Robb Report Praises 2011 Cali Cabs

You may want to check out the Cathy Corison episode of I’ll Drink to That for her comments on her 2011s.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed 2011 EMH Black Cat, Mondavi Reserve To-Kalon and R-M Panek. Etain and Dominus were also good, but not worth the tariff I’d say. I’ve been able to get some decent prices at auction, but even the well made wines tend toward the leaner more traditional BDX styling. Which can be a welcome alternative.

2011 EMH crushed it last night with a cabbage and kielbasa soup. The edginess worked beautifully where a plusher rendition would have failed.

For a special birth year type wine, look at Abreu. Both Thorevilos and Madrona Ranch I’ve had and are great. Colgin Cariad is another great 2011 (unsurprisingly as it’s sourced in large part from those 2 vineyards as well as Abreu HM which I haven’t tried but has limited positive reviews on CT/VN). Keep your eyes peeled at auction — it appears checking my CT that I got all 3 of the above around 200-225/btl (just a tick under for the Colgin, actually).

I also think great bets basically every year are Corison, Dunn HM, (both already mentioned) and Togni.

I have been thinking of making that soup lately…will be sure to pull one of my own babies to go with it - sounds like the 2011 is in order. Thanks for your note.

We loved the 11 with you a couple of years ago. [cheers.gif]

David, great call, I still one left of the 2011 Mount Eden Chard, been saving it for a special occasion.

consider vintage port from that year…

Haven’t have one yet. Thoughts on how it shows best? Last time I looked at notes it seemed like it needed a lot of air.

Carissa came to Chas before the ‘Rona and did a vertical; I’m not sure how she prepped the wines. I’m still sitting on two of the 11s.

This. Ive got an OWC of 2011 Dow. Those may outlive you

Need to have Brian A pull together a nice dinner out once safe to do so again

Agreed! Once this crap is over, I think BA should host a cult Napa dinner…it’s well overdue!!

1 Like