Sous Vide Starter's Guide: What Do I Need?

Sous Vide corn is AWESOME. I did something similar last week, I did do it at 181 tho, I think it could go even down to 179/180.

oh man, it’s is so user friendly, way more so than what I see on the Sansaire. The first touch screen has three options “Temp, time, start”. Hit temp and you can set your temperature. Get it!

Don’t wait. buy now. It’s also easy to take apart for cleaning.

I am a big fan of the stainless steel on the anova. It appears that the sansaire body is all plastic. All the parts touching water with the anova are metal, stainless skirt along with heating coil, temperature probe and I am guessing water level probe.

I broke down and bought an anova. I already have a cabellas pro sealer and the bags so ready to try this out when it arrives.

Going to use my standard 8 qu all clad pot I assume.

anyone try it in a cooler for long term cooks?

It should be able to fit on a cooler since the clasp can move to accommodate it. Obviously you can’t put the lid back on, but should work. The only issue is a decent sized cooler might have more water than the Anova can move effectively. I’ve thought of buying a small pump to circulate extra water on amazon.

Wow, I never knew such devices existed and mainly avoided sous vide because I didn’t want to buy one of those big chamber units.
But now I am seriously thinking to get one.

I assume you use almost any container with the Anova and Sansaire?
Is there a volume limit?
Is it really as easy as it looks?

I already have a FoodSaver.

Any container tall enough to fit the unit works. I think the limit is 21-22 L or around. 6 gallons. I’m sure you could go bigger and just sacrifice a bit of water circulation in the process.

While I haven’t tried anything other than the sous vide supreme (waiting for my sansaire) it sound like they work so I highly recommend it if you enjoy cooking. It opens up a whole new range of techniques which produce results not easily attainable by other means.

and just to be clear, you’re not a shareholder right?? newhere

I have a large pot that I make chicken stock - I assume this is typically what’s used.

Re:Anova - is this online only? It’d be nice to check it out first at a retailer.

trying to get a Sansaire refund to buy the Anova

Haha alright, you got me on board. I just ordered one. I am psyched for sous vide steak.

What do you guys use for containers? Just a big pot? And it doesn’t need to be covered, right?

Big stockpot works fine. You only really need to cover it for long cooks where evap would be an issue. Steak is quick, water level loss is not noticeable and the anova has no problem keeping temp.

Online only. Not a shareholder :wink:. Large pot is fine for anova. They use a screw clasp so it can handle pretty much any pot as long as it’s deep enough

how many inches is deep is enough? Want to make sure my 8 qt stock pot is ok, or am I going to have to hit up the restaurant supply store

Should be fine. I use a ten and there is plenty of depth. All it needs is the sensor to be underwater and that’s at the very bottom of the device

Nice review of the Anova –

Mark, I don’t have an Anova, and the height depends on the device. Each device hands over the edge of the pot, and clamps in place. They have a minimum water level mark and a maximum, which obviously is below the top of the pot. Just a guess, but 8 qt. seems on the small side. My device does not fit in the 8 qt pot I have (not All-Clad), but it is a fairly wide pot, so not tall enough. I use a BIG stock pot, probably 16-20 qts. Remember, you’ve got to have room for the device and your food bags. Too small of a pot would also mean you’d have to be adding water often during a long cook to adjust for evaporation. You’d only have a couple of quarts between the min and max lines, some of which is displaced by the food.

Thanks, the height requirement on the Anova makes me happier waiting for the Sansaire.

hoping it arrives this week.