Smith-Madrone cold call

Lots of competition here in Napa Valley. New brands every vintage, and as interested parties and collectors, this audience tends to chase the latest offer. Pretty much anyone can sell the first vintage or two, then things get serious. Smith-Madrone has been in business a long, long time. I thought Matthiason was highly allocated, but what do I know.

I know it is NOT part of my model to call a customer or potential customer to make a sale. I call when I need information to get their already-purchased wine to them. Does not mean anyone is right or wrong; this is just my comfort level. I DO send emails, reminder emails, and last-call emails. My ranch and my business are very small. I work a lot and play a lot. But I do need to sell wine - otherwise my out is to drink it! [cheers.gif]

Yeah, I have no objection to receiving marketing via email, or even physical mail, lord knows my inbox and mailbox are full of wine mailing lists and newsletters. There’s something passive about email and snail mail that just doesn’t grind my gears the way that an actual phone call with someone trying to play hardball does.

I couldn’t ever imagine buying anything from someone cold calling, on the phone or at our front door. When I want something I’ll go looking for what I want. Not only do I find the tactic invasive of my time, there are far too many cases of cold-calling crooks.

I got the call from Matthiasson as well today. Thought the fellow was quite pleasant and definitely not hard sell but I did cut him off quickly since vet bills here have replaced this spring’s new purchases. I was startled that they were going this route since I think of Matthiasson as likely to sell out etc. The offer included wine club pricing and low shipment fees iirc … I might have been tempted if I were buying - and did not find it too intrusive - but would if this became a usual thing.

Everyone loves to buy, but most people don’t like to be sold to.

I understand the need for a business to sell product (I’m in Sales!), but it’s unfortunate that competition is pushing the industry this direction.

I guess the question is what is long run more brand corrosive - cold calling people who last bought from a winery back in 2007, or engaging a flash sale site to deal with some slow moving 2011’s.

Neither seem like happy choices.

There is no doubt that it is probably ‘more profitable’ to try to re-engage those who have purchased in the past than to acquire a new customer. The challenge is what is the best way to do so?

I would certainly do this via email instead of phone calling, which to me is a bit more ‘invasive’ these days, but to each their own . . .

And the funny thing - many on this board either do dig these wines or would if they tried them - old school in style for sure and pricing is quite reasonable.

Cheers.

On the call, I was tempted to suggest they instead engage with folks here. I’m always a bit surprised that Matthiasson does not receive that much attention here.

I do really like Smith-Madrone wines.

The Chardonnays - pure Chardonnay fruit flavor.

Interesting the responses. I don’t take cold calls; in fact, I will not answer a call if I do not recognize the number. Learned early on that 19 times out 20, they were sales, like insurance or wealth management, or headhunters. Seems like an ineffective means of drumming up business, but the stats must show it works to some degree. If Smith-Madrone is doing what it can to shore up its business or survive, I applaud the effort. Would be interested in seeing some more current notes on the site since Larry refers to it as a traditional winery. Heck, would love to see more Matthiessen as well. Only had it a couple of times and liked it, and fairly priced.