Ridge Geyserville, where to start?

Another vote here for the 2013, my favorite of the “recent” vintages. I also think the 2009 is pretty awesome, but it needs more time to unwind some more.

As much as I like a Geezer young, they just get better and better with age for my tastes. The 2002 is seriously in the zone these days and I expect it to stay there for another 20 years.

I haven’t had any as old as Howard’s ‘78, but a the ones I’ve had from the 80’s have been very special. They get this ethereal, Burgundian texture combined magically with all this fruit like fresh strawberry coulis.

One fun fact I noticed at the winery in Lytton Springs— as part of their efforts at full disclosure at Ridge, they list the ingredients added to their wines on informational signs there (and maybe on the bottles now too?) and all of the zin-based wines (including Lytton Springs) seem to have acid added except Geyserville on which they actually often need to do some de-acidifying as the pH comes in so low! Talk about some AFWE bonafides.

Popped a 2012 Geezer tonight. Ugh, so good. At the early end of its prime drinking plateau. Maybe still on the upslope. Sad I only have one left. Will try to hold for another 5 years unless I can backfill.

Thanks for all of the great responses. I was able to snag a 2013 and it was everything folks on here have made it how to be. Have not yet compared it to the 2018, but immediately went and signed up for the Ridge Z List. Excited to continue to explore (the recent Ridge Ramble thread notwithstanding…).

Late chiming in here, but I think the Geyserville is best 5-7 years post-vintage with 7 being optimum. The 2001 and 2010 vintages were epic for the Ridge great Zin trinity (Geyserville, Pagani and Lytton Springs) and brought our local tasting group to a stunned silence. Would be well worth to find the 10 imho. Cheers

Big Ridge supporter and defender here, but be careful with expectations for the Z List. Geyserville and Lytton, as well as Pagani Ranch lead the pack, and sometimes you get a Jimsomare, but a few of the others (e.g East Bench, Paso Robles) are kind of boring. Just something to know.

Like most everyone said, it’s hard to go wrong with Geyserville. Pre-2000 vintages have pretty much vanished from the market place for <$75, but once in a while you can still find the terrific 01 and 02 Geezer for ~$50-$60 if you luck out.

Of the relatively more recent Geyserville vintages, I am a big fan of the 07, 09 and 13. As much as is possible for this wine, the 03-06 were a poor stretch by Geyserville’s lofty standards. I’ve not tried much post-2013, but I was impressed with a bottle of 2018 recently, which needed all of 2 days to show best.

2017 should be more accessible than the '18 at this point and readily available. Decant for a couple of hours or open and slow ox for several hours.

Geyserville is a great journey! [cheers.gif]

Just open it. These old-vine California zins/field blends drink great young, middle aged, and old. At least to my palate. Some wines, usually tannins reds or high acid Rieslings, need some time in the bottle before they are enjoyable. Geyserville is not one of these wines. No use in hunting out an expensive old bottle if you don’t know how you’ll like it. Pop the cork!

My suggestion would be to read David Darlington’s book, Angels’ Visits first. Doing so provided a deeper appreciation of my initial experiences with wines from Paul Draper and Joel Peterson in the early 90s which I sipped on while reading the book. I don’t know if Ridge still makes 375mL of this and Lytton Springs. They are less expensive to source and evolve a bit more quickly than a 750mL. Ridge has one of the longest histories of high-quality wine in the US and you may want to seek out some older vintages at auction too.

The do still sell 375s of both Geezer and Lytton. I buy each in alternating years.

Sound advice.

I had the 17 Geyserville and the 18 Lytton Springs earlier this month while visiting the winery, and I thought the Geyserville ran circles around the Lytton (but then I usually do).

2 Likes

I’ve loved the Geezers starting with the 2014 vintage, but only have 2018-2019. Definitely looking to backfill, although my father and his wine group pools together to get current vintage at $25 per bottle which is a steal. For those of you buying and enjoying Geyserville for years, how much do you stock up on each year? I’m thinking at least a case going forward myself.

Bryan Price wrote:
I’ve loved the Geezers starting with the 2014 vintage, but only have 2018-2019. Definitely looking to backfill, although my father and his wine group pools together to get current vintage at $25 per bottle which is a steal. For those of you buying and enjoying Geyserville for years, how much do you stock up on each year? I’m thinking at least a case going forward myself.

Bryan, I usually buy 6 bottles a year and put 4 away for the longer term and drink the others while they are fruit-forward. If I had more room in the cellar, I would probably keep more, but I have bought a few mags from my favorite vintages. Cheers!

Ed

1 Like

I guess the hardest part is keeping my hands off them when they drink so well young!

Bryan Price wrote:
I guess the hardest part is keeping my hands off them when they drink so well young!

Bryan, we were able to try the 1997, 2001, 2002 and 2011 Geyserville yesterday. All were very, very good to outstanding. It goes to show how long of a drinking window some of these have!

Ed

It’s a real problem. We smashed through our original 6 of the 18’s, then the next 6, and the next…sitting on 6 left and 2 mags from 27 total bottles. I’m really glad my wife loves Bedrock Syrah because otherwise, she always wants to pop a Geyser [wow.gif]