Salt & Pepper - What do you use?

You do need to have a high flash point for his politics. He’s pretty close minded.

[snort.gif]

Penzeys

Their quality is sooooooooo good and they have 3 stores in close vicinity.

For pepper, I do the Pohnpei from sirspice.com. I used to do the Talamanca del Caribe, but it is gone and will never be back.

Their sampler pack used to have 7 varieties. I bought one, and did a pepper tasting with a root vegetable gratin as the substrate. I’d still recommend the sampler pack: https://www.sirspice.com/collections/sampler-packs/products/black-peppercorn-sampler-pack

He is everything he rails about as being divisive, etc.

Bill is an unapologetic anti-Trump liberal and talks about it. He does represent and old line Wisconsin political class that way. If you don’t want to read such stuff, Penzey’s may not be for you. If you do, have at it. His positions have generally been very good for his business

I’ve never tried Penzey’s but I the pepper from The Reluctant Trading Experiment is the best I’ve had.

Try the “Applewood Smoked Sea Salt”. Absolutely insane. One taste and you’re hooked.

Can be ordered online form the Atlantic Spice Company, North Truro MA.

Has anyone here tried smoking salt? I figured I’d put a pan of salt in the smoker the next time I’ve got a cook going.

Haven’t tried it, but the melting point of sodium is high enough (801 C) that you shouldn’t need to do anything fancy like cold smoke it. I may have to try it next time I smoke something, should be next weekend.

I started getting the famous emails and I haven’t seen anything particularly close-minded or divisive yet. In fact, I find them to be quite the opposite. champagne.gif

Bill is an unapologetic anti-Trump liberal

Just signed up for the emails. [cheers.gif]

Rob,
Order in, Thanks.

Anyone ever try Moshio salt? Just saw it on “Salt Fat Acid Heat”.

This.
download.png

I use Morton kosher. Diamond used to be a rarity here while Morton’s was ubiquitous, so I became used to Morton’s. Flake salt for finishing or fleur de sel.

I’m a big fan of Penzey’s telicherry peppercorns. And their politics. I just ordered some of their flake salt to try it out because I needed to top up an order to get the freebies.

To the folks who prefer Diamond over Morton’s, can you please tell me why? Is there any reason other than a volume measurement of Morton’s will be saltier than the same volume measurement of Diamond?

It’s explained on Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. For the same weight, Diamond Crystal has roughly double the volume.

For salt:

Standard: Morton’s kosher
Fries: Morton’s iodized
Finishing: Maldon
Meat finishing: Dario’s

It’s easier to layer the salt at each step of the cooking process without the dish being oversalted. It’s just more forgiving. With Morton’s it’s way too easy to oversalt a dish. I suppose if that’s what you are used to you can adjust, but I prefer the flexibility of Diamond.