Santa Barbara/Buellton/Solvang area wineries to visit

John Morris asked me this question and I made up some things, like the idea Sine Qua Non had a tasting room where the Krankls poured barrel samples.
That’s not true…hard to believe I know, but Ojai has a tasting room in Ojai and Bob Lindquist formerly of Qupe has a Lindquist/Verdad tasting room in Arroyo Grande, where Bob has shrines to Sandy Koufax and the Kinks.

Au BonClimat has a tasting room in downtown Santa Barbara along with a few others…Margerum??

Loads of wineries in Lompoc.

Going out on Foxen Canyon road is always a beautiful experience and you can visit Foxen!! Who knew?? Zaca Mesa is close by.

Going out on Foxen Canyon road is always a beautiful experience and you can visit Foxen!! Who knew??

It’s crazy how that works isn’t it? Last month I was in British Columbia and we encountered exactly the same thing. We drove down Black Sage Road and we got to Black Hills Estate Winery. Then we drove down Ryegrass Road and we got to Silver Sage Winery!

Well, maybe it’s not exactly the same but you get the idea! [cheers.gif]

Greg,

You must have gotten very wise.

Last week I was on the Silverado Trail and drove by Silverado Cellars…but I did not end up with silver in my pocket…so sad…

While in Los Olivos:

Wineries: Liquid Farm (say hi to Jeff and/or Brian, favorite chard), Stoplman (hi say to Tom if he is there (syrahs)), and Brewer-Clifton (pinots). Stoplman and Brewer-Clifton are a block from each other.

Eats: Sides Hardware, and the Bear and Star.

Any suggestions for dinner in Santa Barbara? The only one I see is the Lark.

(I’m reading back over the thread, but on my phone. Forgive me if I missed suggestions.)

Lucky’s in Montecito is a can’t miss

If you want the best Boudreaux style wine in the region…then Crown Point is the best…not even close.

Paula’s pancakes in Solvang fort breakfast if it’s still there. Dinner at Hitching Post, get drunk at dinner, walk back to hotel.

La Super Rica on N Miplas St in SB for lunch. Amazing open face tacos, Julia Child’s favorite. There will be a line, wait in it. Order three tacos. You’ll want them. Bring cash, no cards accepted.

Toma, be sure to make reservations. Bringing a bottle of wine might be a good idea regardless of the corkage. I have been to Lark many times and while the atmosphere is great, the food… I don’t get the hype, neither did anyone at the table when we went all out last visit. SB really doesn’t have the kind of fine dining places you’ll find in LA, SF, NYC, etc. Toma is one of the few that manages to do enough turnover night after night and remain stellar. The cioppino is out of this world.

Yes, I go around 3pm when there’s little to no line. 3 “tacos” with tortillas on the side. Grab a tortilla, add some meat, some fondu, some rajas or guac, verde or roja, bam! If you’re there on a Monday the chilaquiles (they don’t make theirs w eggs) special is about the best Mexican dish in town if you order and eat it there and not to go. Rose Cafe on Haley St for my favorite huevos rancheros con carne y queso. There’s something to be said about an old grannie cooking you huevos, and she’s been doing it for decades.

I really like Clementine Carter wines in Los Alamos. Wasn’t expecting to as the winemaker is the ex-wife of an actor and I thought it was perhaps more of a vanity project. But Sonja is really passionate, knowledgeable and the wines are really nice, especially the Grenaches. Cute little tasting room, as well.

Yes Alex

I’d skip the long wait and crowds at Paula’s and head over Ellen’s Danish Pancake House or Mother Hubbard’s - both in Buellton - if you’re looking for a hearty breakfast. I do like Mortensen’s Bakery in Solvang, and Succulent Cafe in Solvang is a good option for lunch.

Thanks. Ended up at Tyger, Tyger, a casual Aian fusion place that was really good.

T-minus two weeks, thanks again all for the reccos.

Thought I’d circle back after some great recommendations here on what was a great but short visit.

I was super impressed by Tyler Winery, particularly the Chardonnays which were precise and dead ringers for White Burgundy in most cases. So good that I joined their wine club. Their Pinots were very good, too, definitely check them out.

Arcadian wines were ridiculously good, but I knew that going in. Joe poured about 10 wines with not a dud in the bunch.

Peake Ranch is a beautiful property and the entire range was delicious. Great hosts who let me use their landline (0.0 Verizon cell service out there) to reschedule a tasting at Pence so we could head into Los Olivos for lunch in between.

Pence was another highlight, wound up buying some estate Chardonnay and their Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir, both really pure and right in my wheelhouse. Got two rides around the vineyard, too, thanks to my buddy losing the car keys on the first trek through :slight_smile:.

For food, Industrial Eats was so laid back and funky - the pork belly sandwich isn’t to be missed, plus no corkage = winning.

Pico in Los Alamos was a can’t miss, had the panko oysters, bone marrow and duck breast. The latter’s portion was a bit small (maybe half a breast?) but honestly between the other courses and wine, it was probably for the best. Super cool staff whom we shared our wine with, too. Next time I’m anywhere nearby I’m going back.

Hitching Post II was just as good as it was in 2006, went with an 8oz filet that was prepared and seasoned perfectly. The Highliner Pinot was just OK.

My overall impression on the wines (which included stops at Melville, Brewer-Clifton, Story of Soil and others) were that they’ve vastly improved since my last visit a decade and a half ago. Barring Arcadian which was always on point, I found the Pinot Noir MUCH more restrained and feminine than I recalled. Didn’t taste a single Pinot that had the dreaded cola note and the majority were modest in terms of alcohol as well. The Chardonnays were great across the board, with many showcasing a lovely salinity and lithe quality that didn’t fatigue the palate.

Can’t wait to return.

1 Like

Bummed I missed you but glad you had a positive experience. There certainly still are plenty of ‘bigger and more structure’ pinots being produced here, but based on who you tasted with, you would not tend to experience them at places like those.

Cheers!

Spent half a day in Los Olivos on wednesday and made it to Liquid Farm, Stolpman, Solminer and Beckman. (Lots of places closed mid-week, unfortunately.)
Nice experiences with exceptional hospitality and good to very good wine at each place, although almost none that I decided I had to buy for future home consumption.
My favorite wine was one of the cheapest offered, the partially carbonic Stolpman Para Maria Syrah. Really fresh and delicious and low $20s.
The Solminer wines were somewhat uneven but they had cool Austrian varieties and weird stuff like a skin fermented Gruner—definitely worth a stop if you’re in the area.
Bought a bottle of sparkling red here to take to dinner at Industrial Eats, which may be the best restaurant in the world. Some of the best food I’ve had in a long time and zero corkage fee. I’d never go anywhere else if I lived in the area.

Industrial Eats is amazing.