Sean Thackrey Takes On The Low Alcohol Brigade

Of course you can and should drink whatever you want. But the alcohol difference from one type of wine to the other for 6 ounces of wine is almost certainly not going to be the difference between someone being buzzed or not being buzzed. An example:

If you drink two 3 oz glasses of 2009 Copain Kiser En Bas pinot (13.4%), you will have consumed 6 x .134 = 0.80 ounces of alcohol.

If you drink two 3 oz glasses of 2009 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast pinot (14.5%), you will have consumed 6 x .145 = 0.87 ounces of alcohol.

The difference (0.07 ounces of alcohol) between an AFWE stalwart and one of the poster children for “over the top California pinot” is the amount of alcohol in 1.3 ounces of Coors or Budweiser beer, or slightly less than an old fashioned shot glass filled up to the white line.

How much would your buzz be affected by drinking 1.3 ounces of Coors spread over the period of time that you drink your two glasses of wine in the evening?

Now, if you’re deciding between off-dry German riesling and a table wine, or between Port and a table wine, or a Bandol rose versus a Martinelli zinfandel, then it is more likely to make a real difference in your intoxication level.

I don’t mean this as any sort of attack or criticism, Katrina, but since you raised the issue, I thought I’d add some information on the point, since (in my opinion) people may tend to overread what the inebriation effects are of that ABV% on the label.

Good number crunching, but rather limited applicability. Not pertinent to those who eschew high-alcohol wines on account of how they taste rather than the intoxication factor, or to those (probably the majority here) who drink quite a bit more than 6 ounces in an evening.

Hi Chris

Yes, but you picked two wines that have only a 1.1% difference in abv so of course the difference is negligible. We tend to drink bojos and cab francs on a regular basis, which are closer to 12%. It is absolutely the case for me that I “feel” the effects of 6oz of higher alcohol wine such as a barolo whereas I do not feel the effects of a lower alchohol wine such as a 12% Bachelet Aligote (which we had last night). Not buzzed, exactly, but slightly fuzzy headed. I’d probably drive after having the latter with dinner, but would definitely not after having 6oz of a 14.5% Barolo. And I don’t think that’s surprising, since it’s actually about 20% more alchohol imbibed within an hour period (we only drink with dinner)

Physiologically, it would be easy for me to gradually get used to higher alcohol wines, and then start letting the ozs creep up slowly. I pay attention to these things so that I can continue to enjoy this hobby relatively guilt free.

Taste-wise, I’m lucky that – with the exception of Barolos and Chiantis – my preferences tend to run AFWE anyway.

right, but he was specifically replying to Katrina.

I was responding to Katrina as well, but when I do, crybabies report me, despite David being the one that instigated it with a personal attack.

+1

I need one for each day to wear when I post. [snort.gif]

Nice. Very nice. :slight_smile:
Mr Bu3ker, I like you more each day… champagne.gif

Thanks, Charlie. I was solely commenting on the relative impairment factor of higher versus lower alcohol wines from the same category (in this case, two California pinots), and how I think it’s smaller than people may surmise based on the number and based on the taste / smell of alcohol.

From a taste and preference standpoint, I tend to drink more towards the lower alcohol side of the spectrum myself, though I do still enjoy certain wines made in a riper style as well.

I assumed we were talking about different alcohol levels within a category, rather than comparing Beaujolais to a zinfandel, a Champagne to a shiraz, or something like that. So certainly, the difference could become significant as between categories, and I did mention that towards the end of my post.

One thing that frustrates me a bit is that the ABV% is on the label, and thus we all tend to make a big deal (too big of a deal?) about it, yet the number is so incredibly imprecise. All those French wines that say 12.5% on the label actually only mean “less than 14%,” because of how the labeling laws work. I’d hate to be basing decisions about whether I’m safe and legal to drive on it having been “only a 12.5% alcohol wine” according to the label. I guess what I’m saying is, if you’re going to put those on the label, I’d rather there be a real number on there.

+1 Mr Seiber. Once again- Chris is stating something that is well known but often disregarded by those who only make decisions based on ABV.

Like I said, take that 12% wine to ETS and report back.

[qu

Like most here, I take the stated numbers with a generous pinch of salt. I see them as guidelines, not gospel.

And, just to be clear, I said I wouldn’t drive when I felt fuzzy-headed, not that I wouldn’t drive when the label matches up with a certain number.

yum roberto. sounds delicious!
amarone?

Hey I had a 14.8% Pinot Noir last night (Loring) and loved it.

Again, it’s not a hard line. But we can go round this course again.

/

Jamie Goode weighs in…

http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/uncategorized/down-with-wine-dogma-a-comment-on-the-alcohol-level-debate

Chris, stop bringing those pesky facts into a religious war [cheers.gif]

You just reminded me that I am eagerly awaiting Fall shipping season as I have some 1998 Vallana Gattinaras (12.5%) and some 2005 Vallana Gattinaras (13%) that I am very much looking forward to receiving. In general, I have found Northern Piedmont and then also Valtellina great resources for lower abv – and delicious – nebbiolo-based wines (insert mandatory disclaimers about the known pitfalls of abv labelling here).

C