sf restaurant advice

Funny- I definitely remember that from visiting Zuni last year. I was fidgeting all night.

Me too. That and a terrible a-hole waiter have kept us from returning. But given the love by so many perhaps we need to return.

JD

You should read our story from this weekend. They wouldn’t let us use spit cups because in consideration for the guests next to us. But… The guests next to us had a rat looking dog sitting on one of their laps (and alternatively standing) the whole lunch.

Huh?

Ha. Rat Dogs are an abomination to society. Nothing ticks me off more than seeing them in restaurants, grocery stores, airplanes…

i think i had a rat dog on a corner in nyc one time
it definitely wasn’t beef

Interesting. CP just reopened just today after the fire. Last time I was there was last fall, but I thought it was as good as ever, at least up stairs in the cafe. I’m hoping to eat there in mid-July. I’ll be anxious to see how they’ve fared since the fire.

What “shopping, not cooking” type alternatives do you consider superior to ZC and CP? I’d be very interested in trying them out. I am a huge fan of the “superb ingredients, simply prepared” style of restaurant. We don’t get that here in Texas because we don’t have access to that broad a range of great produce, or artisnal producers of meats and cheeses.

Totally agree. We were sort of shocked when the tab came. Add to that the fact that we gave healthy pours of BOTH 03 La Turque and 03 Alban Reva to TWO of our servers, AND bought a $75+ white off the list and they STILL charged us 2x corkage. Food wasn’t good enough to overcome the pique that left me feeling.

I’m still not sure the dog was real. Charlie’s hangover/sleep deprivation was bad enough that he may have been hallucinating. The part about the spit cups is real. [cheers.gif]

It was a Spitcup Chihuahua.

I’ve not been to Commonwealth yet (meaning to get there) but highly concur with Richard on AQ and Frances. Frances has an interesting wine program when we were last there, you can order the house wine and they bring you a graduated carafe and you drink as much as you want and they charge you by the ounce. The wine was pretty decent, nice quaffing wine. They have a red and white they have made for them.

I would also recommend Canteen. You will have to have reservations and there is a “bar” option (the place is more of a dinner style than bar). There are two seatings and the food was quite good the times I’ve been.

Another pretty high profile restaurant that I never hear anything about in these threads is Incanto. I’ve never been. Any thoughts out there?

I cannot refer to any recent visits to Incanto. I do know that they are big on offal which is not my thing and that they were removed from the SFChronicle top 100 list.

Hit RN74 and AQ over the weekend. Both places were very solid with AQ just edging out. The pork dish at RN74 was great. AQ was more creative through out their courses.

Also enjoyed City View and Slanted Door for lunch. Great weekend all around!

We had a very good dinner at Frances on Saturday night. Small plates of sautéed calamari and chickpea frites to start, followed by well prepare duck breast with figs in a duck jus, and sliced hanger steak and risotto atop gremolata. I brought a Chateauneuf du Pape that went well with the food and the wine service was very good with $20 corkage. It seemed most people take advantage of their special of a white and red house wines at $1 per ounce. I think I heard the red was a blend of Barbera and maybe Zin, and the white was Viognier and Sauvignon Blanc. Fun place with friendly service.

Incanto sucks.

Chris is too obsessed with TV and celebrity to pay any attention to his restaurant. Not that Incanto was ever that great…

I guess you have not been to Slanted Door in a long while. Gone is the Gruner/Riesling only list. The wine list now has a lot of reds on it.

I still like SD despite all the lack of love for them now. By far the best in the Phan empire.

The new Hard Water from Phan is just sad sad sad. Service is terrible, awful atmosphere, and who wants to spend $80 on a glass of good bourbon and try to enjoy it sitting on crappy hard wooden stools in a overly lit room?

Funny, but one of the reasons I love(d) Slanted door was precisely for their interesting Gruner/Riesling list. There’s still a bit of that, but it’s definitely cut back, and rounded out now. Still one of my favorite places to go for pretty good food, view, and a nice time. Gene is a tough grader, so I’m glad he still has it on the “OK” list :wink:

i leave in less than 2 weeks and have lots of great info here. will try to hit 3 places a day and taste as much as i can. i think i’m sold on zuni as one of my stops as i’ve always wanted to go and never have.
thanks

Not local, but I always enjoy Bar Tartine when I visit SF. Though I do miss the wonderful thyme and black pepper gougeres from the old menu. They changed the way I make gougeres.