Sub $25 Zinfandel

Haarmeyer makes a couple different ones in a lighter fresher style.

St. Francis Sonoma Valley Old Vine Zin $18
Bedrock Old Vine Zin $19
Turley Juvenile Zin $20
Carlisle Sonoma County Zin
Segehsio Sonoma County Zin $22

I had the 2018 Seghesio Sonoma County the other night and it was really good. I also recently had the 2018 Turley Juvenile and it was outstanding.

2018 may be the vintage to start experimenting with grocery store wines in the $15 range

I’m a huge Ridge fan and love most of their staple offerings from the zins to the cabs…but the Three Valleys has never done anything for me. Decent wine but just not exciting. For that price point, Bedrock OVZ, Carlisle Sonoma, Turley Juvenile, and even Seghesio are the way to go IMHO.

I haven’t actually tried the Three Valleys, but really enjoying the Bedrock ‘18 OVZ. I’ll pop one and find out what it does for me.

It doesn’t complete with most of the names mentioned above $20 but at $15 I thought that Foxglove Zin was quaff-able.

Sorry, these recommendations are like a broken record, everybody repeating the same names same names same names.

Kudos to Rich Brown for including Dry Creek, a great call.

Now, back to the real world, to other excellent Zins at about $20, readily available:
Alexander Valley Vineyards
Kunde
Buehler
Parducci

and especially:
Pedroncelli ‘Mother Clone’
Quivira

Dan Kravitz

Nice additions Dan!!

And I cant take credit for Dry Creek - that was Tom’s good call originally :slight_smile:

A lot of good stuff mentioned … entry Bedrock, Carlisle, Bucklin, Turley, Ridge, Dry Creek, etc. I’d add Carol Shelton Wild Thing and Green & Red.

to Rich Brown,

Thanks for pointing out Tom’s prior notice of Dry Creek… I missed that, I admit I skim threads too much.

to P Turk,

I’ve had several vintages of Carol Shelton ‘Wild Thing’ and been disappointed. Nothing wrong, just not much right for my money.
And I haven’t had Green and Red for a while, but based on past vintages, a really great addition.

Dan Kravitz

Ha! I was literally going to say the same thing. Green and Reds I’ve had have been very good. Carol Shelton ‘Wild Thing’, not so much. I’ve tried it over a few vintages as i want to dig it (and the bottle always jumps out to me)…but always walk away underwhelmed.

Yes, the Dry Creek Heritage was a very pleasant surprise on a visit to the winery a couple of years ago (prompted by Tom’s posts).

I like Easton Amador Co Zin under $20…wonderful foothills terroir!

The 2018 Limerick Lane RRV Zin does not suck and for the $20 price tag is one of the best purchases I have made all year.

$20 is about half of what I have seen this wine for, so that was a good score!

FWIW, you might take a look at the current Cameron Hughes Zinfandel offerings (2017/2018). Priced in the $12 to $18 range.

Agree; not at the same level as the others, but a decent choice at the local grocery store for under $20.

As previously mentioned, I second or third:

Bedrock Old Vine Zin
St Francis Old Vine - I can get these for $14 which is a screaming QPR.

You’ll find a bunch of good Italian Primativos that fit into this price point and flavor profile.

A wild card, Four Vines was sold a few years ago, but if you can find any of their older stuff when it was still privately owned (pre 2012?) it was really good. Biker and Sophisticate are two I remember being good for about $20. I found a 2010 Sophisticate buried on a small wine store shelf not too long ago and it was great.

Pretty solid from Mendocino every year…Edmeades.