Short Ribs

I’ve done it both ways but I prefer bone-in. Normally 1-1/2 ribs per person since that’s all I can easily stack while plating. The bones slip right out so getting that portion is easy. I use a large roasting pan as it holds more. In my dutch oven the meat would be completely submerged and I like the crust I get leaving a portion exposed to dry heat during cooking.
69835198-87FB-4D0C-81CB-1EFBCB5DD945.jpeg

I’d think braising and pressure cooking cause a lot of the good fat/marbling to render into the braising liquid it’s cooking in(?) which is why I tend to not buy wagyu for for short ribs or anything that takes long cook times, unless doing something like bbq low and slow.

I agree, I did Flannery boneless in ths recipe once and afterwards wondered who I spent the extra money.

I’m with Mike and Sarah on this. It’s really nice to be able to almost lift off the disc of fat with such ease. I also think the sauce benefits from the flavors coming together overnight.

We either do the Keller recipe with mashed potatoes and caramelized carrots or this barbacoa recipe these days:

Both have their place and both are huge hits with our pickiest of eaters.

I separate the fat from the liquid before I even reduce it for sauce. There is not disc of fat atop my sauce when it cools. Different strokes.

Brian - Thank you for the recipe. I think we came close to your prototype picture. Pictures below for proof. A good friend went out of her way to make a caramel apple upside down pie for dessert. The wine of the night for the ribs portion was a 1993 Ridge Monte Bello. Absolutely fantastic for the meal. Thank you again, Gary
shortrib1.jpg
shortrib2.jpg
AppleDessert1.jpg

[highfive.gif] [wow.gif] Dejavu all over again. Glad you enjoyed it.

Takes a lot of Chard to pull this off doesn’t it?

Brian - Yep. One full bunch of rainbow swiss chard and one bag of small spinach for 6 people. One of the group went back for more and there was not any greens left but plenty of mashed potatoes and short ribs. I would say that depending on the size of the short ribs it’s safe to predict 1.5 ribs/person based on the 2/person I purchased…leftovers yes!

[cheers.gif]

I have some in the Instant Pot right now.
Serving tonight over Risotto with lots of Chard.

I can be over in 15 minutes!

We’ll talk about the next menu tomorrow. [cheers.gif]

I have a bunch of 4 inch short ribs that I want to braise so that they look just like yours! Please describe the technique you use in more detail.

This recipe uses 4lbs of short ribs, adjust accordingly.
I S&P my short Ribs, brown them on all sides in hot oil in a large pot set them aside and sweat my 3Lg onions and 6 carrots in the leftover oil. Slice two heads of garlic and add to pot along with 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, then 3cup chicken stock, a bottle of dry red wine and a bottle of port. Bring to a boil.

I arrange the meat in a large porcelain over steel roasting pan and pour the liquid over the top. The meat should just break the surface. Uncovered in a 350°oven for 2-1/2 hours or 325° for 3 hrs turning the meat once halfway through the cooking process maybe once more when doing 325°. Pull from oven remove meat to plate and tent with foil. I separate the solids and grease from the remaining liquid and reduce then add a tbsp butter and a tbsp flour to thicken. S&P to taste.

For separating the fat I use this, it does all the work for me.
4835FB8A-24E0-4F02-A142-3E97CB9AA0D2.jpeg

[welldone.gif]

I do an Instant Pot recipe. I get a nice crust cooking them first in a little oil after putting garlic powder, pepper, salt, ginger on them. Cook 45 min in Instant Pot then add sauce and broil. Sauce heated first on stove includes soy, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, chili garlic sauce, a little cornstarch. Sprinkle cut scallions and sesame seeds on top and serve on platter.

One of my favorites is the Boneless Prime Short Ribs from Costco. I season heavily with a dry rub, cook indirect in Egg at 225 with a water in a pan for 3 hours. I put some apple juice in another pan, put ribs in and seal pan with multiple layers of foil. Then put back in Egg for 2.5 hours indirect. Then pull pan and put back ribs directly on grill (still indirect) for about one hour. I pull them at 205 and let rest 30 minutes. Shred and eat with or without sauce (kids like sauce). So good.

Working on the Tuite technique and recipe. First, brown the short ribs in oil (I’m using a Le Cruset large pot).
Step I.jpg
Results of Step I for 8 rib portions:
short ribs.jpg
Step II - Go out and buy carrots because you don’t have any. Proceed to Step III when you get carrots.

And…