Sky Zinfandel Anyone?

I sold them back in the 90s in San Francisco. I recall they were solid, honest mountain wines not quite as refined as Jerry Seps’ Storybook Mountain. The labels were cool. I imagine that Morgan will do the fruit justice.

I remember Sky Zin from the 90’s. My favorite restaurant, The Winds Cafe, in Yellow Springs, had Sky on their list. It was big and peppery and they paired it with their spicy dishes.
It was my first exposure to real zin and led me to Ridge and Turley. That was 20 years ago.

1 Like

FYI K&L Wine Merchants has the 2013 Sky Vineyards Mt. Veeder Zinfandel on sale for $20. Seemed like a no brainer to me so I picked up a few to try. In addition they have 2018 Ridge Pagani Ranch Zinfandel for $30.

1 Like

I am amazed that you have not had this wine. It has been, IMHO, the single best iteration of zinfandel from Napa Valley for as long as I can remember. Further, the folks who make that wine, Lore Olds and his daughter Skyla, could not be more salt of the earth. They march to their own drummer and are unfettered by stylistic fashion. Natural wines before it was cool - but not with any of the pretense. Just very simple, honest wine making. The wines feature seamless balance, true to site and variety brambly dark fruited zinfandel expression and offer longevity to the patient. Wonderful mountain fruit from high up on Mt. Veeder. I have had twenty year old sky zins that have aged effortlessly and developed into very special wine experiences. And as a kicker, the label art is also fun and pretty to look at. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

The 09 I had last month looks to be my WOTY. Just stop you in your tracks good!

Hi Loren. I assume you are referring to me. The original post is a year and a half old. Since this post I have had all their 10-15 Zins. Very much like you describe by the way. And thanks to K. Steward for pointing out this deal. I just bought a few more at $19.99 each. Amazing price.

Tom

Btw - they used to make a late harvest zinfandel that was absolutely kick ass.

Nice! Have an 09 Late Harvest as well. If its half as good as the regular bottling, I’ll be a happy camper :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip. I’ve wanted to try one of these since I listened to the Bedrock podcast episode on Sky Vineyard, and this is a great price.

Loren I have to agree. I live the wines. I had a chance to visit about 10 years ago. Just crazy. I am glad they are finally getting some love from the public. We are lucky to get them here in Portland.

I bought a six pack. I’ve always wanted to try these. Thanks!

Thanks for turning me on to these. Opened a ‘13 tonight, and it displays that great mountain fruit, classic zin spice, and a nice dose of acidity.
2372A0C0-6F9E-42D3-B8AA-36A4BB97CFE0.jpeg

Did Sky Vineyard get completely razed with the fires this past year?

Believe it was the 2018 fire

It was the 2017 fire and some of the estate survived. Not sure if or when they will make wine again.
They do have some back vintages on sale on their website.

Drank the 1991 last year which was sourced from the Davis Cellar on final visit.
It was alive and well, black cherry slowly emerged, licorice, earth, truly harmonious.
Wow, how did I missed this brand reaction?

Was about to buy 6 bottles of the ‘13 Zin, but saw shipping was (from NorCal to SoCal) is ‘zone 4’ and over $30.00. No thanks

Just get a bottle and stop crying!

[cheers.gif]

I have a 2013 that I need to open.

How can you be not only a Wine Berserker, but the original Wine Berserker, and get cold feet about $5/bottle shipping?

1 Like