So we opened 57 bottles of Saxum this weekend...

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing. BTW, P&P young Saxum is fine. Never had anything but a great tasting experience.

2017-01-21 21.10.55.jpg
In addition to the 17 Saxums Brian listed for Event #4, there was also the “Extras” Flight. We had corked and recellared the unfinished bottles from Event #1 and #3. This amounted to 4(?) Bookers and 12(?) mixed Bone Rocks and JBVs. It was interesting revisiting these wines after a bit more air time.

feel free to bring in a couple of weekends :smiley:

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail. We will have to do this on the East Coast with magnums just to teach them how it’s done. Loren?

IN!

Great report!. I remember when this was being discussed in the Saxum Caves post HdR. So awesome that you were able to pull it off!

Cheers, [cheers.gif]

Steve

Pretty nifty; thanks for sharing! Introvert that I am, I must have been checking out the vinyl collection while the hard chargers discussed this in the Saxum caves last April. So it is entirely by coincidence that I pulled the corks on Justin’s first two releases just two weeks before your blowout. Given that the late-‘90s Linne Calodo releases have long since aged past my tastes, I was very happy with these. Notes provided for grins, and with the proviso that my group (unlike me) mostly thought the 2001 was in better shape:

Syrah
2000 Saxum
Bone Rock
James Berry Vineyard
Paso Robles
DOUBLE-DECANTED JUST PRIOR TO TASTING.
. Quite full, mature bouquet developed on a softened pillow of ripe cherry fruit. Fine, almondy oak note. Palate shows better structure and fresher fruit than the ’01. Very good, still integrated acidity. Leans slightly and starts to separate only in aftertaste. 92

Syrah
2001 Saxum
Bone Rock
James Berry Vineyard
Paso Robles
. Fairly rich, quite mature bouquet, now nutty and earthy, with a fecal note. Sweet, rounded, yet still defined raspberry values. Intense on palate. Slightly rough acidity; texture starting to separate. Fruit rolls off, leaving a slightly tannic aftertaste. 91A