Stone Knife Sharpener

Thanks Tex…that’s what I wanted to hear!

I would get a normal steel “steel” or ceramic “steel” for slight touchups between sharpening.

For sharpening, I would get a Norton 1000/4000 combo grit waterstone, then for kicks, a King (Polar Bear) 8000 grit stone and a nagura stone. For beginners, only the 1000/4000 is necessary.

I think it’s worth your time to learn how to sharpen you own knives.

Lots of youtube videos and guides (like egullet) how to sharpen with (water)stones.
Tips are: smooth long swift motions, and keep your wrists firm to maintain constant angle

I use five Japanese water stones, 600 to 6,000 grit. I rarely use the 600 unless major damage has happened. I practiced on my Shuns before I tackled my Hattori’s. Nothing to it once you get the motions down. . .very meditative. The videos were very useful when I didn’t know what I was doing.

Good grief.
They even have 30,000 grit??

That’s for heart and/or surgeons to hand-sharpen their own scalpels. They get them nicely sharpened and polished.

This sharpener got total raves from Popular Mechanics this last issue.

How to videos here:

This is what you want. Work both edges with two hands at the same time. Add stones and diamond stones as you please. My buddy has put multiple edges on my knives with this system and it’s incredible. Very fast and foolproof, know your angles and you are set. Wicked Edge.

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product/wicked-edge-field-and-sport/

I’ve had a Norton Tri-Stone for twenty years. Once you learn it, it’s all you need.

anyone want an apex pro I have one cheap.

All those gadgets, including the wicked edge are WAY over priced and not nearly as adjustable as a simple stone and knife by hand.

For kitchen use on normal knives a 1000 grit is all you need, but you could easily add a 400 or just use a 2000 if you want to grind.

Ever since I got into knives, my buddies all give me their knives for sharpening. I can have one done on my stones before I can set up my apex.

Once you do it a while, you can almost feel the correct edge angle by running the knife over the stone and altering angles till you feel the edge bite.

Dan, send me an email or PM, and I’ll give you an in person tutorial and let you try out my stones.

Mark- That is pretty cool. I hadn’t thought about the idea I could get a feel for the edge with stone, I do with my steel but it seems very rudimentary. What appealed to me with the wicked edge is my buddy put a dual angle on my fine steel, making it much more durable and still very sharp. I don’t know enough to figure if I could do that by hand with practice but I’m sure it could be done. I’ll take that Apex!

Thread resurrection after sharpening most of my knives on a cold and rainy weekend. I still love my Apex Edge Pro system as it’s so easy that even I can use it. Also, the eGullet link I posted above a few years back was a great read again…too bad I re-read it after sharpening the knives…now I’m thinking about going back and creating a double bevel on a few of them.

1 Like

OK guys - how do you sharpen a serrated edge? Stones work great on straight edges (that’s how I sharpen my chisels), but can’t figure out what to do with the scalloped edges.

Way cool!

I am slightly lazy and have been using the HORL with the two finer and finer ‘wheels,’ and I am also a compulsive honer.

I haven’t tried this yet but it seems logical.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+sharpen+serrated+knives&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#kpvalbx=_Mj7ZX8MhrOn9Bsv8sbgF17

Thanks. Will have to get a round rod like that and give it a try.