Saxum Recommendation for Newbie

These wines are polarizing, as you can see from some of the responses. I would suggest trying a couple of different vintages, not all 2011’s, and a couple of different cuvees. I am a big Saxum fan, but 2011 was the one year I had mixed experiences. The '11 James Berry and Booker were each wonderful, while the Heart Stone and Paderewski were disappointing and not at all “typical” Saxums for me. (According to CT, we have consumed 165 bottles of Saxum so take that for what it is.)

Here’s my experience with Saxum. Every year I hesitate at order time thinking $98 a bottle…hmmm. Then I open one especially a JBV and think, wow, I gotta order more of these next time. LOL.

Funny, I stopped buying Heart Stone and only ever bought one Paderewski. I rarely buy Broken Stones either, but Booker, JBV and Bone Rock (up until this $148 price for 33 months in oak) are regulars for me.

I wouldn’t sell the Paderewski short, rather, I consider the component blend in my buying decision. I’m just not a fan of zinfandel–was able to drink them at one point by I think my palate shifted and zins just aren’t my thing. The earlier Paderweski bottlings were primarily zin (largest component) while later bottlings (post 2013) have seen this reduced. I have found the more recent bottlings much more to my liking, with the primary component being mourvedre/mataro.

Grateful for this thread, thank you. Was about to pull trigger on a JBV and either a Heart Stone/Bone Rock, and got invited to an offline to taste a couple of Saxum. [thankyou.gif]

I’m with you Kris, the 11s are killing already. I tried my first 12 recently, Broken Stones, and I’m not uncorking any others until the decade mark.