Roses that age well

Thanks Tyvrtko. Montenidoli Canaiuolo is delicious. If it is in your top five, what are the others?

+1 on LdH and trying it before buying in quantity.

Another Rioja producer, Izquierdo, does a good one. I bought a case of 2011 and it is still going strong. I haven’t drunk it often enough to say that I’ve noticed it getting better though.

Rocca di Montegrossi’s rosato is great juice. On my last bottle of 2013. Not as old but definitely getting better and gets noticeably better with air which is a good sign.

Cantalupo’s Il Mimo, Burlotto’s Elatis, Sella’s Majoli and the No. 5 spot would be a toss up, but, depending on the day of the week :slight_smile:, I’d probably go with an old-school Sancerre rose’ like Paul Prieur or something like Diel or Immich-Batterieberg.

Never heard of any of them. I guess I have some research to do!

drinking 2011 Kapcsandy Grand Vin Rose. Just bought more.

Where might one buy in quantity?

Even after dipping into my stash twice already this summer, I’m fortunately still cellaring several '98s and '00s. It’s my understanding that the next release will be the '06s, and perhaps due out next year.

Or am I missing something?

Musar ages a long time, probably decades. Though I’ve only had one at about age 10 - really, it seemed like it needed more time. Musar Rose is a rather different animal than most though, much more powerful. I’ve read that Serge believed it should be served last in the lineup, after the red and white.

Like most of you, I haven’t aged everyday roses for long periods, but I do often find that good roses are better a year or two after release. The bitterness goes away, the wine overall seems to relax and unwind a bit, and it’s just more balanced and delicious overall. To my tastes.

Richard,

At this point, I doubt there is any place to buy any released vintage of the RLdH rosado in quantity – other than someone selling a stash out of their personal cellar, or an incompetent distributor somewhere finding a lost pallet in the back of the warehouse.

I’m in same situation as you are - rationing my small remaining amount of the 95, 97, 98 and 00. I had also heard the next vintage release would be in 2016, and that’s consistent with what is reported in this blog post from 2013: A visit to Lopez de Heredia - Dr Vino's wine blog Dr Vino's wine blog . Relevant excerpt quoted below:

"… We chatted about the rosé/rosado, which only gets produced when the conditions are right. Mercedes said that the wine is a blend of the white viura and garnacha (grenache) and the main catch for the rosado is that the garnacha must be harvested within a day and a half of the viura (which comes in first). This year the garnacha was late in ripening so it missed the start of the viura’s fermentation. The next rosado will be the 2008 vintage, released from the winery in 2016.

Interestingly, Mercedes’ father always said that rosado is not a serious wine, an amusing statement since the LdH rosado (along with Tempier and a couple of others) makes a strong case that rosé can actually be a serious wine …"

Michael

Ditto, I opened my last 1995 (I loved it, Brad hated it) early this year and that was my last Rosado until the next release.

The RLdH wines, in general, can be polarizing – and my experience is that the Rosado is usually the most polarizing of all the RLdH wines. I can still remember the first time I tasted one. Hadn’t been warned in advance, and it was so different than what I was expecting from a rose that I was actually a little disoriented.

I enjoy exposing new people to their rosado – I’ve found that if I get 3 people to try it, 2 will really like it and the other one really won’t. I call it a “Meatloaf” wine ("… 2 out of 3 ain’t bad …")

Michael

J Winery Vin Gris of Pinot Noir

I don’understand the controversy. I love this wine as well as prior vintages. Biggest problem is finding it in the US. Last tried it last summer at Spring in Paris. Wish I could find it here.