Stu Yaniger??

I knew what is was going to be without hitting the link! So famous!

That was my bottle of Overnoy. The wine internet in simpler times.

Actually, Joe loved that note. Being on his shit list and him liking something about you or that you did weren’t mutually exclusive.

Happy for this thread, brings back good memories of days gone by and people I miss.

And Larry, I remember a jeebus with you and JJB (?) at Chapeau! around the same time.

Yep, Stuart and worse…

He doesn’t have as much to do with wine these days as he used to, but he’s in the Phoenix area. His email address hasn’t changed in over 10 years at least, so if you knew it then, you can reach him now. Just saying.

And yes - he is responsible for the most famous Poulsard note in the history of the interwebs. Let’s just say that Overnoy’s 1993 Poulsard was an interesting wine with serious stability issues.

One more thing. To my recollection we only met once in person although I’ve known Stu, like many others, from The Stupids and the Garr board and then Wine Therapy in the old days. Stu and I had dinner at the old Slanted Door many moons ago. He was his jovial and full of life self in real life, with an edge. I wish I could remember what we drank. But it was the days when it was Mark Ellenbogen’s list. And Mark (living on the other side of the pond now) hangs out on Wine Disorder and Instagram if you want to say “Hi” to him. The wine program at SD was incredible and well ahead of its time.

The Overnoy! Back when the Jura was still obscure, in the US anyway. Three Curlys to that memory.

This thread is a triple Curly with extra Whoop Whoop Whoop!

The people trying to sell you on high-end cables are exactly the same people who have opinions on the superiority of the latest trendy stemware.

Yes, but how many and what kind of tines?

Have to admit I’m not following this Keith. And I have a wine lover’s appreciation based on experience that the wine glass does matter (but not that the “latest and greatest” is better) and an EE / physics (but not audiophile’s) understanding that, all else equal, a low-loss, impedance-matched cable with a flat transmission transfer function in the frequency domain across the entire relevant spectrum is better. For the cable its properties can be measured empirically, which isn’t to say it’s often the limiting “filter” of the overall audio system.

But your point is about the sales person. So what’s your point? I don’t begrudge sales people touting their goods. And I don’t equate people selling glassware or audio cables with those selling snake oil. But maybe you my friend are more cynical.

I first met Stuart virtually on Prodigy and in person at a Prodigy offline in May 1995 and must confess that both my wine journey and my life would have been much poorer and less interesting without him.

Jayson,

I don’t equate people selling high end audio systems with state of the art and/or people selling expensive wine and wine glasses with snake oil salesmen. I don’t think Keith is saying that either, but he can speak for himself. We are talking about personality traits.

Usually people with these jobs are obsessed with their work and that’s not a bad thing.

You are right that one could say that the better the cables the truer the sound, whereas choice of wine container touches issues of wine philosophy/aesthetics etc. Indeed, Jacky Rigaud --biographer of Henri Jayer–urges people to try old-fashioned tastevins in order to appreciate the minerality of wine, and says that modern wine glasses emphasize the aromatics of wine over a wine’s minerality and terroir. Jancis Robinson is promoting her own line of glassware with a ‘one size fits all’ approach. … the opposite of the Riedels, who seem to have a glass for every important wine region and grape variety. For those of us living in small homes and apartments Jancis’ approach is a gift from Bacchus.

That was a hoot, thanks for posting! I don’t recall having seen that previously!

Brad, you should tell us more about the thong.

Interesting turn to the thread. I happen to live in a NY apartment, have an inordinate number of different circa 1999-2000 Riedel wine glasses that I use at home (wedding registry items mostly that have survived), but am also very happy with using a Gabriel Gold (GGG) for almost all wines. In any case I hope Keith comes back to explain. And I hope social distancing ends “soon” so he comes back to NY soon: we always drink great wine together!!

The amount of ink/bandwidth expended on the hi-fi cable debate dwarfs all “terroir: myth or reality?” and “Burgundy is a minefield” threads by orders of magnitude. I claim no expertise in electrical engineering but here is one of the canonical treatments of the anti side: Speaker Wire Let’s just say I am not a believer either in magic copper or in Mr. Riedel’s bowls directing wine to the cabernet sauvignon portion of my tongue!

One thing to remember: we don’t all agree on which wine glass is the best or what cable is the best, but we do know bad glasses and cables. The wine glasses of my youth were almost calculated to make you unable to smell VA etc.

Thanks for the links it confirms my cable/wire bias, not that I would drop thousands on cables.

I don’t think that was very hard to do. He called me out on a couple of occasions.

Interesting. First time to hear of this, thanks.