Seattle and Eastside Corkage

Chuck, thank you! I will definitely check them out.

Anyone tried brining wine to Din Tai Fung (U village specifically) ? I’m thinking aged Oregon Pinot and dumplings could be a thing.

I called. it’s $15

Had dinner at Purple (downtown) last night. No corkage on the first bottle. No need to buy one off their list, which by the way is 108 pages long.
We brought a Bedrock Carlisle Vineyard. I noticed that they had a Bedrock Old Vines on their list.
The food was excellent, the service very good, they decanted my wine (which I did not ask for), and the waiter was funny and bright. A very nice dinner at a very reasonable price. One of my favorite restaurants whenever I am in Seattle.
Not to mention the giganto wine tower in the middle of the room. I will have to get myself one of those.
Phil Jones

Okay, I just called them. It used to be $35 per bottle. I never complained because they keep a cellar with 20,000 bottles, which ain’t cheap. But at some point fairly recently they must have shifted over to the $10 per bottle per person. Thing is, we rarely pay that, either. Why not? Well, maybe because we always bring something exceptional they don’t have in their cellar. (I do always check first.) Then we make certain everyone gets a taste. '62 Latour, '66 Pichon-Longueville, '01 Solaia, '97 Lafite … you get the idea. Our waitperson gets some, the sommelier obviously, even the chef in the kitchen. And this last time around there were two other birthdays across the aisle, so we shared with those folks, too.

I mean, come on. What good is a great wine that isn’t shared? You don’t want to end up like that “Sideways” guy. [cheers.gif]

Now you’ve got me wondering if I should bring a bottle to our monthly dim sum gathering! Guess the restaurant has to have a liquor license, though. Or I could disguise it as jasmine tea. :slight_smile:

I hear Harbor City has super cheap corkage. Seafood fried rice and a crisp white, anyone?

Are u saying they don’t charge u corkage because u share?
We almost always share with server/somm etc and it’s about 50/50 we get corkage waive. I don’t expect it so I don’t care, but curious as to ur experience at canlis.

RN74 is $25/bottle with a soft two bottle limit. Bottle three and up are $50/ea. They won’t open anything that’s on their list which is fair.

Le Pichet $15/btl https://www.lepichetseattle.com/
Serafina $25/btl https://serafinaseattle.com/
Hitchcock $25/btl, fee waived if its a local Bainbridge Island wine (is there any?) https://www.hitchcockrestaurant.com/

As of early 2020 all(?) of Ethan Stowell’s restaurants do corkage at $25/bottle. I’ve only actually done it at Red Cow and Cortina but was told it applies everywhere.

The new Bourbon Steak in downtown Seattle charges $35 per bottle, limit 2.

Canlis discussion above update. They are back to $35 a btl I believe. But limit 2 btls officially.
Certainly if u email the somm, he’s quite nice and will work with you.

Seattle’s biggest issue with corkage is the bottle limit regardless of group size (unless u know someone).

The Canlis website still says $10 per person per bottle. Which, as noted above, is a tremendous bargain for two people with one bottle.

At other restaurants, I agree that the bottle limit, without regard to party size, is problematic. I don’t mind a reasonably high corkage fee. It should be the average profit the restaurant makes on a bottle from their list. Then let large (or medium) groups bring as many bottles as they like. It’s a win-win.
Phil Jones

Ethan Stowell restaurants also have a bottle limit of two bottles per person, but that seems generous (to me at least).

With a limit of two bottles per person, why even have a limit? I’m really wondering what problem they were solving by instituting the limit. I mean, who was bringing three bottles per person before the limit, who will now bring two bottles per person and buy a few extra bottles off the list? Just not seeing that happening, like, ever.

Was at El Gaucho Seattle last night. Brought a bottle and bought a bottle. No corkage charged. Not sure if it is standard practice or because we are regular customers.

We are also regulars at the Tacoma El Gaucho and always bring 2-4 bottles of our own. They have offered me one of the wine lockers to store stuff in, but haven’t taken them up on it.
Usually start off with a cocktail or two per, sometimes order a sparkler bottle (the wives order a sparkling glass each at a minimum), and I always offer the wine or table captain a sample, and I don’t think they ever charge me corkage.

But then again, I usually don’t look at the bill super close. :wink:

Purple now charges $20 per bottle. Used to be free. But $20 is very reasonable.

Cedarbrook Lodge is no corkage if it’s a PNW wine. Food is excellent too.

Are you talking about the hotel near Seatac or some other place? Thanks

1 Like