Six Figures Wine--New Field Blend Project

Waiting for Cameron Hughes to blow these out at $8 a bottle.

That was my question above!

[drinkers.gif]

Guilty as charged. I am both a hypocrite and a whinging teetotaler. [rofl.gif]

Six Figures and no price listed?
That figures, if you have to ask…

Disclaimer: I work with Aaron and Rande for their Source & Sink wines

While I’ll agree that the website copy needs some work, I’d just like to say that commenting on their approach to winemaking and/or farming (even if wrong) can be done without getting personal. I don’t know the other guys in the project, but Aaron and Rande are working on extensive vineyard revitalization projects throughout Sonoma Valley and farm organically for Source & Sink. I would be shocked if they didn’t approach all their projects with similar integrity.

Now, Aaron & Rande, I think revisiting that copy is in order and not because of the cursing.

That’s not totally fair. Where has anyone gone after the winemaking or farming? Let alone their integrity? Someone posts about a new project on a website full of wine nerds. It’s reasonable to expect those nerds to call out when someone is playing loose with wine terms like “field blend”. But I don’t see anyone attacking the winemakers personally or for their skills.

Just reading the thread title, calling the project “Six Figures” seems… gauche. I for one wouldn’t want that label on my table, tongue in cheek or not. Between that and the swearing (from what I gather here), it all strikes me as either ignorant or arrogant.

The website says nothing about farming or winemaking… it says six bros decided to make wine (“fuck it, why not”), and they are calling their wine a “field blend.”

“self-impressed jerks” “Sounds like they bought some very random fruit (or lots of wine) and are trying to create a brand.”

Quoting from above, for what it’s worth. That’s the most obvious example of things absolutely getting personal.

And again, nothing wrong with commenting on the style of the wine or the terminology they are labeling their wine with. Totally fair game, which I think goes without saying.

Okay, fair point. I had missed that post. Dumb personal attacks are just, well dumb. But even those dumb attacks belie the same general issue about how the wine is being positioned.

Then again, this board isn’t necessarily the target market. So if they can sell the wine, who cares what this board thinks?

Release price is $26/bot. That’s pretty reasonable. The shipping is a beast though, $44 for a six pack. I guess this is pretty standard these days.

My favorite thing on the intro page is “WHOM MAY WE THANK FOR THE INTRO? … o A Jewish mother of the team.” Hits too close to home.

Anything SIX FIGURES is out of my price range!

So much negativity here. Good luck to the team and the new project!

It’s obviously not a field blend. The name is a fun word play - if it were a pricey wine, it would come off as douchey, but it’s not a pricey wine. Blends are difficult to sell, as the market has it drilled in varietal wines, from a handful of varieties, with few exceptions, are where it’s at. The blend is pretty interesting. Was any thought put into it? I’d like to see some rationale spelled out. Calling it a field blend implies its makeup is predetermined, rather than crafted in a winery. But, it does look like a feasible blend.