Seattle Offline - January 18, 2020

I thought the Lamb Sandwich was pretty tasty actually. And easy to eat in a milling around event, but up to you.
We do have a fairly large dining table, and two living room areas on our main level, but people tend to mill around the kitchen counters. We will probably start the event up on our top floor this time, and then work our way down for later flights, larger food.

Pierre-Yves as we’ve been corresponding in PM, the 1989 L d’Or would be fantastic. I have a 1997 and some ‘middle aged’ vintages (05, 07, 09) we could open as well.

That combined with Olga Raffault Les Picasses - I also have 1989 as a backup, as well as 02, 05, 07, 10 to augment Del, and maybe matching the 2010 Les Singulares with 2010 Les Picasses, we have the opportunity for some pretty interesting verticals, comparisons, etc.

But we do have a large number of attendees, so people are going to have to live with pretty small pours.
And unfortunately it does not seem like the waitlist is going to get in unless we have cancels.

Bring the lamb sandwich please! that was pretty yummo.

I can make some Baguettes/cheese and bring… and by make i mean by the chefs at Wholefoods. :wink:

Thanks so much to Jim and Yvette for hosting!

I plan on bringing:

1989 Couly-Dutheil Clos de l’Olive
1990 Baumard Quarts de Chaume
Cassoulet

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Cheers,

Hal

Lamb sandwich it is!

My wife is suffering burnout from having to socialize too long with visiting relatives, and would like to yield her seat to someone on the waiting list.

I’ll also be bringing a Moulin Touchais Coteaux du Layon.

Okay, i’ve updated food and tentative wines on the 1st post.
For people warning of having few reds, this is shaping up to be quite an interesting aged cabernet franc event.
I can certainly augment the sauvignon, dry chenin, and melon categories as needed.
I have Foreau and Huet demi sec, and still some 85 Huet Moelleux which drinks pretty much like a demi at this point.
It looks like we are pretty well covered for sweeties at this point. I do have more if they go quickly.

Okay, with Carol being out, I also adjusted the count down by one for my wife who will not really be drinking much of anything.
So as a result I have added Bryan and Lauren off the wait list and they have confirmed.
Unfortunately as the event is tomorrow, it does not look like we will be able to add the last two folks off the wait list.
Sorry, but we are already down to likely 1.5 ounce pours for many of the wines.

Thanks for all the organizing Jim. Do you have an idea on the setup? Flights? Stations? Do you need any help prepping anything? I’m available if so.

Cheers

Thanks for the update, Jim. As next up on the wait list, I’ll check again later tonight and/or first thing in the morning just in case anyone else bows out.

No worries if that doesn’t happen, as I know it’s a big group and, like you said, the event is nigh upon us. I wish you all good drinking and fun - and I’ll be interested in seeing folks’ notes after the event.

I think the plan is to sip a little champagne and maybe some Loire sparkling or PetNat until the wines show up.
Then we can figure it out.

Should be enough for

• a great Melon de Bourgogne flight
  • Sauvignon flight (a couple Sancerre, a Quincy, and I think I still have a Clos Roche Blanche)
  • dry Chenin (Savennieres, Vouvray, Samur blanc?, maybe a Montlouis )
  • demi sec Chenin, could throw a Romorantin in there too
  • Cabernet Franc, we’ll have to figure out how to organize these, but we should have time.

We could probably do the Sauvignon before the Melon, so there may be flexibility there.
See my previous note about glasses. You probably want to have at least 2 glasses each (I can’t keep track of more than 2 so that is my limit). If you are looking for 2 glasses from me, the 2nd may be a bit on the crappy side (actually my 1st glasses aren’t that great).
If you want great glasses, bring em.

Food: pate and baguette.

See everyone tonight!

Dave Sun had an emergency and had to bow out.
I have pm’d Eric…

More food updates above in post #1.

Jim,
I am incapable of providing food tonight.
I plan to bring 2 or 3 reds.
Olga R Picasses 2011
C et P Breton Galichets 2005
C et P Breton Les Vins des Forts 2003

Do you need more bubbles? As I plan to be punctual.

Later
Del

Thank you, Jim. I am in and will bring a 2014 Olga Raffault Les Picasses, plus food TBD.

For sparklers I have a Piñon Vouvray and a Patrice Colin Pineau d’ Aunis.
Others are bringing Champagne, so I think we are covered.
Should be plenty of food.

Thank you for hosting Jim/Yvette! Great to see everyone.
I snapped a photo of the bottles. Here they are attached.

For me:
Red wotn - 89 Breton
White wotn - 95 cuvee Constance.
Food of the night - tough call, everything was delish…

Might have a bottle or two out of place, but generally they were:

1. bubbly and vouvray
  2. Sauv blanc and muscadet
  3. Breton flight
  4. Chinon flight
  5. A couple of new world reds and dessert wines
    F0BBEA17-A856-4CD5-9350-6A930E667AA5.jpeg
    435DBA41-9E87-469F-BA2B-1DC502926A61.jpeg
    5432063F-5A0D-4C5F-A413-18B99D0C9648.jpeg
    336CD33F-45C4-446E-83EC-8D46F2F57FB6.jpeg
    9E523A99-0C86-48E8-AB21-86D856BA7AFD.jpeg

Nice job on the pics Mark [cheers.gif]

Thanks to Jim & Yvette for hosting. Was a great night with some outstanding wines. And enjoyed meeting your dog!

Agree with Mark that the ‘89 Raffault was my red WOTN. Dry White WOTN was the ‘97 Muscadet (although the ‘14 Pepiere was really coming on at the end of the evening). Sweet White WOTN was the ‘95 Cuvee Constance.

Jim and Yvette produced a well organized and well paced tasting. Big thanks to them, and to all the contributors of food and wine.

Thank you, Mark, for posting the pictures. That is a lot of wine to remember.
My favorite dry white was the Chidaine. Favorite Loire Cab Franc was the 1989 Couly-Dutheil.