Shakeup at Ridge

Thanks, Wes. In some conversations w/ Dave & Mark, that was their story on why Ridge was doing these new varieties.

Well…Rombauer is bigger than Ridge!!
Tom

There is a much more limited amount of high quality Cabernet in Santa Cruz vs. Napa. I’m sure the opportunity he wanted probably didn’t exist in Santa Cruz.

I’m sure he view the economics of making Santa Cruz Cabernet far better than Napa too :slight_smile:

Geez, how many years do you want to make the same wines? Lawyers are unusual in often spending their entire careers in a single firm. There’s no reason other people have to follow that model.

2 Likes

Well… seemed to work for PaulDraper. Last time we visited, he seemed to show the same passion and enthusiasm he always had.
Jeez… why would anybody in their right mind model their career on a lawyer’s??
Tom

Eric will be coming to Napa to take over Merus bought by Bill Foley some years ago and part of Foley Wine Group.

Thanks for the info. Must have been a hell of an offer.

IMO not a shakeup, nor a reshuffling. Just a normal transition. After 26 years, time for a change, leaving Ridge in excellent hands. I know Ridge reasonably well… my first visit was hosted by Dave Bennion. I have no qualms at all.

As I’ve said for decades, ad nauseum, Cabernet from the Santa Cruz Mountains has to be the best value in great American Cabernet. Monte Bello and Mount Eden sell for a fraction of the price of cult Napa Cabs that don’t have track records in the half-century range. Feel free to call me out with 3Ms: Mayacamas, Montelena and Mondavi Reserve.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Stick to the tabloids. I really don’t see how this is such a surprise at all. Lots of people seek new challenges and opportunities everyday. Eric has nothing to apologize for nor be questioned about. Why would Ridge want him to go?

I doubt Ridge really wants to take on doing Napa. It’s not their home. Any good vineyards are already owned by someone who is not likely to sell or would want the splashy kind of money that is not the Ridge MO. Buying fruit would mean some sort of expansion and not to mention starting up a pricey bottling that they would have to price at a level that would compete with Monte Bello. That would be epically dumb. Ridge is doing damn well without being in Napa. They do some York Creek and leave it at that.

Someone in Napa wants to hit big. They looked for talent that could do what they wanted and though of Eric. They threw an offer his way that made him have to consider leaving Ridge. Or maybe he just wants something new. Good for him. Dunno why people think they can second guess someone like him. He’s the kind of guy that can demand top dollar ‘free agent’ sort of packages.

For me I hope he’s going to be able to bring the Ridge sort of style to a class Napa outfit. Those sorts of wines are few and far between from that appellation. I’m crossing my fingers this is what is up.

And yes, the thread subject line is woefully lurid and missing the mark. One guy is leaving. The rest of the team is staying in place and taking over his responsibilities. Nothing like a shakeup or even a reshuffling at all. But hey, “shakeup” gets more clicks and sounds like food for gossip…

1 Like

10 years ago?

On the surface, that doesn’t strike me as a very interesting project. I won’t be buying due to who owns the winery.

1 Like

From folks who are bit better steeped in this than me, it sounds like Eric has wanted or at least been thinking about making wine in Napa for awhile.

Merus seemed like a good opportunity for him to do that.

Has anyone heard how Ridge fared in 2020?

Not a lot. All or most of their Monte Bello parcels should be fine. The east side of the SCM was pretty much fine from smoke. Their sites are sloped, so there wouldn’t have been lingering, settling smoke. Perhaps some channeled in, where specific parcels got a continuous inflow of fresh smoke. Even if that were the case, their parcels are disparate and extensive, so it would just be a case of writing off some small percentage. We got high quality Saratoga Cab which is doing great, no taint.

Elsewhere, with so many sources, I’d guess something got discarded. We’ll see.

I’m wondering about Monte Bello futures tastings. Didn’t happen last year. They won’t be able to have the old normal big events, but certainly could do something.

1 Like

I’m also wondering what’s planned for MB futures tasting. They’re reopening for tastings as of 2/6. I should be there one of those days to work. My SWAG (and this is definitely a SWAG as I have NO info on this) is you’ll make a tasting reservation as per usual. Starting sometime in March, if you’re a MB Collector member, the tasting will include a taste of 2020 MB barrel sample as well as the newly-released 2018 MB. Of course, there will be new releases of MB Chardonnay and Estate Cab. Please don’t take this as gospel. I’m sure this is all getting figured out as we speak.

It will be tough for me to stay in the MB futures program without the pickup parties. I am getting to old to be buying MB futures but the parties (I mean tastings :slight_smile: ) made it worth it!

Could not agree more with this statement. He will be a breath of fresh air here and I can’t wait to see what comes of it.

Ian Alper wrote:
It will be tough for me to stay in the MB futures program without the pickup parties. I am getting to old to be buying MB futures but the parties (I mean tastings > :slight_smile: > ) made it worth it!

We are also probably getting too old to be buying MB futures, and we miss the parties there, but we will continue to buy into the futures program. We love the wine and the winery. We look forward to visiting them soon!

Ed

2 Likes

I now only buy Monte Bello sporadically, only when I find something with bottle age at a good price. I love Monte Bello, but think it’s best at ~30 years and I’m no longer buying wines to lay down for 30 years.

OTOH, Ridge Estate Chardonnay and Cabernet are consistently fine wines and excellent values. And Monte Bello Chardonnay can be great wine. None of the above need 30 years. So I’ll be buying Ridge, with no qualms about the future there.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Dan,

I agree with you. My only regret is I didn’t lay down a case of MB every year since forever. Anything new I buy now won’t be ready until I am gone.
I have always seen Mt Eden and Ridge as one step from paradise.

Of course, last year everywhere was a step from Hades.

Damn. Waiting another decade for mine. Lol