Stockholm and Oslo.......all kinds of advice needed.

Glad you like it, hope you find it useful on your trip!

As I live in Stockholm, these are among my personal favourites, all have very good wine lists and staff:
Fine dining:
Gastrologik for Nordic cuisine, ** Michelin

Aloë for innovation and tastes you will never have experienced before, * Michelin

Bistros:
Adam/Albin - modern bistro, should have a star

Babette - hole in the wall with great pizzas and wine

Sturehof - 120 yo Brasserie, an institution with seafood focus and packed 365 days per year

Wine bars:
Bar Hommage, just switched from cocktails to wine last week, beautiful venue in old fire station.
https://starwinelist.com/wine-place/bar-hommage
Tyge & Sessil - Natural wine focus, tasty small plates

Folii - Vinyl and massive selection by coravin

Enjoy Scandinavia and if you’re up for a glass of wine in Stockholm, let me know!

Cheers

Krister

This is epic.

Are there by chance similar types of cheap burg places in Helsinki and Copenhagen?

We did Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo earlier this year. Did all of the big restaurants Noma, Frantzen, Maaemo etc. One really huge surprise was Agrikultur in Stockholm which we chose for a casual night off from tasting menus on the recommendation of a friend. The food was great. It was a nice blend of casual, great ingredients with just the amount of technique. Service was great and the wine list had many steals.

any places in copenhagen with great wine lists (great = low markup Burgs)? :smiley:

Hi folks: Bumping this back up. Curious as to how far in advance one needs to book the top restaurants in Oslo and Stockholm.

Thanks!
Cheers!
Marshall

When are you coming? Most of the best restaurants in Oslo are closed most of July.

I think Maaemo opens for reservations three months in advance, Frantzén accepts reservations two months in advance, and you need to be early,to get a table, especially if you are two persons. Getting a table at Frantzén requires a bit of luck as well, I think.

Maaemo will move this spring, so things might change.

Agree with you
Was in the same situation
Every good place was closed

In Stockholm, I really enjoyed the restaurant Mathias Dahlgren Matbaren. If you like digestifs, they have a few made of unexpected ingredients; don’t miss the snaps made from horseradish and lemon (snaps pepparrot). I heard good things about Nook and Volt, but did not have a chance to try them personally.

I wouldn’t say there is any cheap place in Scandinavia, but I just had a bottle Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet “Clos du Cailleret” 2016 at WINO (Helsinki) for 115 euros which is really reasonably priced. The place has amazing food and great wine list. The Sommelier there is a bit of a Champagne freak and they tend to have really nice selction of them. Check this fellow Bersker’s post about the wines we had

awesome. thank you… any other restaurants in Helsinki you’d recommend? i have 4/6 yr old, so the place has to allow kids… thanks!

I LOVED Shelter in Helsinki → Menu 1 — shelter. Don’t remember anything about the wine list, but the food was fantastic the last time I was over.

I have a 5 year old son and if I would go to have dinner with him in Helsinki I would probably book a table from one of these restaurants:

They serve classic french bistro food executed very well and their wine list have some pretty nice stuff too.

https://www.murudining.fi/?lang=en
This place is really popular and they don’t have a set menu / ala carte because their dishes change all the time. Good honest kind of bistro food with high quality ingredients. Also if you choose to eat here you definitely want ask their black book.

this kind of Muru’s kid brother. A bit more easygoing place and not that amazing winelist although some good stuff.

Kids love pizza so just had to add this one on the list because they make amazing Neapolitan pizzas. Wine list isn’t that good but the pizzas are worth it. If there is too much queue you can just leave your phone number at the counter and they’ll send you a message when your table is ready and in the meantime you can visit the SkyWheel Helsinki, Allas Sea Pool or the Helsinki’s Old Market Hall. All of these are just 5 minutes walk away.

I know you wanted only places in Helsinki, but wanted to add one really nice place - Porvoo. It’s about one hour drive from Helsinki and it’s really beautiful town which is known for its well-preserved 18th and 19th century buildings and 15th century cathedral. Also if you are travelling during summer time you can go to Porvoo by more than 100 year old boat m/s J.L. Runeberg. That is an amazing trip! There is also a really great restaurant called Sinne. We have been actually thinking about doing a day trip to Porvoo with the family just because we have been eanting to go to Sinne.
https://www.sinneporvoo.fi/?lang=en

Thanks Andrew/Mikko!

Stockholm
Lydmar Hotel - Beautifully romantic, efficient service, perfect location and a great breakfast
Folii Wine Bar - Its a way south in Soder but worth the time.
Babette for pizza
Sturehof - served up some fabulous oysters from Normandy
Prinsen - Quite traditional, try the Beef Rydberg

We keep an apartment on Helsinki -
Bas Bas is our favorite, not haute cuisine but so good and so friendly - and its nearby wine bar - small plates and lots of interesting wines
Muru
Wino located in the Kallio neighborhood - where Helsinki goes hipster
Soil Wine Room
Inari - only been once - enjoyed our meal and a nice bottle of George Laval champagne - will return

Thanks Magnus: We will be in Oslo August 11th and in Stockholm early September.

Cheers!
Marshall [thankyou.gif]

In that case I would also recommend eating outside on sunny days. I like the seafood platter at Solsiden. Festningen at Akershus Fortress is also very good. Ekebergrestauranten is a short tram ride outside of the city centre and has a great view of the city and a good lunch. It can be a little too crowded for the servers on sunny days, however.
Signalen sjøbad opened this summer and is a short ferry ride from Aker brygge. I haven’t had the chance to go there yet myself, but it has gotten great reviews and is run by a very talented and experienced chef.

I also like both the outside and the inside menus at Fyr, but be advised that the chef is a friend of mine, so I might not be entirely unbiased. He just opened Stallen, a small fine dining new Nordic restaurant just beside Fyr as well. It has gotten great reviews, I plan to visit this winter or spring.

Just bumping this up as I have to start thinking about reservations eventually. What is the “dress code” for the better restaurants in Oslo & Stockholm. We will be there in August and that is Summer. Are jackets required or expected?

Thanks again.
Cheers!
Marshall

I can’t imagine jackets are required anywhere. It is relatively casual. That being said summers have been much hotter than normal (duh). A/C is not a thing in many places so it can be really hot. We dined at a 1* in Stockholm when it was about 80 degrees at night. No A/C. They brought in a portable and did everything they could to keep us cool but it was rough. I felt really bad for those in the kitchen.

George

In Oslo, jackets are not required anywhere, and not really expected either. Swedes have a reputation for being slightly more formal than Norwegians so it wouldn’t surprise me if it is different in Stockholm.

About eservations: Maaemo opened for reservations for February and March Monday, January 6th at 12.00 p.m. It was fully booked at 12.01 p.m. They had been closed for a few months, so it will probably be easier to get a table later, but you’ll want to book early.

Great advice on the reservations. We are still too far in the future to book any dinners but definitely are following the calendar. Most are only available 2 months in advance. We are still open to more suggestions…awesome stuff so far!

Cheers! champagne.gif
Marshall [cheers.gif]