South Florida BYO (Palm Beach, Broward & Miami-Dade Counties)

I live in Aventura (half way between Miami and FLL), and always on the lookout for a corkage deal myself, so happy to share my findings (but always confirm before going, as things can change).

Free corkage (warning - very rare!):
-All Houston’s restaurants including the one in Aventura, already mentioned above, which is a great policy for this chain.
-Ironside Kitchen: https://www.yelp.com/biz/ironside-kitchen-miami (italian on ‘upper east side’ area of Miami)
-Cafe La Buca (Pompano Beach): https://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-la-buca-pompano-beach?osq=cafe+la+buca (because of the distance I’ve never made it there myself, though it’s long been on the ‘free BYOB’ list)
-Timo: https://www.yelp.com/biz/timo-sunny-isles-beachThis is a GREAT restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach (between Miami and FLL) and if you buy 1 bottle there, they waive the $20 corkage on 1 BYOB

Almost free:
-Bonefish Grill is also a chain, but generally well-reviewed, and $10 corkage
-Grand Lux Cafe: also a chain under the “cheesecake factory” umbrella, has $10 corkage

Sorry to hear it. That’s an anomaly, it’s the best food in Delray. I dine there monthly. Only once was it less that excellent.

Was that the same visit where you said in a couple posts up that the food was quite good or did you go back again?

Service isn’t always the best thought, and I often find the portion sizes on the small side, especially for the price.

It was a return visit.
We’ll give them another chance, but probably not for a while.

Warning;
Hillstone/Houstons, at 201 Miracle Mile Coral Gables, has a weird policy of no opened (decanted) wine allowed.
I had a problem there, as did several of my wino friends. [wow.gif]

I found an excellent Corkage list on a local food blog (which I also recommend), called ‘the whet palette’. The Full list for Florida is at The Whet Palette South Florida Corkage Fees (and it’s pretty up-to-date)

It doesn’t list all the ones I mentioned up-thread, but from her list, I like:
-Alter $40 [great restaurant, so worth it to bring a good bottle]
-Ariete $25 [love this place too, and $25 is a deal]
-Blackbrick Chinese $15 [I’ll bring a JJ Prum on my next visit]
-Blue Collar $15 [excellent casual place, but not sure I’d bring wine anyway - more of a craft beer setting]
-Bourbon Steak $35 [wines are VERY $$$ here, so $35 is reasonable, and this is a very high end steakhouse]
-Byblos $25 [excellent mediterranean in South Beach - difficult to pair wines with, but $25 is downright cheap for SoBe]
-Eating House $30 [my top pick in Coral Gables]
-Ghee $25 [top Indian in Miami (Design District) - also hard to pair wine with though, at least for me]
-KYU $35 [top Korean-fusion in Miami Wynwood area]
-Le Zoo $25 [casual French in Bal Harbor mall in Miami - french food = french wine]
-Macchialina $25 [my top pasta pick on west side of South Beach - has a $10 “pasta Thursday” deal I travel for]
-Prime 112 $35 [I’ve never been to this SoBeach steakhouse that is notoriously expensive, so $35 is again a deal]
-Quality Meats $35 [not bad fee, and they have a GREAT 8:30pm deal now that includes AYCD wine!]
-Scarpetta’s $30 [South Beach, decent fee, I usually get a $40 Barbera here]
-Stubborn Seed $35 [Excellent restaurant, decent fee]
-Timo $20 (waived if buy 1) [Sunny Isles - I mentioned this one earlier - top choice in this small city in NE Miami]

Where else do you like to eat in the area, Barry?

Cafe Maxx in Pompano. $35
Excellent food for 30 years.

Matteo’s in Boca $25 corkage (crappy list so well worth it)

Houston’s in Boca now charges $15 corkage

Sherri–I’m packing a few extra cases in the car tomorrow.

Cafe La Buca in Pompano only $10 corkage (used to be free but they recently got a beer and wine license)

1 Like

Does anyone remembers the long defunct Vinton’s restaurant in the La Palma hotel in Coral Gables, Miami?
Trying to get back in touch with some members of the Chaine and the Commanderie de Bordeaux.
Cheers

Anybody know what the corkage policy is at Il Gabbiano in Miami?

I am pretty sure they don’t allow BYOB.

Thanks, Hank. Ken confirmed this as well.

La Nouvelle Maison in Boca (the excellent French restaurant with the same owners as Trattoria Romana) has corkage free Wednesdays. Otherwise, corkage is $45 (and an expensive, French-centric wine list).

Sorry for the late response, but for casual, El Camino has amazingly high qualifty proteins for a mexican restaurant. Living in LA I avoided Mexican restaurants in Florida, but was won over here.
Cut 432 for steak if you are into it. However the noise level is very high. El Camino gets the same fish as Cut 432 (common ownership), but sells it at a much lower price point. But I’m not a big meat eater.
I don’t care fot the cooking at J&J seafood, have tried a couple of times. Want to like it, but the saucing is just not to my liking.
La Cigale was in my rotation for a while, but they slipped. I’m gonna check them out again soon (because they get Dover Sole flown in twice a week, or at least did in season).
I was at Sapori in Boca, my food was ok (not special) but my friend was served fish that was clearly not fresh (even thugh we inquired first).

Going significantly further south, 3030 Ocean in Fort Lauderdale is tops. Fantastic fish, and their summer deal of a 3 course savory menu for $59 is awesome.

Anyone have comments on Lucca in Boca Raton at the Boca resort? They do whole wheat pasta which is a big deal for my wife who avoids refined flour.
Sheri, you mention Trattoria Romana. Do you recommend it?

I’m finding the state of dining in Delray to be disappointing since 32 east closed.

Boca has a lot of very good restaurants, and IMO, Trattoria Romana is the best. Much harder to get in - and louder, busier - during “season,” so if you are here now or any time before, say, November, definitely give it a try (or if coming during season, make a reservation in advance). In addition to the regular menu and the specials, they will pretty much make whatever you want. It is expensive, but not fussy and no attitude.

For steak, I prefer NY Prime and Abe & Louie’s to Cut 432. They are both in my regular rotation - very different vibes but both have excellent prime meat and fresh seafood.

I’m always eating fish, prefer local. I found more choice at Cut 432 (but not much more, and the ambiance is poor vs. A&L) than Abe and Louie’s. Does Trattoria Romana tend to have fish specials or only the two on their menu?

Lots of specials - I don’t think I have ever eaten off the menu! You can call and ask about specials (they tend to mostly be the same night to night).

Trattoria also owns Luff Fish House a couple blocks away, which is much more casual and a totally different type of restaurant, but all fish.

I have gone to City Fish Market for happy hour many times and loved it (same owners as Chops Lobster Bar) - a friend of mine who only eats fish (no meat) eats there regularly.