Speaking Spanish at Work

I would just say you can assimilate without losing your culture, traditions and your soul.

Well, my father couldn’t even if he wanted. He moved back to Japan in 1941 and got stuck there during the war. You can imagine how, as a high school student, things went for him. He had dual citizenship, by the way. The family has some interesting stories.

2 Likes

Snowflakes in the fall! Sounds like back to college (at least these days) - especially “triggering people to see (the whipping boys of the left) white guys on a wine forum…”

Hey prof how do you know what race any of us are, and by assuming “white” what does that do to your ersatz plea for equality? Do we really need to play the race card on a wine forum?

Toward a (un)brave new world where everyone is offended, and honest efforts to help are disdained as racist patriarchy.

Sheesh. Have a glass! [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Ok to lighten up a bit here is an apropos riddle:

I am a white wine drinker but I only drink red wine

2 Likes

I’ve said it elsewhere on these boards: any grown adult who seriously uses the phrase “virtue signalling” usually has very little virtue of their own to speak of.

This is a discussion. If you can’t handle it, sounds like you’re the one who’s “triggered”!

Anyway, I don’t think Casey’s question was in bad faith at all. I think it was well-meaning and I get the sense from his posts that he genuinely cares about his coworkers. But Ben and Betty - especially Betty! - have made thoughtful posts explaining why that attitude may be rooted in some paternalistic white saviour narratives that may end up being harmful upon deeper examination.

3 Likes

But Kim!

2 Likes

White wine is really yellow wine, where the drinker will not admit to its color.

2 Likes

Casey while I understand your point re:easier advancement with English fluency, I frequently wish my Spanish was better, because it would make it easier for me to communicate what I would like to happen and answer questions from workers whose first language is Spanish. Ialso have found that if I attempt to communicate in Spanish the person I’m speaking with’s English improves rapidly. That part, to me. is a matter of respect.

2 Likes

My Spanish is probably at best “asi asi”

It’s an interesting question, Casey. I always get reminded of a quote from Nelson Mandela: “If you speak to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you speak to him in his language, that goes to his heart.”

When I have something important and complex to convey to the crews, I always want to do it in Spanish, and will even write it out and have someone bilingual translate if I need to so that I can communicate like an adult.

At the same time, it’s true. We have people whose lack of language holds back their advancement. Advancement means being able to converse with lots of different people who may or may not speak their language. People who are fluently bilingual and highly competent are incredibly valuable and worth their weight in gold. At the end of the day, results are what matter, and communication is critical to results.

2 Likes

Above all else, I’m just pleased to read such a caring, well-intentioned collection of views, all seemingly searching for the greater good. I am half-Mexican; I’m pale and red-haired; my Spanish is sketchy (I’m called a “pocha”, affectionately, for the most part, in more Hispanic-acculturated circles). Race and language have always been part of my journey. I am cursed with always seeing everybody’s points, and usually supporting them. So, I’m always the mealy-mouth in the group.
But, again, I am simply pleased and gratified to see the discussion make its way here.

2 Likes