Some Uncle Bob Quotes From The New HGs

Jim, many thanks for clarifying.

Interesting stuff on Peynaud, Bill. Thanks.

I think Parker’s safe on this score, since I don’t believe he’s made many cellar visits in recent years. He generally has samples sent to him even if he’s in the region.

Does anyone else who is as old as me and remembers the time have a different version of history (other than Robert Parker)?

I personally pretty much disregard anything that comes from Bob or his publication. He has steadily become more irrelevant for me over the past couple of years. My palate doesn’t jibe with his more frequently than I am comfortable with and I think his judgment is impacted by outside factors.

I’m sure he’ll get along just fine without me, but I wonder how much his reputation has taken a hit on the macro level.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I’m continually perplexed at why everyone bashes Bob (on this board and on the old ebob). I’m not a friend of Bob’s, but I’ve had dinner/lunch with him a bunch of times and drunk quite a few bottles of wine with him. For me, he’s a fun guy, who likes to eat and drink, and knows a hell of a lot about wine. I also find him to be down to earth, and not at all the egoist that many criticize him for being. Again, no horse in this “bash bob” race, as we’re very light acquaintances, not friends, but I’d drink/eat/hangout with him anytime. Okay, just had to get that off my chest.

Hey, clarifying is his middle name.

Well, actually, it’s sort of his last name. [rofl.gif]

[Note: If this isn’t as funny to y’all as it is to me, it could be the large quantities of Produttori Barbaresco I consumed tonight. [berserker.gif]

I think people get annoyed that he insinuates its an issue of poor character (eliteism, narrow-mindedness) when people do not agree with his palate. Also, he invited quite a bit of ill will when employees of WA were caught violating their code of ethics and then handled the fallout very poorly.

That said, the bashing often goes to far.

You know, when the guy says really stupid stuff that also undermines his credibility (e.g. his statements on the 2002 Shirvington), he’s going to take some stick. Maybe he should think about what he publishes once in a while.

I’m just curious, Brad, how you interpret his “narrow-minded” comments about that particular wine (if you’ve had it recently). I have had it and find his comments (and assessment of the wine) well beyond the pale.

It’s quotes like this "“While it is a poster child for modern Australian wine that is often maligned by narrow-minded tasters, this 2002 has not fallen apart.”

It’s one thing to disagree, but calling people narrow-minded when they don’t like what you like does not give the impression of a fun guy who’s down to earth and not an egoist. If the latter impression is the one he wants to give off, writing things like that doesn’t help.

Whatever nowdays is said about Uncle Bob - he finally did it in the 80ties! And it is no secret that some of his critics lust for his throne. It’s not that difficult to find contributions - also here - that clearly tend in this direction. [highfive.gif]

BTW, the latest “German” modification of that citied slogan is: “What should it care an oak tree if a wild boar has a scratch at its bark?” [tease.gif]

Regarding his “surroundings” of the tasting notes I tend to stay oaky, regarding the content itself I know his preferred taste which in most of the cases positions me to adapt it to my taste. So I still see a lot of advantage reading his notes and skipping the sometimes sad rest. [dance2.gif]

dieter

You guys need to get on with your lives. deadhorse

Nice to have a first-hand account, Howard, thank you. Even if Parker’s distinction is to have been the the only significant U.S. reviewer praising the 82s, though, that would have helped to establish his preeminent position in the U.S. market, at a time when the U.S. market was rising to prominence worldwide. I thought this was, more or less, the point in Emperor.

Bob’s a smart and able guy - he’s made a good career out of his hobby, and how many of us can claim to have done the same? But the habit he’s acquired of attacking the character or intelligence of people whose views differ from his is bound to alienate many folks - in my view, rightly so. He’d be a happier camper if he could rise above the fray more often than he does.

I wonder if the next great market steersman will be a Chinese or Indian writer?

Bob, I am not Parker follower, but I am curious how you can discern which wines you overlook his scores and reviews? Do you only trust his palate on Bordeaux or California cabs, for example, and ignore his reviews on other regions/varietals, etc.? (I am not trying to single you out and please don’t take this as a personal attack - I am really just interested on how Parker is relied upon for wine purchases based upon your statement).

Yes, that is the crux of the issue. It is not that he gets it wrong sometimes, and it is not that he doesn’t know wine…but it is the fact that if you disagree with him, or if he does get one wrong…he makes it his life’s work to berate you publicly, while staunchly defending a rating that he knows is flawed.

Be a man, if you rate something 100 points and then the wine falls apart - write a little blurb in the HG and say “wow, did this wine do a 180!!”. It’s pretty simple, and only adds to a persons credibility.

I agree that Robert Parker earned his way to his preeminent position in US wine writing. First of all, his style of wine writing (including 100 points) was much clearer and easier to understand than the other wine writers in the early 80s. At that time, a lot of wine writers (particularly the British ones) were tied to the trade and they almost never criticized a wine. In the early days, Robert Parker often criticized wines he did not think were up to snuff. Second, Robert Parker rated wine based on what was in the glass, not based on the winery’s reputation, which was not common among wine writers at the time, although a couple of others were starting to do so. Third, he made a number of correct calls, including on 1982 Bordeaux, but also pointing out fairly early that 1980 Burgundies were better than people thought and that 1983 Burgundies had issues at a time when the trade was promoting the vintage as great. So, yes, he earned his place and deserved it.

He starts the fray on too many occasions. Whether it’s 1997 Harlan, Sierra Car Crash (where he gets a couple of friends and his wife together to taste a bottle and “refute” the people who’ve noticed problems) or the 2002 Shirvington (which everyone else’s opinion that I’ve seen assesses the wine as marginally acceptable to a train wreck depending on their current bottle but Bob still defends as a high-90s wine), he takes an indefensible position and insults everyone who disagrees with his opinion (and his opinion from years ago is what is at issue). Wouldn’t it be refreshing to hear him say about the 2002 Shirvington “I retasted the 2002 Shirvington Shiraz recently and was very disappointed with this wine. Although it was outstanding when young, it has not held up as I thought it would” - or something to that effect?

The bottle we had in October 2009, within a few minutes after opening, was a disjointed mess. It may have had a brief moment of drinkability, but it crashed quickly. It was so bad, it went straight into more than one person’s spit bucket. When I heard it was a Parker 99 point wine (which I hadn’t known) with a drinking window we were well within, I was floored. This was not a dispute relating to palates - this was a wine that was enormously flawed and provenance did not seem to be the problem.

What is that one Cali winery that got HUGE Parker scores, and then fell apart big-time after the first couple years. Leonard Taylor flamed them badly on Ebob and Parker (nor Squires) wouldn’t even respond to that one. Tells me he was so wrong on that one he couldn’t even pretend to defend it. Was in Behrens & Hitchcock, or am I thinking of the wrong wine?

Yup. I mean the guy writes like 1,000,000 sentences a day. We got people obsessing for weeks about a sentence he wrote. Come on.

No. He need not change his opinion, which I am willing to accept as genuinely held. But it would be refreshing for him to simply state his opinion without insulting those who hold a different one.