Sub $15 Cab or Am I Really Off Base?

This is a hugely fun topic. To agree with Machael Chang:

2012 Haras de Pirque “Hussonet” Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Reserva Maipo Valley

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1306653

I like Chilean wines.

I think, still true ‘pre-phyloxera’ vines down there.

This actually does have a nice touch of tannin and not an overt fruit bomb.

Cheating by a dollar: 2015 Chateau Los Boldos "Grande Reserve" Cachapoal Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - SKU 1333637

2015 Chateau Los Boldos “Grande Reserve” Cachapoal Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

I bet you can hit sub-15 with a case!

Too soft and fruity for me, but my wine group loved it! They thought very similar to the Martini Alexander Valley cabs at twice the price.

This. The added challenge is that tone can be difficult to communicate over the internet, and it’s easy to come across as raining on someone’s parade even if that’s not what you intend. It sounds like others read in some hostile tone that wasn’t what you intended.

I have not had that but it is easily found, I will try it! I agree with you on your other choices. (Are you also a K&L shopper?)

Found another that I have tried and can’t make up my mind about…

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1280948

2014 Louis M. Martini Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon

I had one that I was sure was too “Bretty” for me, but another that wasn’t. With that many cases, I bet I will encounter different impressions from different bottle.

But, for a wine that is practically “free,” I can’t see any reason not to sneak it into a blind tasting!

Wines of Substance Cab has been my go-to for the last couple years (also discovered at K&L).

Bonus points for being available at Costco now, I’m just hoping they don’t dilute the quality now that they’ve presumably scaled up production.

I go to K&L a lot. I thought there might be some decent cheap cabs at their Southern Hemisphere tasting but they were inoffensive but unmemorable.

2nd that. That wine drinks way above its price. Far better than Columbia or Charles Smith substance for me. If you want ripe fruit bomb purple drank than the later two might be preffered. Glad I cleaned out Winex on the Glenelly :slight_smile:

Sean

VIGILANCE Cabernet Sauvignon “Red Hills” Lake County -

The best under $15 Cabernet I have run into this year, and the last couple vintages have all been outstanding.
Vigilance is an upper tier reserve label by the Shannon family that own Shannon Ridge Vineyards. The Shannon Ridge Cabernet ain’t too shabby either -

Lanessan and Wine of Substance Cab, both 2015, are the two best I have tried lately, and we try a lot of wines at work. The 2016 Substance is really tight, but has potential to be a tick better than the 2015 in 3 or 4 months…no one I know if outside of Charles is doing native ferments, long soaks and using new oak on a $15 Cab, and it shows.

*we sell Substance so take it for what it’s worth.

I’d have to disagree with that Shannon rec. Can’t really abide those wines.

On a different board that will go unnamed someone was asking for $10-15 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon that are favorites and easily found.

• Under $15
  • Favorites
  • Easily found

I think you can only get two out of three.

People have already mentioned Columbia Crest and Chateau St Michelle. If you can find it, there’s Owen Roe Sharecropper’s in addition to those mentioned already.

Even from CA - maybe Ravenswood, Hawk Crest, Hahn, Coppola Diamond, Josh Cellars, Martini, Sebastiani.

And there’s Australia - Killikanoon, Bleasdale, Jacob’s Creek.

Chile has been mentioned, and Argentina also makes a lot of Cab - anyone who does Malbec usually does Cab too.

And even in Spain in Navarra and Castilla there’s a lot of Cab - Mercedes Eguren, for example, makes inexpensive Cab.

But none of those are likely to be “favorites”.

I would simply avoid looking for Cab in that price range. You can just do so much better with so many other grapes.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/bacchus+cellars+cab+sauv+california+usa

Bacchus Cab Sauv I find to be very drinkable. I think when you buy a case it’s <$10!

Not a Cab, but a 2014 Chateau de Landiras Graves is really good and was under $15 last year.

Thanks,
Ed

Hunt, and you shall find. I have kept within the $10 to $20 range.

I think it just depends on your goal for the wines. I see these as cheap decent wines you can pour at a barbecue with a lot of guests that are better than the average swill but not ones I’d spend much time drinking. I’d much rather have cdr or languedoc myself.

I would agree with the posters who pointed you toward the wines produces by Chateau Ste Michelle. I haven’t tasted it but Costco has the Indian Well CS on sale for $14. Don’t know what vintage. Generally speaking though most of their stuff is okay.

I hasten to add my vote to the Charles Substance. The '15 was rated 92 by that certain publication. I paid $13.
Phil Jones

Huh? Perhaps I didn’t hear the question phrased correctly?? [swoon.gif]

I’d go with Cousino Macul CS Antiguas Reservas, which can sometimes taste like red Graves or even minty Napa cabs.

Lanessan, Charmail, La Tour St Bonnet and a ton of other cru bourgeoise are also reasonable picks, assuming its a good vintage, and you can find them in your stores. Most are cab driven, but will be earthier.

Pull Cabernet…wonderful…off the local supermarket shelf…great cab taste with tasty olive notes $15.99

Affordable bottles of 1994 Stags Leap AVA cabernet sauvignon. Admittedly, the extra $5 above the OP threshold is not small change.

2014 St. Francis Cabernet.