Since when was entry level Meursault so damn expensive?

+1

Though I have no idea re: the CA side of this statement…a village Meursault (or Puligny) has never been cheap since I started paying attention in the '80s. Everything is relative, of course, and the prices from that era seem cheap in hindsight. Of course, people were then saying the same thing about the prices then-current in the '80s vis a vis those in the '60s. I think this nostalgia for lower pricing is a never ending phenomenon. The past always seems better, though it wasn’t. [soap.gif]

What kind of prices are you guys seeing for current vintages? $40 is for no name producers, more like $50 for anything that’s well-known.

I agree with Mark, the notion of abundant good $40 Meursault is not something I’m finding. If Thomas or someone wants to post a gaggle of links to available buys like that, we’d all love to see it, and I’d be most happy to have been wrong on this point.

pierre yves colin morey narvaux, i’ve gotten a few offers on it at $50. That’s a fantastic wine at the price.

Who has the PYCM narvaux for $50? Lowest I’ve seen it for is $65…or $5200 for a 6L:

http://www.etcwineshops.com/wines/pierre-yves-colin-morey-meursault-narvaux-village-2011-0

Someone buy this and invite me! :slight_smile:

It can be, but there’s also a lot of duds. That’s Burgundy.

Holy crap, I just proved you right! After a beautiful bottle of 2007 Pierre Morey Meursault Les Tessons with dinner last night, I tried to refill newer vintages. The price has tripled, averaging $99!!! I paid $33 for the '07, and it doesn’t seem that long ago. [shock.gif]

Cheers,
Warren

great call.
I’ve received a few offers at or near 50 bucks.

Can these sources be named here or at least PM’ed? I don’t buy in quantity so one more email recipient will not spoil an offer :slight_smile:

I was thinking maybe F Jobard’s En la Barre would come in at below $50 but quick search hitting around $60.

When I think about it, though, it’s no different from village bottles of rouge in the Cote d’ Nuits. Villages from the various communes are well above $50 for the most part.

I rarely regret what I paid for a good bottle of white burgundy, though.

I don’t have any data to answer/support this…but I’m wondering if these are going up because folks are moving down the white burg hierarchy due to premox (from Grand to 1er, and 1er to Village)? If true, seems like Meursault would esp be affected, cuz I think M kicks ass :slight_smile:

Coche entry level Meursault was $1k at Le Bernardin when we dined there recently.

Today, I believe that good entry level Meursault starts at $60ish. If one can find PYCM Narvaux at $50, that is a really nice deal. Also, if one can find Pierre Morey Bourgogne, which should sell for about $30-35, that is a wine to buy. It is declassified Meursault, and easily passes as good villages-level Meursault.

This might be a bit off topic, but I’m fairly unfamiliar with Auxey Duresses whites and am wondering how/if they compare to Meursault wines (in terms of balance and style/flavorProfile/etc)?

What a Ripert-off!

Judging from the ones I know from producers who also make Meursault (those being Boisson-Vadot, Jean Philippe Fichet, Benjamin Leroux) I’d say it’s roughly similar in profile to Meursault, maybe a little less intense. Alain Gras for example produces a different style of Auxey Duresses blanc - lighter, not very oaky, not very exciting either. But for my taste, the Auxey Duresses blanc from the above said producers are similar to their Meursaults, just a few steps down the ladder.

2014 Patrick Javillier Meursault Tillets - $44.99 at Vins Rare.
No affiliation.

Cheers,
Warren

Not joking: I once (5 y ago) bought a Montrachet for roughly 50,- … it tasted like 60,- … so a good business !
[cheers.gif]

binnys has vincent dancer meursault les corbins for a hair over $40. perhaps he is unknown here but this is not the case in paris, not to mention this is nearly the same price one would expect to pay for such a bottle abroad. there are plenty of deals to be had, you just have to look outside the hyped producers. and just because someone has a reputation in export markets does not mean they do domestically, and vice versa.