Seeking Nebbiolo

One I have been wanting to try (@30-ish eur). Given the price maybe it should be compared to some Barolo wines instead?

I mentioned F. Principiano, his Barolo is about the same 30 (±), if the price moved to say 45, then it is price-wise closer to Sandri’s Barolo than the LN.

With Principiano and Sandri’s Barolo in mind, would you consider Roagna’s LN better, about the same or lesser?

A very interesting question with 3 of my favorite producers. I think Ferdinando is going for a more sauvage style, really as pure an expression of Nebbiolo as possible, to that end dedicated vineyards outside the Barolo zone at high altitude are used. Very elegant and perfumed wines with wild savory notes. Elio’s wines are certainly darker, more powerful, a bit less about Nebbiolo with more of a terroir imprint to a certain extent. And made in style that rewards aging, more old school if you will, and often with a touch of this or that which should be banished lending complexity.

Luca’s wine splits the difference. Super aromatic, elegant, pure, clean, with a core that rewards aging, sometimes even demands it.

Better?

That depends on what you are looking for, what you are pairing the wine with I suppose. Certainly an equally valid expression of Nebbiolo. I suppose the best answer here is that I generally have stopped buying Langhe Nebbiolo. I buy some of Elio’s sometimes, but I buy the Roagna Rosso. I don’t really considerate it to be Langhe Nebbbiolo as it works for me much more like, say, a Vallana Campi Raudii.

I hope that is helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction Greg

Lots of good advice above. Some of my favorites are no longer really accessible to mortals unless you have an excellent source, and they are omitted.

Based on your preferences, a few I think you might enjoy that won’t break the bank:

Roagna Langhe nebbiolo has been mentioned above and I wholeheartedly agree. Likely pound for pound the winner for me.
Fratelli Allesandria San Lorenzo
Fratelli Alessandria Monvigliero
Elio Sandri
Trediberri
Giulia Negri
Poderi Colla Roncaglie
Oddero base Barolo and Villero
Cogno Ravera
Cogno Cascina Nuova- simpler but often more approachable and has that perfumed lift if not the greatest depth
Cogno Vigna Elena- often has fantastic perfume
I love his Brico Pernice, but I don’t think that is what you are seeking
Vajra Ravera (I personally think this is Giuseppe’s best wine- or rather the one I like the most)
Vajra Bricco delle Viole but needs a lot of time to show I think
Baudana Ceretta
Brovia Villero
Brovia Base barolo
Produttori: lots to like here
Principiano Serralunga

On the less expensive side:
Sperino Uvaggio
Runchet Langhe Nebbiolo
Burlotto used to be a terrific bargain, and now has become unreasonably expensive on the secondary market, but his Mores (a blend) is quite lovely and won’t break the bank
Funsu Lange Nebbiolo can be simple and very nice at around 20 ish. Vintage can be variable in quality.

I’m sure there are myriad other choices, but that’s a few I personally enjoy.

Also play with vintage some, choose warmer sites in cooler years, cooler sites in warmer years and you can find some pretty nice surprises.

Happy hunting!

2 Likes

I agree with this, in most vintages. It was particularly nice when the Ravera was cheaper, though now it’s the same price. Still love the Bricco though.

And a very interesting answer, highlighting the differences among the two I know a bit quite spot on. Get the idea where Roagna might be.

Better is not always an easy question to answer if one like them all, for different reasons. My take out for Roagna Rosso, unique somewhere there on the Barolo level of the other two, in its own special way [cheers.gif]

Tonight we had the 2017 Produttori del Barbaresco.
As always with Nebbiolo I am expecting a rough time, this was anything but that.

Striking ruby color for a Nebbiolo.
Moderate nose of cherry and sweet spice, opening after some time.
Medium body with mostly cherry, some stone fruit, tar notes, cedar.
Perfect balance of acid and tannins, moderate finish.
Just a beautiful wine with no edges or distractions, so easy and enjoyable to smell and drink. Can’t complain about the price.

I don’t know why I waited so long to try this wine but it is what I envisioned that Nebbiolo could be.
It just so happened that one my local shops had it and for a good price, so an alignment of persistence, helpful experience from others and opportunity that resulting in a rare discovery and wonderful experience.

Thanks

Nice win, Joel. Not at all surprised this 2017 spoke to you the way it did. A good one to load up.

Putting away or drinking now?

Yep, went back and bought as much as I could justify. Will probably add on over time as long as I can get it.
For me I am not waiting to drink but will put in the rotation so maybe one bottle per month or so , but if it gets better with aging that would be a bonus.
I keep hearing the term “shut down” when it comes to Nebbiolo so I hope that does not happen to this.

Lol

Some of the best Nebbiolos I’ve had have been the normale Produttoris from the 1960’s.

So yes, they do get better with aging. A lot. And that “a lot” means “a lot better” and “a lot of aging”.

1 Like

Yes
though I expect mine won’t see beyond 15 years post-release in this vintage.

1 Like

I’d add the Vajra Nebbiolo as an overachiever in the red fruited style. It’s always one of our favorites and the 19 is silly good at $21 and would expect it to develop and hold for quite a while.

From the 2017s (NL, Barolo and barbaresco) I had so far, which is not very extensive but quite a few samples from different producers I have been quite underwhelmed (stewed fruit profiles, lacking freshness, struggling to stay alive till day 2-3, etc). On the other hand I have seen a few mentioning of some hits so was consider to if challenge my current perception. And PdB is easy accessible and seen a few offers…

1 Like

I cracked a bottle of the 2015 Roagna L Rosso tonite and it was exactly as described - and delicious. It is such a pale red, utterly translucent and it looks like the lightest burgundy in the glass. But its vibrant, packed with flavor and character. Punches tremendously above its weight. Speaking of weight, it has more presence on the palate than it appears. And while it clocks in at 14% on the label, its not heavy or tiring. Well-structured too.

Every sentence here is like a textbook description of a great, classic Nebbiolo. :smiley: So it sounds the wine was really on point.

1 Like

Alan- did you pop n pour or decant ? Opening one this afternoon to try.

thanks

I love the 15 Roagna Langhe. I have been popping and pouring. This is the first vintage of it I have tried, and I am surprised at how accessible it is. Is that the warm 15 vintage or how these normally drink young?

Sounds normal but with vintage character. The ‘13 was a bit chiseled on release. Tannins not too harsh at all, but the wine needs to soften its contours and gain some weight. So kinda sounds like ‘13. Drinkable but needs time. I PnP at a restaurant and nobody thought it was harsh. Really enjoyed.

apologies that i am prob too late to be helpful but in that case it was pop n pour. hope it showed well!