Seriously, a bourgogne rouge for $120.

Almost as bad as the $50 rose.

Just say no. If everyone did, they would soon get the messageā€¦

Billā€¦that is what Burgundy is all about, isnā€™t it ?

I listen lo you ( about Damoy )ā€¦and now I am in big trouble ā€¦ pileon

Thatā€™s ridiculous. I got a Coche Bourgogne Rouge from Crush a couple years ago, not more than three, for less than $50. It was . . . by the way . . . really good.

And my recent 2012 Coche (which was terrific, IMHO, though Fu-master will disagree, I believe) cost me $100 in Detroit. But prices on most of Cathiardā€™s wines are skyrocketing. How much are Bacheletā€™s going for these days?

A little tanjink, but in the Bourgogne Blanc category, stumbled into a monopole from Meo, the 2014 Clos St. Philibert for USD$45 that was just sensational. I scrounged up virtually every bottle left over in the system and have 7 of 'em now. It is the best ā€œscoreā€ Iā€™ve made in Burgundy wines in a great number of years.

Commercial post:

Please please please start drinking some Roussillon wines. I just happen to sell them.

More than a few years back, some guy did ads about Remington razors: ā€œI liked the razor so much, I bought the company.ā€

Well, I liked Roussillon so much, I bought a vineyard.

Dan Kravitz

this is emblematic of the Burgundy bubble. 1990 Rousseau Chambertin cost $1200/case and now single bottles are $3,000 or more. Way more than inflation. Sort of like college price increases! Sellerā€™s market in Burgundy.

Alanā€¦I let other people drink all my Rousseau Chambertinsā€¦as I much ā€¦prefer Damoyā€™s - which are wines for contemplation as Bill N said !!.

For now, no. I passed on this obviously, and bought some Meo Camuzet Bourgogne 2016 for $40. Really trying to find one that I like. I just find most Bourgogne pretty bad values.

And I would guess that was already with a great mark-up, as nearly 10 years later I was buying ā€˜normal releaseā€™ 1997-2000 from a caviste in Colmar, Alsace when I lived close-by in Basel, and I was only paying ā‚¬90 for the Chambertin - so what were they paying - ā‚¬50? I canā€™t, now, believe I only bought one or two each year!

Recent release Meo Bourgogne CĆ“te dā€™Or is dynamite.

All these prices are absurd ā€“ I mean Rousseau, Coche and the like. As Bill said, I bought 1990, 1991 and 1993 Cambertin and Beze for about 75 Deutschmark, 37,50 Euro in todays money. I loved the wines. But would I pay 3.000 Euros for a bottle these days? Certainly not. Unfortunately people with too much money do. This will hold the prices in the stratosphere.

Coche Bourgogne is a fine wine. I had several vintages of it and liked it. But 200 bucks for a bottle? Never! There are other fine wines around for way less. But label drinker will not believe it.

I doubt Rousseau is selling the wines for anywhere near this. I know of at least one winery where the grand crus at the cellar door (if they will sell you any) are about $150 and in the US retail for $700-900.

I would blame middlemen, but the ones we really should blame is ourselves. These are really small production wines and there are people with lots of money or otherwise willing to pay whatever the wine costs to get these, even younger people. If middlemen did not jack up the price, then a lot of original buyers would get bargains and turn around and flip the the wines. Look on this board at how many people say that they would not drink wines they bought at reasonable prices because of the current FMV of the wines. They would sell them and buy something else. Someone is willing to pay the freight. But, I wonder if a lot of these wines are ever going to be drunk or are they more like financial commodities being traded back and forth for ever higher prices.

This whole thread really points to the fact that too many people only know too few names in Burgundy. I bet if we blind tasted Cathiardā€™s Bourgogne Rouge vs. Bourgogne Rouges from producers like Hudelot-Noellat or Jouan selling for far less, nobody could tell the one selling for $120. Even Bacheletā€™s Cotes du Nuits Villages is about 1/2 the price of that wine.

But, Mark said it best. In 2018, I was buying mature 2001 Latricieres Chambertin from Rossignol-Trapet at the winery and, minus VAT but including shipping by Cotes dā€™Or Imports, for about this $120 price. Donā€™t know if they have anymore 2001s, but I bet the only reason recent vintages would be more expensive than this is the tariff.

My view is that Bourgogne Rouge ā€“ even the best, from Mugneret-Gibourg, Barthod, etc. ā€“ are by and large terrible values for the money.

I would much rather spend the same coin on the top producers from Savigny, Givry, and the like. $50 in those ā€œlesserā€ villages will get you top 1ers from first-rate producers like Bize, Lumpp, Joblot, Pavelot, etc.

I scored some 2005 Cathiard Bourgogne Rouge at a local shop recently for $25 I believe, or around there. Very lovely wine but not worth more than $50 for sure.