scholium offer

Really great to meet you as well, Glenn! I certainly agree that the wines were showing great across the board. I especially was struck at how the new releases, bottled just in the last few weeks, were showing their stuff. That cabernet that Glenn mentioned was definitely intriguing (though I’m not sure how much of its nuance I could get as I tried it after Androkteinos and the glorious tongue-coating rocket fuel '08 Babylon barrel sample!) Across the board, it seems that Abe is really hitting his stride with consistent quality and intrigue factor; I certainly found that Scholium 2010 in no way resembles the characterization of Asimov in 2008 when he noted that half of Abe’s wines were “sometimes undrinkable”. At least, I had no problem drinking them today!

I was perhaps most struck by the quality of the whites across the board. I was initially drawn to Scholium by their reds (esp. Scythia, '04 Babylon), and only recently really began getting into the whites. In particular, it was very cool to be able to try a few vintages of Sylphs and Glos, the latter really sticking out in my mind for their singular richness and depth. I’m not sure how the Glos will age, with relatively little barrel time to its credit, but it definitely seems to have the makings of ageworthy stuff. Problem is, the whites are uniformly delicious in their youth, making aging a really tough thing to do.

Also, have to give it up to the Tenbrinks for their generosity, graciousness, and good grub. They had some darn good wines as well, and Abe works closely with them as they get more and more into the winemaking end of things…I am really looking forward to their '09 pinot after bottling.

Very sad to have missed this. Earlier this year I had the Cena from Magnum and it was amazingly fresh and showing lots of minerality. One of my all time favorite wines and one that presents the ability to create some very exotic, stunning food pairings. Also two recent bottles of 04 Glos have showedly extremely well.

How did you like the Rhododactylos?

Lastly A 12.5% Cab??? Sounds wonderful!

Robert, sorry you didn’t make it; would’ve enjoyed meeting you. The Rhododactylos was a nice wine, definitely with that Scholium ripeness factor, but still with ample acidity. That being said, for my money the Naucratis is a more enjoyable drink right now, just my opinion…nothing wrong with either of them. Very glad to hear that the Glos holds up; I’m trying to hold off on popping them and my LSB too early.

By the way, anyone have any experience with the 2007 Gardens and '06 Bricco Babelico? Not sure how these wines will play out over time, and I’d love some advice.

Bricco Babelico wasn’t my thing when I tasted it and I barely think 04 Babylon is ready now!

4+4+2*(1+1)

I thoroughly enjoy the wines and would gladly contribute to the offline, if the schedule allows.

Glenn - great pic.

Got two bottles of CENA in the wake of the pick-up party!

Speaking of aging his whites, I brought a 2000 Les Tenebres as one of the starter whites to the Leo’s Blind Tasting Club June dinner a few weeks ago, to drink opposite a 2000 Magnien Corton Charlemagne. For my money (come to think of it, it was my money) the Les Tenebres was a better 10 year old white than the CC. Creamy vanilla with some roasted nuts and white fruit.

Received, popped and poured a 2009 Naucratis the other night. Needs a little time to settle down, but again, a lovely wine