Road to Hana

Things to consider that we were told:

• the bamboo forest is closed. The owner has shut it down.
    -The black sand beach park requires reservations to get in.
  • they are starting to enforce simply stopping by the side of the road so be careful

If you decide to go there is a waterfall that is not visible from the road that is hidden. You have to navigate around a wall of a dam thing then wade/scramble through rocks and a stream to get to the pool/ waterfall which is a very nice swim. Let me know if you go

Thanks! good info… do u know where along the backside it’s closed? or like multiple spots?

I think the ‘road to hana’ is a bit over hyped/not worth it the long drive…
I did want to take the 2 kids to the Sacred Pools, and then the black sand beach (which i know i need to reserve 14 days out)… and that point, might as well drive back through the twisty road. (we plan to go backside first in reverse)…

I don’t know where it is closed. I was just told that it can be done, but to know that there is work going on, and they can just shut it down for however long they feel they need to and leave you sitting there for a while while they do their thing. I sounded like a potluck kinda thing - maybe no problem, maybe a hassle. But I was told this, I didn’t experience it myself, so grain of salt and all that. I mean, how long can they realistically leave you sitting there if the road is “open”?

There is some work going on in the front side, but they have portable stoplights so the wait is pretty limited.

1 Like