Sourcing Trillium/Tree House, Boston NEIPAs

Tried the Trillium Scaled recently and it blew the socks off of a Fresh Hopslam and also bested a Grey Sail Captain’s Daughter

Separately ( in another sitting) gave high marks to the Tree House Alter Ego. Will need to do a Tree House/Trillium side by side soon against a Night Shift.

TH>Trill>>>NS

My brother lives in CT, 75-80 min drive from Munson and is my Treehouse mule. Turned me on several years ago. He refuses to talk about Bright by anything other then ‘f*ck Bright’ for the numerous times he took the hour+ drive out, waited in line for an hour, only to find Green and Julius kicked and he walked out with 4 Brights. Lots of days like that.

Today’s load is nuts. Too bad my mule is out of town. 114 cans

Haze - 12 cans PP
Trail Magic - 6 cans PP
Lights On - Case PP
Bright - Case PP
Sap - Case PP
Tornado - Case PP

I may be wrong, but this is the first time I can remember cans carrying over from a prior week. Sap, Haze, and Trail Magic were all available last Saturday.

All whalez must come to an end.

Wow they are really printing money right now if folks are buying 3-4 hundred dollars of beer each.

Yep. If you took the while allocation yesterday you are looking at ~$450 on a Wednesday for some beer! And they are selling it. Good for them. Did it on their terms, in total control. As it should be.

People are flipping them at $9-15 a can depending on the cans. Treehouse is basically keeping certain segments of the economy alive every week.

I know a couple guys that buy 2x allocation every day every release. They are looking at over 250 cans a week that they sell and ship out 12 cans at a time. With $4-10 profit per can at a minimum they are bringing in $4000 a month. My friend is an accountant for breweries and he did a mock up of TH profits (from known data) and the money it generates from others selling it, it was a hilarious write up.

Are these beers ageable? If not who can drink 114 cans in a couple of weeks?!

I wouldn’t call any NEIPA ‘ageable,’ but some drinkers prefer them a few weeks on after they’ve settled down. I go through this quite a bit with Other Half. Some beers are actually better 3-4 weeks down the road vs fresh.

The big problem I have with the trading and movement though is how it affects taste. I get my OH cans fresh and cold and they stay that way over time.

If you ship and they warm up, not sure how that affects flavor.

I just learned recently about what Brent said above. I brought some TH to my favorite sushi bar and shared a can with some Beer geeks who were sitting next to me. They appreciated the beer but told me it was a bit “green” and would be even better in two weeks. Not sure if that rule applies to all IPAs and I have not confirmed this theory but I may try in the future. My takeaway was 1 month after canning date would be optimal

depends on the beer. Like TH Very Green is VERY GREEN on release. Needs a few weeks to get rid of that vegetable flavor. But Haze is great fresh.

It was Alter Ego and I did not detect a big difference two weeks later, but the gurus may well have. Will do a controlled test at some point.

Alter Ego can go pretty long, as can Sap and Haze. Sometimes you get lucky, I had a Green from an xmas run last week that was still very good.

My brother sent me a pic of his receipt from Treehouse this afternoon. Right under $500. And he left a few Catharsis behind.
Nice unannounced release of Human Condition stout (3 cans/pp)
And Fresh Dr. J is always good!

One of our contractors here at work is one of the co-owners/investors of TH. I asked him why he is still working here. He said they are still pumping almost all of the money back into growing the business.

They also got a monster loan to pay back.

I made my first trip to Treehouse on Thursday while visiting my brother in CT. We arrived at 10:30 am (12pm opening) hoping to score some King Julius, but it was tapped the night before. At 10:30, there were already 30-40 cars ahead of us in the lower parking lot. It is such a scene. They did a beautiful job with the building and grounds.

And there must be a helluva lot of flipping going on as there were too many grandma and grandpa types that showed up with their dollies and wheeled off with the full allocation Thursday, which was around 8 cases and almost $1k worth of beer.

it’s an industry!

Gramps & Grams need that mule $ for Depends and Metamucil (the OG hazy IPA).