Schrader offer?

Wappo Hill is the Mondavi vineyard in the Stags Leap AVA - where the Mondavi’s lived (and now Jean Charles Boisset.)

Thanks. Have never had a wine from that vineyeard. Any idea how it compare to ToKalon?

1 Like

It’s a large vineyard, around 400 acres, on the west side of the Silverado Trail. Traditionally Mondavi has not bottled any reds specific to Wappo, but Boisset now makes a Wappo Cabernet and Hartwell T5 is the neighboring property. While I don’t really know the answer to your question, I’m sure TRB pick the best of the best vines for this bottling, and I’ll be interested to see exactly how it compares to To Kalon.

First year on the allocation list…my offer will not go live until February 23. What is typically left that late in the offer cycle?

I love my Schrader and have been on the list since about 2009. I would never compare a Silverado trail wine to To Kalon. Different animal. I have not tried the Wappo but if it were not TRB I would assume more old world than fruit bomb. But, with TRB, I have confidence it will be quite good but no idea what it is like. My offer was for a ten-pack which included everything in the lineup plus a second RBS. Also offered the six-pack case but instead got two Old Sparkys.

I will say, my favorite of all of the bottling is CCS. And after having an epic CCS tasting, I will not change that opinion!

Sparky is always my favorite. Wish they made 750s

Anyone have a Sparky that the label stayed on?

I was on the list for many years; they will never see another penny from me.

2 Likes

Same for me, but for others reasons. I posted my 2014 allocation for sale a week or so before I was to receive the offer. They got pissed. They threw me off the list. That was just as the resale value of their wines crashed. You could get many of their wines at list price, or a few bucks above. The minimum buy in then was roughly $1500 for an allocation. That’s a lot of money.

Thanks to them, I got on the Maybach and MACDONALD list, among others. That $1500 was freed for other great wines, wines that are always consistent if you believe the Cellartracker notes and scores. Can’t say the same for schrader. If you ask me, spend your money elsewhere. Buy other TRB wine. FYI, Maybach and MACDOLALD taste great young.

My 2 cents.

2 Likes

January 29? Why I receive the email that I got the offer from Schrader TODAY February 23?? Is because I’m new on the offer list?

1 Like

Different waves. I think they fill previous buyers orders in January and then make an offer to the new comers with what’s left over from the first wave.

My first purchased vintage was 2017. I’m still in the 2nd tier and my offer today was:

2019 Schrader ‘Star’ Pack: BTK; Heritage Clone; T6; LPV; RBSx2

2019 Schrader ‘Cellar Stocker’ Pack: CCSx2; RBSx2; Wappo Hillx2

WL of 1 additional pack of each above

Not sure if everyone is offered the same packs in each tier but these were the best packs I was offered since receiving an allocation 3 years ago.

Wow, I had no idea they had expanded their portfolio like that! Wappo Hill and Monestary Block are new to me and are Mondavi-owned blocks, not Beckstoffer. Heritage Clone is also a new one, I think, from Mondavi-owned sections.

1 Like

You are correct. There are 3 fairly new wines that aren’t Beckstoffer grapes and I believe are owned by Mondavi. Heritage Block inagural vintage was 2018, Monastery Block inagural vintage was 2017 and Wappo Hill is brand new for the 2019 vintage. Per Jeb Dunnuck: “Heritage Block comes from a single block of clone 39 in the To Kalon Vineyard;” “Monastery Block, which comes from a Mondavi owned block that’s slightly further back in the vineyard and planted all to clone 169;” and “Wappo Hill comes from vines in the Stags Leap District.”

Roy on a side note, I’m visiting my family this week and I’m bringing a Roy Piper 2014 to share. Any suggestions on decant time? Really looking forward to trying your wine! If this isn’t the forum for this question, could you PM me with your suggestion? Not sure if it’s in one of your tasting videos and I just missed it. Thanks

Interesting that Clone 39 is their Heritage Clone, as I thought that clone was only imported in the 90s? Don’t even think 39 is a French Clone. Want to learn more about that.

As for my 2014… I’ll PM you. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Oh I got it, that’s why I only have ’star’ and ‘Cellar Stocker’ Pack offer from Schrader. Once I Check out the star pack then the ‘Cellar Stocker’ gone.

I’m same as your offer and got the first allocation yesterday, don’t know how long have to wait for the Old Sparky.

I see they’re still getting top dollar for ‘unknown’ vineyards.
Old Sparky at $550? It was $400 a few years back in 2013. Looks like the new ownership hasn’t affected pricing, in spite of all the discussion here.

What’s weird is in my offer from a few weeks ago (and I’ve been buying for close to 10 years now), I was not offered the Wappo Hill. So strange.

I haven’t visited the forum in nearly half a decade, but it’s amusing, yet unsurprising to see the same tropes/gripes/positions being debated.

Anyway, I’ve had a lot of comings and goings within my list rotation and Schrader has been a constant. From my experience, there’s been a natural progression based upon my tenure, ordering history and vintage yield as it relates to which pack I’m offered which tends to coincide with timing of ordering window for said offer.

Inre Constellation ownership, there hasn’t been any deterioration in service or quality of offerings I’ve seen. I’ve actually been a big fan of Mobdavi reserve, their Monastery Block and To-Kalon cuvees for a while given the value. I haven’t opened any Schrader MB bottles yet, but I’m generally pretty excited that the rest of the Vineyard Beckstoffer doesn’t own is now available to TRB and crew. Such a special spot in Oakville and Napa at large.
No idea what to expect from Wappo.
Regardless, at $225 per for the grandest of grande cru sites, with TRB as winemaker, I’m sure not complaining. There will always be an interesting lower cost alt but they never stay that way