Software for cellar inventory reccomendation?

But cloud based storage is so much more robust than your home system. I am making some assumptions here but… I bet cellar tracker’s database is housed in a secure data center with offsite, continuous back-up so that even if their data is compromised there is another copy located in a geographically different location. I am also making some assumptions that your home computer may have 1 back up to a network drive located somewhere in your house (if you are savvy). If you are using local storage and your house gets hit by lightning and fries your electronics, your info is lost. (side story: I just witnessed this happen to a co-worker, I didn’t actually think it was a thing until about a month ago). Spill coffee on the computer. Dog knocks the computer down the cellar stairs. Wine bottle slips and spills on the computer. Un-backed up local storage is a disaster waiting to happen! If you are backing it up to a remote location, you’ve already started to leverage the “cloud” so just go all in.

As based on my rant above, you can probably tell I am a CellarTracker vote.

unless you want to spend the time developing somethign with the functionality of CT, I dont get why you wouldnt use it.

If you dont like the fact that its cloud based, just run a daily extract to give yourself a back up.

Your own prem back up might well be cloud (e.g. Dropbox) anyway… and its not like its banking information if you’re really paranoid.

I use Excel, have for many years.

This. Very much this.

I love doing practically everything with Excel yet I have no reason whatsoever to do cellar inventory with Excel when CT does everything and much more so much better.

• infinity for CellarTracker.

Thanks. I have a home network. I use a NAS, and that has a backup. I also backup all my home files on a USB drive that then goes into my safe deposit box. It includes pictures of all the stuff in my home that is insured. I do have remote access to my home network, if I really need to get to a file. I rarely do though.

I spent some time watching the CT demos. I liked what I saw enough to give it a whirl. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Dropbox could really make your life easier, you know :smiley: No need to USB/safety deposit box. Just hard core send that shit to dropbox. Get a premium version as well and you’ve got version history too.

Can I store gold/silver/notarized documents (will) in this “dropbox”?

Going off on a tangent…

Sure, most cloud services are robust from a technical perspective (or at least that’s the intention; implementation doesn’t always follow suit). The risk is that in the blink of an eye, you may find yourself unable to use them and unable to access your data. It could be the result of hacking, buyout, a new business model, government action, incompetence, whatever. There’s a multitude of risks that are almost impossible to quantify.

Granted, this matters more to somebody running a business than your average wine berserker, but it astonishes me how quickly people and organizations have given up control of their data.

FYI, if you have your cellar already in Excel it will be easier to import that into Cellar Tracker than trying to enter everything again. Eric and team have done it many times so they can walk you through it with no big issue. Then you can go in and tweak the crumbs that didn’t get in quite right.

There is also an app for your smart phone so you can access your cellar easily anywhere, anytime.

The nice thing about Dropbox is that your data is both in the cloud and on your computer (or computers of like me you have a number for redundancy). This does not address the security issue. But I have never had concern about access to my data.

Or and CT all the way. So much more versatile, and so many more functions, than an excel sheet.

Here’s another option after 137 votes for Cellartracker :slight_smile:

VinoCell

Only available on iPhones/iPad. This is certainly one for the geeks who love statistics and are not afraid to put 5-10 minutes in to enter a new wine (there is a database but I don’t find it accurate enough) with all corresponding information you want to have (from region, to elevage time to soil type), but if you do that you get unlimited search, sort and statistics possibilities, as well as the visually certainly most beautiful app. In addition you see exactly where every bottle is in your cellar(s) - cellar management system is quite broad and good.

You find more info and pictures on the web (apps.vinocell.com)

Guess I am in the extreme minority on this one. I have been using VinoCell for 5 years and I like it. I input all my own data instead of using the search feature. They do have an option to import/export from CSV.

That does look pretty from the app website. The ability to graphically display your cellar is nice . . . seems like the Apple cellar app to the CT Microsoft approach [wink.gif]

Is there a way to manage your cellar online/desktop as well? Nice as the app looks, seems like something one would want to do from a desktop from time to time . . .

Looks to be available in the cloud. I have not used it in this manner.
https://cloud.vinocell.com/en/login

Laying out my cellar graphically is a huge bonus considering I have the bulk of my wines off site in lockers. I asked the developer if they could add a new feature to relocate entire cases within the graphic view as right now it has to be done bottle by bottle. This takes some time and can lead to mistakes when back shifting cases.

I was not familiar with VinoCell. It does look quite useful, though the fact that it cannot be used on a desktop is a drawback. I would like the feature of visualizing my cellar – maybe CT will add that feature at some point – hint, hint. :slight_smile:

I just got a response from Richard Sandler @ rasandler@verizon.net from who I got a visual cellar based on CT Excel download. One of the pages showing wine names had a glitch. He said Eric had changed the columns and was going to look into it and send me how to repair and get it working. The pages Rack view and rack count work as originally set up. I was moving/rearranging my cellar and thought I may have done something to mess it up. I got a new computer when mine crashed several years ago and I think another new one for W10 may be needed now. I have Vinopal on my iPad, but it is older than dirt and also needs to be replaced and I seldom use it anymore.

CT is the bomb. I just renewed my support of the site last week. I like being able to use my laptop, iPhone or iPad to peruse my wine anywhere I am. Plus the ability to look up wines I am considering is a huge bonus. The VinoCell sounds nice, but it sounds like people are entering their own wine a lot. I think I have done that five times in ten years of CT.

You can indeed use it from desktop but it’s not really made for that and it’s not really good. I use iPhone and iPad only.

I considered a graphical view of my cellar to be a bonus - but wasn’t thinking about my lockers. You’re right, that would be a huge bonus!