Sorrento, Capri & Amalfi

[welldone.gif]

Thank you for the suggestions. We are looking forward to the trip. [cheers.gif] [thankyou.gif]

Mont-
One restaurant that wasn’t mentioned is Eolo in Amalfi. I’ve been there twice, and enjoyed it much more than the more-hyped La Caravelle. Food is great (especially the salt-baked fish & the seafood stew) - but the wine list is remarkable & well-priced.

Brian

Brad- We’re staying Positano in Sept. I’ve seen many posts recommending a visit to Ravello. It looks like a ferry to Amalfi then bus to Ravello ?

Seems easy enough during the day but thinking dinner would be difficult to make it back other than car service or taxi back to Positano ? I saw you and George post on Rossellini and Villa Maria. Wondering if dinner would make sense. We’re already going to Don Alfonso for one of the nights and have 3 others available. We’ll do 2 of them in Positano but was thinking about Rossellini for the other night.

We loved loved loved Il Ritrovo near Positano . They will pick you up and drop you off . Great reviews .

1 Like

Villa Maria’s outdoor deck is great for lunch. I can’t help you with travel. We had a car

First day in Positano was terrific. I love September as the weather is still very pleasant but not too hot and the crowds are beginning to thin. Our first dinner was excellent. I can’t recommend this place enough La Taverna del Leone Home - Ristorante Positano - Pizzeria - La Taverna del Leone
If you check out the google and TA reviews they are very consistent. We are probably going back before we head to Rome. We’re also going to Zass and Don Alfonso 1890.

Ferry to Amalfi to explore and probably lunch in Ravello at Villa Maria or Cumpa Cosimo.

One of our favorite memories was going into the food market by the town square in Ravello, purchasing an assortment of items, siting down on a bench, and eating and taking it all in.

1 Like

Is it still in the car park just below the main square on the Scala side of the village? It was the place I discovered Nocellara olives (the big, meaty vivid green ones). The piazza is a wonderful place, especially pleasing in the evening, but mornings also good.

Ravello was my first exposure to Italy, back in summer 1990. Back then the square was still open to limited traffic, with the buses stopping outside the larger café in the corner, before continuing out the other side of the square. Whilst it was a tourist destination then, logistics meant it wasn’t flooded with tourists, and indeed I doubt it’s mobbed by them even today (c.f. San Gimignano say).

The network of paths is wonderful, albeit barely appreciated by the locals. The traffic on these paths is negligible and a world away from the conveyor belt that Cinque Terre coastal paths feel like. That said there are a huge number of steps and it’s easy to get overconfident, as we found when my partner twisted her ankle (not twisted to the side, but toes bent backwards) as we raced down the hill towards Amalfi.

I just don’t recall . But sounds like great memories for both of us .

The view from the top of Ravello as you begin the walk down to Minori.

David K- Villa Mari was excellent and the view incredible. Thanks for the heads up !
amalfi5.jpg
amalfi4.jpg

@George_Hejna - I know it was quite a while ago but what did you think of staying in Praiano ? We did Positano on our last trip in 21 but looking at a Villa in Praiano this time. I think we won’t have a problem using a shuttle via the villa so not too worried about transportation. Curious what you though of their beach and the village ?