Riesling geeks, what glassware do you use?

I use the Grassl Mineralite, but don’t have much other high end glasses to compare it to. It feels great in my hand, blasts the aromas up my nose, and provides for a great all around drinking experience. However, I agree that the opening is a bit small (especially for my big nose) and requires me to tilt my head back a bit, but I’ve gotten used to it and it doesn’t ruin the otherwise great experience.

I enjoy using Zalto Bordeaux and Giacomo Conterno sensory glass for top GG wines and I like to use GGG or smaller glass for sweeter wines as they warm up in the glass slower and gather the aroma better

This is exactly me as well until I bought the GGGs a couple years ago. We have the Riedels from our wedding registry in late 1999-early 2000, and I’ll have to figure out what to do when they eventually all break. Still a few left.

1 Like

Zieher straight.
A

Grassl Mineralite.

I’ve had the same Riedel Vinum Extreme series for like 15 years. They hold up well. The Riesling glass is well contoured and does a good job. Plus the extreme series are huge, holds plenty.

I like the Zalto universal the best as well, but probably drink more out of plain old Reidel Riesling/zin glasses on an average night.

I must be the only riesling geek on this board that uses an unglamorous glass. I use - well, I don’t know who the manufacturer is! I bought them several years ago at a wine shop that I wandered into on 14th St that was holding a tasting with these glasses. I liked them, they were on sale and came in boxes of six and so I bought two boxes.

Just went to look at them and found a small logo - C&S or Chef & Sommerlier. I think they are mostly trade glasses. But I like the shape (about 8" tall altogether, bowl about 4.5" tall and tapering) and the ease at which they fit into my dishwasher. I use them only for casual riesling drinking. I guess if I were drinking something particularly grand, I might use my old (and packed away) Spieglau hand-blown riesling stems, which were long ago discontinued.

1 Like

Now I’ve done some looking - the C&S glass I use appears to be discontinued. But I just looked at the Grassl Mineralite (because David said it’s what he is using so that’s a good rec for me!) and it looks strikingly like the C&S glass I use! Slightly taller.

1 Like

I used the Riedel Vinum Riesling for years, but really like the Grassl Liberte for almost all whites.

1 Like

GGGs for me.

1 Like

From Somm 2: “Can there be any other business where there’s so much bullshit?"

EE7F0971-2D05-4A9E-81B7-F1D0B0A94FCB.jpeg

1 Like

Politics!

[cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Hi! A Google search about riesl8ng glasses brought me to this chain and site. First post! After reading what everyone here said, I am going to try the GG StandArt to start. The GGGis gorgeous but I am not sure i can convince my wife the $ is worth it. As she loves riesling as well, i may use that to help sway her!

1 Like

SAME!! Absolutley love my GGG’s and use them for almost everything. Went to find some ‘deals’ around Black Friday/Cyber Monday and was bummed to see how expensive they are now. I feel like the StandArt is now the price that the GGG’s used to be :frowning:

Its pricey now for sure…but it’s an amazing glass. My hands-down favorite, and i own most of the usual suspects (Zalto, Grassl, etc)

Welcome to WB, Zach. I think you will find that not much is unanimous here, but there are a lot of knowledgable, and often useful, opinions. Enjoy.

P.S. IMHO choose a “universal glass” as your first high quality glass. You may never need another. I like the Grassl Liberte. Here is an earlier thread comparing the Liberte with the GGG.

My go-to glass is Gabriel-Glas StandArt. I no longer have Zalto Universal.

3 Likes

Thanks! I just purchased the Grassl champagne glasses after doing a lot of digging and reading.