity carried over to 2020, no reduction.

I am slotted to receive my full allocation as well.

I got my full allocation of six bottles. 5/12 is the payment date.