Strange New Wine Closure.....

Assuming you’re saying that oxygen ingress continues indefinitely, that makes Ardea completely different from sound, high quality corks, which emit a small amount of air from within themselves over the initial few months and then stop allowing any O2 transmission until they fail quite a few years later.

I’m also not sold on #s 2 and 3 because the closure hasn’t existed long enough to know for sure with regard to extremely long lived wines. Maybe that isn’t relevant for your producer or others besides Ponsot who use this closure.

I had a bottle of 2014 Oso Libre Estate Primitivo with this closure tonight. While the wine is still relatively young, it was outstanding. I agree that it is much more friendly to the corkscrew than other alternative cork closures.

From my very limited review of their site, it appears the cork allows for an appropriate Oxygen Transfer Rate (OTR) comparable to the best quality corks on the market without the risk of TCA. Quite interested to learn more which is why I searched it out here first after looking at their site.

cornelisson uses these too. I kinda like them. easy to remove and I assume breakage won’t be an issue

So, still waiting for the Holy Grail?

Which might be a human construction.

I recently encountered this closure for the first time on a Catine Gulino Pretiosa Albanello. Seems to be some traction in Sicily for the Ardeaseal. No idea the merits of the closure but the wine was delicious!