Soul-searching in Napa. Beta-Jasud, Roy Piper, Detert, Elyse, Diamond Creek, Favia, Opus, Gargiulo, among others!

I was told during my visit that the price for the Dana SB (not the Vaso) is $500 per. Vaso SB was excellent and I believe is ~$100. Might sound crazy to call a $100 SB value, but it is fantastic.

1 Like

Completely agree on Elyse. We recently did a very similar tasting at the bar. Lost track of how many wines we had and all were extremely good. The relaxed nature of the tasting was a nice change of pace. If you prefer an informal environment that is more about tasting many different wines, I would give Elyse my highest recommendation.

Elyse

Had a blast visiting the estate. My experience with the tasting was very casual. We stood at the bar, tried a bunch of wines, and probably drank too much. I ended up shooting the shit with one of the owners (Josh), several staff members, and petting the dogs for much longer than I anticipated. Felt like a bunch of friends got together, opened some wines, and drank them. Very relaxed atmosphere, not your super-fancy, prim and proper tasting.

1 Like

Thanks for the write up, it was a good read!

1 Like

Great write up that will certainly be useful as I plan my next Napa trip. Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on Arkenstone. I’ve been wanting to visit that property. However, not too stoked to hear their sales process. Anytime I’ve visited a property and their tasting fee has no effect on my purchase, it sure leaves me with a sour taste on the experience. There are so many creative ways to have a tasting fee offer credit towards future experiences or purchases. If we need to create a separate thread on this topic alone, I can rattle off a dozen ideas.

1 Like

Agree. A few places had that policy actually–first time in Napa so I didn’t know to clarify ahead of time. Maybe those places would have dropped the fee if I bought a case, but I visited 15 places so I had to be more cautious with purchases.

Also, thanks everyone for giving this a read! I was not expecting much traction, but I’m glad it was helpful and informative.

Just booked with Ketan for a tasting in February. Pretty excited to see his operation. Trying to see if we can get Detert on the schedule as well.

1 Like

Do you need to be on the Beta list to visit?

What an awesome trip!

1 Like

Rohit / Peter agree 100%

2 Likes

This sounds like a spectacular trip. Loved the write up, Rohit.

I did a quick search on “B. Buzzini” and “Dana” and got zero hits in the archives.

It sounds like somebody might have a new Sauvignon Blanc to add to his Bucket List.

I’m envisioning a Dana versus I-Block tasting in someone’s future.

Of course we will require high quality pictures of the event.

Definitely recommend sitting down with Tom, particularly if you can do it on the Detert property!

I’m uncertain–shooting an email never hurt anyone.

What is I-block? I’m also interested in finding SBs that reach the heights Vaso/Dana did for me.

[/quote]

What is I-block? I’m also interested in finding SBs that reach the heights Vaso/Dana did for me.
[/quote]

From RM’s website:

The I-Block of Robert Mondavi Winery’s To Kalon Vineyard provides 100 percent of the fruit for this treasured FumĂ© Blanc. Planted in 1945, I-Block is a famed vineyard site in Napa Valley’s Oakville AVA that is believed to be the oldest Sauvignon Blanc vineyard in North America – and the finest in the To Kalon Vineyard. The old vines are head-trained with no wires and are never irrigated. Through the years they have learned to self-regulate to produce just the amount of fruit that they can perfectly ripen. To Kalon soils are well-drained, allowing the roots to dig deep. Combined with dry farming, this results in intensely flavorful fruit with a fine mineral character, concentration and opulence.

Cool thing is you can have 4 bottles for less than 1 of Dana’s. [snort.gif]

Tom was blending last week at Dakota Shy so we weren’t able to get him into our schedule. Next time for sure!

1 Like

I could be completely wrong about this, but my impression was that you could only purchase I-Block at the winery itself.

That may have changed, but in the past, you weren’t supposed to see I-Block at retail shops; you were supposed to drive to Oakville and pick it up yourself.

I just checked the website, and it looks like they’ve added another ultra-premium Fume Blanc to the lineup:

2019 To Kalon Reserve Fumé Blanc, $95

2017 To Kalon Vineyard I Block Fumé Blanc, $90

Maybe when the 2019 I-Block is released in a few years, it will be substantially more expensive than $95?