San Francisco in July

:slight_smile:

Since 3 of the top 4 are also on my list, I have to agree [cheers.gif] And a couple of the names are unfamiliar to me (the two Mexican places), so thanks for those recs! I see Fatherā€™s Day dinner at one of them :slight_smile:

Brian, where did you end up? Donā€™t forget the bar/lounge at a lot of places, generally easier to get into on short notice (and sometimes more enjoyable).

We wound up at Boulevard because they had a 6:30 open up and it was more appealing than my 9pm at Perbacco. Was solid but not exciting. Iā€™ll make a point of Rich Table very soon. Basically every place we mentioned was booked solid. I just called Boulevard from the car on the way up and said, ā€œoh yeah? 30 minutes? yup, we can make that.ā€

Eating out is too expensive. I quit. Iā€™m gonna buy all the damned kitchen stuff I ever wanted AND the pizza oven in the backyard.
Boulevard was fine of course. But two courses, and coffee, and a bottle of Peay plus tip and I donā€™t remember exactlyā€¦ 300+ bucks? Just to eat well?

Havenā€™t been to Boulevard, I assume itā€™s like other restaurants in the group: solid if unexciting. And yeah, hard to get out much under $200 these days, kind of depressing. One reason we really like Scopa in Healdsburg (not that this helps you in SF, just an example). We just go out less frequently, and expect to pay more when we do something on the fine dining front.

We found a new place last night that I think should be on peopleā€™s radar: itā€™s called Prubechu. The restaurant offers Chamorro cuisine. Chamorros are the people from Guam and the other Marianas islands. Iā€™d call the food a fusion of Filipino, Latin American, and Southern US cuisines.

Itā€™s a hole in the wall in the Mission. The setting doesnā€™t look like much, and the service is very casual. But the food is fantastic, unique, and reasonably priced. The chef is a young guy from Guam, and heā€™s definitely passionate about interpreting the food he grew up with through the lens of cutting edge techniques and preparations. I thought the food was as good as any of the places mentioned in this thread charging $100+ per person. Also, they donā€™t charge corkage. You can do the chefā€™s tasting menu for $40 per person, which I highly recommend.

If you are looking for a really delicious meal in SF unlike anything you can get anywhere else, I highly recommend Prubechu. I still enjoy fine dining and love many of the high end French, Cal-Ital, and Spanish restaurants in San Francisco, but if I was a tourist, I think Iā€™d actually prefer a place like Prubechu (or to a lesser extent, La Ciccia or Bar Tartine), where I would have an experience unlike anything I could get in most other cities in the US, and for not too much money to boot.

Thanks for that. I love hole in the wall ethnic places. [dance-clap.gif]

SPQR on Filmore Stā€¦great food and an excellent all Italian wine list

I love Bar Tartine but I want to start a campaign to get them to put the thyme and black pepper gougeres back on the menu.

We have enjoyed RN74 and also like Cotogna.

Weā€™ll be over to work the dough!

Agree - Akikos on Bush. There are two Akikos, one much better that the other.

Update: Wife brought up the subject, no prompting. Walking around yard, andā€¦ ā€œHmmmā€¦ this would be a good place for our wood oven!ā€
Gimme maybe another year. Itā€™s not as though itā€™s the only home project on the wish list. But this is a nice development.

Made a reservation for La Folie - looks amazing.

Still trying to figure out dinners for the balance of the trip.

What about good places to grab a drink? Any canā€™t-miss wine bars?

We went to Rye bar. Quite good, I thought. Wish I could remember everything they put in a cucumber/basil muddled thing.

For better or worse, when I saw the thread title with ā€œFriscoā€ I thought the poster wasnā€™t serious and skipped it. Anywayā€¦ My impression is that Boulevard and Danko depend heavily on the out-of-town crowd, though Iā€™ve not been. One that Iā€™ve not seen mentioned is Plaj. (Pronounced ā€œplayā€.) Scandinavian, including some ingredients like fish flown in, they make their own variety of acquavits, and do some wonderful things with lobster. Not cheap but not high end. Also Zuni Cafe, especially if you have the hour it takes for the chicken with bread salad for two, but even solo they do a great job with oysters (and other shellfish; they typically have boulots) and French standards. However, donā€™t overlook the bar area, which has lovingly crafted cocktails. Both are easy to get to from the Palace. I also like Piperade, though Iā€™ve had trouble getting reservations on Saturday nights. Completely on the other spectrum is Pier 23, which is basically a half-step above a dive bar, but if you want a whole crab for cheap it canā€™t be beat. Friendly staff and patrons, too. Another place I canā€™t help but recommend for AFWE folks is Terroir, which is in a semi-dumpy neighborhood in SOMA, but if youā€™re into low-sulfur, indigenous yeast ā€œvins de soifā€, thereā€™s no place better. The menu is limited (rillettes, maybe a pate, always several artisinal cheeses) but Iā€™ve met great people there as well, especially if you go in the afternoon.

Help me decideā€¦La Ciccia or Zuni Cafe? I am leaning towards La Ciccia, but that wood fired chicken specialty at Zuni has my interest. Unfortunately, dinner plans for our other two evenings are already planned, so I must pick one of the above.

For an SF classic, Zuni is great. Iā€™m a chicken fanatic, and theirs is worth the hour wait. But if you order it right when youā€™re seated, even before looking at the wine list, that hour goes by pretty fast.

Iā€™ve been to La Ciccia four times, and I absolutely love it. Excellent food, and as interesting an Italian wine list as youā€™ll get in the US. You wonā€™t find old Barolos and Brunellos for $300+, but you will discover Sardinian and southern Italian wines for $40 to $80 that you might not see most other places.

If I had to pick one of the two for pure enjoyment, Iā€™d go with La Ciccia. For an SF experience, Zuni.

Iā€™m surprised no one mentioned Foreign Cinema. Year in and year out, theyā€™ve been so consistent on a very good level. Good wine list, the best oysters in SF, and a fun atmosphere.

Thanks, Ed. I ended up making a reservation at La Ciccia.

Iā€™ll skip the restaurant recs since itā€™s been well covered but the number 1 tip I always give to visitors is:

Always have layers (cardigan, sweatshirt, hoodie, whatever) on you. Even if you wake up and itā€™s 100+ out and not a cloud in the sky: bring layers.

Iā€™ve seen too many tourists wandering around the Ferry Building on a gorgeous Saturday morning, enjoying the farmerā€™s market in the sun (I love doing this by the way), in shorts and t-shirts with nothing else on them but sunglasses. Then a while later, they are walking up to Fishermanā€™s Wharf (which I wouldnā€™t recommend going anyway) and suddenly, the fog rolls in, the temperature drops from a pleasant high-80s to a shitty mid-60s. Itā€™s suddenly cold, windy, and wet, and they are miserable and have no choice but to buy the crappy ā€œI LOVE FISHERMANā€™S WHARFā€ hoodiesā€¦

So yeah, always have layers on you.