Salt and other grinders

LOL.
Grinding Maldon was not the objective or intent.
I’ve had several larger rock salts in my kitchen. One of the
With a grinder from Costco (pink I believe).

I have maldon too and yes. It’s a finishing salt by hand.

I’m sure you saw my comment about salt ruining a a Pepper Cannon.

I have been using the Peugeot grinders for years. I really like the u-select models for changing grind size on the fly. They last forever. Almost every high-end restaurant here in Napa uses them.

Like some have noted, salt alongside ambient humidity may eventually corrode stainless steel burrs. So if you’re int the market for a salt grinder, look for ones with ceramic burrs.

Salt doesn’t loose any aromatic of flavour compounds pre and post grind like pepper or other dried spices. So there should be no difference in freshly ground vs. pre ground salt. That is not to say that all taste the same though.

As some have noted, Maldon salt is predominantly intended as a finishing salt, and one where most want to use to for an additional heterogenous textural experience rather than its pure salting properties.

If you are using it to season something with Maldon salt (however unusual that may be), there’s no need to grind it, as long as there’s enough time for the salt to dissolve into solution on into the meat.

Not for laziness but I use an electric grinder so I can season with one hand and if I need to touch raw me use the other to flip it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091SZDVDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I’ve never liked using 2 handed grinders for this reason. I think people touch too many things in their hands with raw meat juice especially spices and don’t wipe the jars off after.

My Wife bought me a Peugeot pepper grinder for Christmas last year and I’m not impressed. I have to constantly shake it to get pepper to grind. I’m in this thread looking for alternatives.

I attended a cooking class at the CIA and the chef said NEVER use table salt for cooking/baking etc… I use kosher for every day use and specialty salts on a whim but haven’t touched the table salt in 5 years.

Pepper cannon for volume. Not cheap.

Yeah, when I wrote that I didn’t intend “table salt”, per se. Just meant salt other than coarse salt.

-Al

Brian,
Al and I just hope you’re weighing your salt (especially if baking). Big difference between Morton and Diamond Crystal.

Pepper cannon is amazing. Bought 3 more recently. No other hand grinder can compare in terms of output. It’s built like a tank

WTF would you do with 4 pepper cannons?

One for my home in NY, one for my parents place, one each for our Sao Paulo and Rio homes.

Baiting Victor. I hope you’re properly ashamed.

Hahahahahaahhahahhaahhahahahahaha

Hard to genuinely answer the question without doing so. newhere [truce.gif]

My wife and I just bought these as our house Christmas present, and so far are really liking them:

https://www.amazon.com/Zassenhaus-Pepper-Olive-9-4-inch-Stand/dp/B00MBRE6BY/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rCINPwhxZbwnCT_CFNOUrELwo5sPrlUj_e7c1-k8qnex3Ko55bldGAaAjz7EALw_wcB&hvadid=214422578621&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9061080&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1411454633364002334&hvtargid=kwd-315711916534&hydadcr=28576_10017643&keywords=zassenhaus+salt+and+pepper+mill&qid=1638754752&sr=8-3

My Peugeot pepper grinder doesn’t like really large peppercorns. Gave up on the Penzey’s extra bold peppercorns, they were too big.

Yes! I had the idea that high quality grades are larger, by definition, and have this same issue. Would probably love a ‘cannon’ but I am too cheap to spend as much on a pepper grinder as I did on my Baratza Virtuoso.

Are those your peppercorns in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Thanks Mel, I looked at our peppercorns and some are a lot bigger than others. My Wife buys them in a blend of black, green, white, red. The green ones are twice the size of the black. I’m not cutting them any slack though, it’s a pepper grinder. You had one job, make a device that grinds peppercorns. For $70 this thing should work.