Statute of limitations on corked bottles from mailing list

When you reach out to them, make sure you demand $10 for your inconvenience! [berserker.gif]

1 Like

That’s a gift.

Depends. I doubt the wine tastes the way it should.

Vincent, I appreciate your optimistic view of wine consumers and their ability to tell a corked wine from a tennis ball.

1 Like

no doubt you are correct. BUT on the bright side: doesnt taste like grandpas cellar.

It does. TCA interferes with your perception of a wine, not the wine itself.

A while back, a group of us had a wine that was so mildly corked that several people couldn’t recognize the cork taint at all. They didn’t think anything was wrong with it until a couple of other people agreed it was corked. When a second, sound, bottle was opened, everyone noticed a dramatic difference between the two.

Just replaced a bottle of 2009 for a customer. Not from this year’s library sale but one she’s had since released. Not a corked bottle either. Just off. She’s local and brought it by and it was definitely off. Better to make people unexpectedly happy than to allow a poor showing to fester.

2 Likes

Jim I think being local makes a significant difference with how I would deal with this. Or maybe if I was a current subscriber. Typically I’m with Charlie on how I approach this, I look at a random and occasional flawed bottle as part of the hobby; most retailers don’t get the support from their suppliers that would be needed to replace things.

BTW my cab-loving sister just joined an Oregon-based tech company and was just asking me about Oregon Pinot Noir…was trying to pick up a bottle of your '18 Freedom Hill Dijon last night but got to the store 10 minutes after closing time! Will try again today on the same trip to pick up a bottle of '17 Vincent Ribbon Ridge and '18 Beaux Freres Vineyard at a different shop. Evesham Wood Puits Sec showed up here a few days ago, should make a nice lineup of fairly diverse wines.

I’ve had exactually one bottle of Saxum from the hundreds that I have consumed. They replaced it immediately, no questions, no fuss. I would reach out to Sierra or Justin at Saxum. They are as good as it gets in the business.

I had a corked bottle of Turley. They gave me a replacement bottle of the current vintage with my next order, which was more then reasonable

Anyone have a contact for Krug? Obviously defective cork, bought several years ago. Tried the contact link on the website but no luck.

So??? Not relevant to what I said. You all clearly have the receptor type that detects TCA.

This.

There’s nothing wrong with asking. Even if you aren’t buying the wines now, you were a customer then. And as a winery owner, I want to stand behind my wines, and sending you a replacement is 1) the right thing to do and 2) another chance for you to try my wines and become a customer again.

It’s also great to see so many positive comments on Saxum, and how they would handle things.

I can confirm that Marcus stands behind his wines, as he reached out to me volunteering to replace a corked bottle when he saw my note on it.

I had a similar experience with a Tablas Creek 2006 Panoplié. It wasn’t corked, but it was off. I posted a note here. I was contacted and offered a replacement bottle of the same vintage Kudos to Tablas Creek.

Most of the corked wines I’ve experienced have been Italian and French. Corked new world wines are very rare in my experience. The few bad bottles I’ve had were always replaced if I contacted the winery. As others I have mentioned, my threshold for reporting is about $100. If I had a $50 corked wine, I’d just move on.

Reach out to them. I have found domestic wineries much more willing to replace a corked bottle.

As far as I’m concerned, if you buy a wine directly from a producer, they should cover it against defect until your great grandkids open it to celebrate the 20th anniversary of your passing.

If you buy at retail, it’s a little dicier. I don’t want a small retailer to eat it when it’s not their fault, but I’ll bring a bottle back to a grocery store in a heartbeat. If they decide to take it up with their distributor, great; if not, I don’t care.

If you buy at auction or in a private sale, that’s assumed risk IMO.

I agree that you should reach out unless it is not worth your time. Almost all of the wineries I deal with direct would make it up to you.

Had a corked bottle, many years old, from a producer I purchased from regularly for years but had quit buying from (too much wine!). Went back and forth about contacting them because I did not want to make it a hassle to send me one bottle. Ended up contacting them and asking them to make a donation to the local fire relief fund. They responded back quickly and were happy to resolve the situation that way.

If you are still buying from them it would be easy for them to give you a credit on your next order.