Saturday night wines - Prum, Ramonet, Moreau-Naudet, Mugnier, Mugneret-Gibourg, Jadot and Rossignol-Trapet

It was a great price even at the time, but you have to remember how much different prices were at that time. Economic times were not good until about 1994 or so.

1990 Bordeaux first growths were about $60 a bottle on futures (1990 Leoville las Cases was under $30 on futures; 1990 Leoville Barton was $20 on futures). There certainly were no Loire wines selling for hundreds of dollars. Good German Kabinetts were around $10 or so. Everyone was grabbing 1990 Burgundies and so 1988s were getting discounted. There was no Burghound (or A View From the Cellar, etc.) and so most of the wine press about Burgundy was from the Wine Advocate and the Wine Spectator and they were promoting the wrong wines.

There were lots of deals of the century around back then. In the late 80s, I bought a bottle of 1952 Haut Brion for $100 and 1955 Margaux for $80. Truchot’s 1990 grand crus were in the $50s or so. In the mid 1980s or so, I bought 1984 Ridge Monte Bello for $20. And, this does not even count what we all paid for 1982 Bordeaux futures, which made all the rest of this seem really expensive.

It was a different world.

I am afraid I have never had anything but Grand crus. The pricing is just so easy on the GCs, and the cost of bringing it over is relatively high, that I saw no reason to buy anything else. That is changing as they are keeping the price low, but allocations include a choice of Premier. For 2018, I got a six pack of the Petit Chapelle. Curious what I bought.

I try not to think about this too much. Pichon Lalande 1982 at $110 a case. [head-bang.gif]