so who still gets wine spectator? and why?

Enjoy reading it every month. I always liked Kramer’s pieces. They have good articles on travel and places to eat. We’re doing Champagne next summer with many of the stops being their recommendations from over the years.

As stated above, I likewise have drank and tasted with some of their writers. They have very good palates and their ratings are typically logical and understandable after you have a feel for their palate. A lot better source than a community ranking system with rankings for the same wine routinely going from 78 to 96!

I keep all WS vintage rankings guides. A very valuable resource to me.

The online threads by their writers are good also. The writers will often take part in the threads and explain behind the scenes details in the industry that aren’t always apparent. They often provide a different slant to news than the winemakers or winery owners put forward.

I’ll occasionally get it for 6 months or so out of the blue. No idea how or why. Occasionally there’s a travel piece that gets my attention. It’s kind of the anti-Playboy: I look at it for the pictures more than the stories.

I get it with a $2/year subscription. Would never pay full amount for it.

I still get it and read every issue. They have some fun articles and producer profiles. Also I must say, since the Suck and whatever the old Napa guy have retired, the reviews are much more sane.

Pretty pictures. Good travel articles. I miss Matt Kramer - he was the best. And they do tel youl something about the wine they review. Now that the Wine Advocate is what it has become, where do you go for reviews? And the NY Wine Experience was pretty amazing before it turned into a zoo.

[quoteI do for $2 a year through company discount. I have the same $2 option for many magazines from Car & Driver to Food & Wine and everything in between][/quote] I think I would do up to a dollar on the Food and Wine. $2 for WS I would be in.

If they are about to expire and the airline offers you magazines instead of them going into the waste can, that’s free.

I subscribe to the online version. They have some good articles every now and then but it’s not something I spend hours at every day. I enjoy reading about wine and their articles about Napa news are pretty interesting.