SF Dim Sum Rec?

This. Although I am guessing you are downtown so Yank Sing will be your best most expensive option.
Btw, if you did go to Koi Palace, go early or be prepared to wait in line for a long time.

If you are a soup dumpling junkie like me then Shanghai Dumpling King out in the Richmond district of SF is par none compared to any other place in the city.

Soup dumpling recipe in this month’s Food & Wine ;0

Yank Sing was good. They swarmed us like killer bees
before we had even adjusted in our seats, with dumplings and duck, fried everything,
more dumplings,
pork buns, chicken, amazing sea
bass in honey sauce, lots of goodies. Very clean, quick, and expensive. Did
the Chinese invent fast food? Good call, though!
alan

Glad you enjoyed YS! My only gripe is that it’s probably the most expensive dim sum in the city!

dim sum is meant to take hours but in today’s world has evolved to getting in and getting out.
Back in my parents’ day, a group would gab and drink tea (in cantonese dimsum is more commonly referred to as “yum cha” aka “drink tea”) for hours after most of the eating was done, or they would occasionally reup with additional bites.
Solo diners, would read the newspaper and occupy a table for a long time.

None of this would (easily) fly these days, with impatient, self-righteous folk staring down your table as they wait for their number to be called. Although looooong-time customers can pull it off.

Solo diners don’t get their own table at the large dim sum places in NYC. Restaurants here have no compunction with forcing parties to share tables if there’s free space.

True. Less common these days. A long time customer can get their own table though. Or a triad boss. harhar

In my humble opinion I think the best dim sum in the city is Great Eastern in china town. Their execution is A+.

Hitting one of these spots today for lunch.

coi palace

Okay. I just ate here last Sunday. One of the worst Dim Sum places I’ve eaten in my life. We went right when it opened so most everything should be pretty fresh and we ordered through the next hour and a half. Wrappers on basically everything were over-steamed (hence wrinkly) and also too much dough. The meat in most everything was very basic in flavor. Most things tasted very bland. Portions were tiny for the price. Even the freshly fried We ordered a significant amount of food and most everything was very subpar.

Koi Palace is definitely the place to go.

alan, next time you want dim sum in LA let me know, I’ll take you to some places that’ll blow your mind ;D