Ridge 2019 Monte Bello Futures

'16 is $185 at Belmont so 60% increase from release. The futures are definitely worth it if you don’t mind having your money on hold for a couple of years and don’t mind the ransom Estate bottles. I don’t mind getting the Estate bottles, they’re reasonably priced and are good quality. This is my first allocation after being on the wait list for a few years so I’m excited. Though I’d rather not shell out money so early, especially with these uncertain times, them’s the rules.

The writeup made the '19 sound like a vintage that you might sneak an early bottle of. I used to sample one on arrival every year but gave up after so many years of being punished with potential. I take solace in the comfort of a cellar full of matur(ing) vintages to enjoy.

I’m a buyer at my present level (not increasing this year). If I were to increase, I think I’d err on the side of taking 375mL format. I have done that in a handful of vintages and do love the flexibility of being able to check in or do a comparison with a couple of diners.

Cheers,
fred

I’m with you. I have had allocations since 1980 and, in fact pulling a 1980 tonight but I took myself off the list in 2018. I may never drink the 2018. Maybe my kids will enjoy it.

The late 90s early 2000s futures were about $60-$65. IMO, the 1999 still needs some time, where the 2001 was excellent. I won’t be buying more considering the 20 years they need to be cellared. Back then we ordered as much as we wanted as a mix of 750 and 375 ml bottles.

In the opposite boat, trying to decide if I bump my allocation up or not. There’s just a lot of great wine out there to drink in 20+ years…

Just signed up - and got 6. Perhaps it’s because I’ve been ATP for years…

I’ve never heard there was a limit. I used to take quite a bit-especially of odd formats ie 5L 3L .375. After a while I realized it was too much/didn’t have the occasion to open them. Now I take .375, 2x750, 1xmag which works for me. The price creep is there, but I still believe it is the best “futures” program in the US.

-paul

When we were first added to the list (2008 vintage), you could purchase up to 9L in any format you chose. That became your “standing order” (ours is six standard bottles and three magnums). You could change formats from one year to the next, but if you dropped down from say a total of 9L to 6L, you were not guaranteed that you could get back up to 9L the following year.

I do not know how much of that has changed since then, as we were never part of the other programs, and we have never been asked to buy “X” to ensure our order of Monte Bello.

I cannot imagine a time that we drop the MB futures program as we love the wines (oldest in our cellar is the '91). I can see, luckily quite a few years from now, dropping a mag or bottle or two for some halves, but that’d be it.

Dropped from 3L to 1.5 and taking it as two 750s. I’ve discovered Bordeaux and only have so much room for extended aging.

I increased my 2 bottle allocation to 2 more 750 ml, and 1 mag. Received an email today basically saying no problem.

I asked to up my allocation and they did, to four yearly

Yeah, makes sense to do the same…thanks!

Requested they add a mag to my 2 bottle order - they confirmed today.

I did the same. Will look forward to these in 20+ years.

Funny, I emailed them yesterday to ask to swap out 2 750mls for a 1.5L and haven’t heard back yet. Hard to argue with a 40% discount off retail.

I’m 63 and I don’t have any kids to inherit my wine. The 2018 Monte Bello was my final vintage. A few months ago I asked them to remove me from the offer.

One thing is certain: I’ll be well taken care of by my wine-loving nieces and nephews in my dotage.

Well, you went out on a great vintage!

I’ll most likely drop off after the 2020 vintage offer. Nice round number. I’ll be 66 in a couple of months. I should probably drop off now, but at least with 375s and a vigorous decant, they may show something. I’ll still order the Estate Cab.

Flickinger just updated with 2006 to 2016 MB in stock

We have been at 4 bottles for a number of years. No plans to change since we live close to both of their facilities and enjoy the component tastings and other events that are normally hosted by Ridge. At some point we may start buying more half bottles but not this year!

Ed