Riesling for the petrol averse

I also think the petrol is a phase. I have seen wines “grow out of it.”

Big difference between sulfur aromas and TDN.

I guess you have to know what people are experiencing and how they’re describing it. I think people often use “petrol” and “diesel” interchangeably, and the latter often suggests sulfur fumes.

It looks like people in this thread are referring to petrol specifically. I hadn’t really realized how specific that usage seems to be here.

Sulfur and petrol are definitely two different things, though I’ve never used the term diesel to describe sulfur, it would make sense. The sulfur usually blows off whereas the petrol doesn’t improve with air.

There’s definitely a lot of confusion surrounding the whole petrol/diesel/kerosene/turpentine thing. Whatever people mean when they say one of those, I think they’re all most commonly used to describe TDN. To avoid confusion, I think it helps to say “TDN” among people will know what that means. It’s a very specific aroma. None of the myriad of sulfur related aromas smell like that. I’ve never found sulfur compounds to smell like diesel fuel either, and I’m very familiar with the smell of diesel fuel, but maybe something comes across differently to you than it does to me.

I’ve been around people who use diesel (as in diesel exhaust) to refer to classic sulfur-dioxide. If you were ever in European cities before vehicle pollution controls, you’ll know what that kind of diesel smell is.

I think you’d like any of the 2015 German Kabinetts one of my groups tasted last night. I posted notes here.

Thank you for the recommendation, I read your post earlier and didn’t see any mentions of petrol so I was encouraged.

I can’t remember noticing petrol in a young (say under three year old) Riesling ever.

I’d say I’ve tried a thousand or so in the last few years.

+1

Gotcha. I thought you meant the fuel itself.

Funny thing, I would have thought this too, but the Richter VE kabinett I opened Tuesday night had unmistakeable petrol scents. First time I’ve ever found that in a young German riesling. I have found it in youngish Australian riesling though.

Petroleum

Me too. I haven’t found any really petro Alsatians, any recommendations?

I answer my own question: Milbrandt 2013. At $13 a bottle, I am loading it up.