Suckling's new web site and video - teaser

Agreed, but wasn’t that audience in existence more 5 years ago than today? These wines are struggling to find a market, almost universally, so I don’t see how he can obtain an audience when the timing, to me, seems quite far off.

I do think, however, that if he does get ‘in’ with more approachable wineries that are widely available, he can act as a wine reviewer with a new twist. Much like how Gary V touched to the whole young generation with vlogging, I think James could really take advantage of getting the story out about accessible and affordable wines by replicating the stories you would hear, and experiences you would have, if you visited yourself.

If he sticks with the super high end expensive stuff, though, I forsee a struggle to gain an audience.

To be clear, Todd, I don’t think James would say his goal is only the highest of high-end (despite the video, which contains almost exclusively out-of-reach brands). But I think it’s in his DNA. And if he goes that way, I would posit that his only hope is for a People Magazine-style success. If he shifts and goes in the direction you mention, there’s more opportunity. But look at his writing track record; he’s not a storyteller who seeks out the best of the land or backgrounds or people. He loves big, rich wines (that often are produced by big, rich people.)

I think the idea of video content is great. I have found it interesting (sometimes) to watch the WS critics discuss the Top 10 Wines of the Year, whether I agreed with their opinions or not. If you could put aside the egos and high level of self-importance, it was interesting and educational, especially if I had already tasted the same wine(s). Likewise, when they interviewed winemakers. Some were quite entertaining.
I also think that the popularity of Gary V’s Wine Library TV shows there is an audience for video content on wine.

“I am here at Sine Qua Non with a postcard.”
[insert appropriate smiley here]

T.

i get tired of always agreeing with you.

this video really made me laugh. i thought it was a brilliant joke.

and seriously, what is wrong with his forehead?

Brilliant. In the words of someone shouting to my avatar, “Get a haircut 'ya bum!..”

Outrageously hilarious, must say it made my evening… I think the idea was probably well intended, I still think the that the proper videoblogging is a quite untapped area. Gary V has been the only one that made full use of it; diverting his (obsessive) energy towards more entry level drinkers although the passion and consistency comes through to be honest if you’re into wine, the constant interruptions of guest speakers, sidetracked subjects and general loudness makes it feel like a Jon Lovitz comedy… and I’m 23

As for Suckling and what you guys already been saying his idiosyncratic personality makes his reviews impersonal and distanced, something the wine world does NOT need any more of!
And the video was just a PR disaster [truce.gif] perpetuating his personality (Latour, d’Yquem, Harlan; before anyone else?!?!) and, for the wine drinkers which I presume it’s devoted to, just all the wrong release; youtube, screams of bad quality, the dysfunctional everything that horror movie crescendo and the sun-burned Suckling saying 'I’m here’ just scares me…
(and makes me think of that zombie popping out in the german car commercial: Scary Car Ghost Car Funny Video - YouTube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Genuinely hope that something moderate could be brought forward, wouldn’t be a minute too soon!

Wow, that was fucking hysterical.

Realistically, he’d probably like to point us back to his prolific track record of discovering and bringing hidden gems (which later become big names) into the public (wine geek) consciousness… except that he doesn’t really have that track record (Maybe Banfi, but that’s no gem!). So instead he shows that he has tremendous access to a bunch of big, expensive name wineries. Unfortunately, that is just soooo “me too!” and really does nothing to separate himself from Parker, WS, or any one of a number of other critics.

Still, if he can (unintentionally) deliver such fantastic comedy on a regular basis, I might just subscribe anyway.

PS - I thought the breathy “I’m here” at the end was a bit hot. flirtysmile [snort.gif]

Suckling Is Back - WSJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even my favorite wine writer mentioned it in his column.

My instant reaction was DUDE get a Haircut!

p.s. Gary V gave a shout out to Wine Berskers in his riff about online blogs and BB with importer peter weygandt

Production values are “great”? Absolutely could have produced something stronger on a flip cam. I’m not trying to tear James down; just saying the Nintendo Contra graphics and accidental comedy horror-style music do not make for “great.” As for a “natural” on camera, I agree that James is a gregarious guy. One man’s “natural” is another’s “bizarrely awkward.” But I wish him well; success in video would be a lot of fun to watch. And he has said that most of his site will be video.

Regarding his hair, I find the sniping a little weak. I’ll stick to the substance of his work. We all have our own sense of fashion and style.

…and from that article: “I’ll press him for more details when we have lunch next week.”

What will be next: “I’m here with James Suckling.”
Exactly the kind of inner circle “look at me” that the wine world does not need.
No offense to you T.L. It’s the “I’m special” egotistical perspective of the writer which I find tiresome.

T.

Well I loved Jay’s books although his articles WSJ have not nearly been up to par. I am still waiting for a really solid one.

But anyway I see a parody in http://www.imheremovie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mostly was taken by how short Suckling must be.

Oh, and the “I’m here” thing just went on and on too long… I didn’t mind the Beatles “Day in the Life” part, that was almost funny.

Saw a couple funny spoofs on it last night. Perhaps Peter could upload some vids?

What an irritating video! It’s makes me say “but I won’t be there”.

I agree with some of the previouls comments about video blogging being an area to be used more. I would love to see it. Although not from Suckling, whom I think is only really good for rating port.

I guess the pretense here is that Suckling has a large fan base who are all waiting to see what he does next? For such people, I suppose this might play well to them. I was never a subscriber nor a fan of WS. To me, he comes of as… self-centered.

“I’m here!”

(or: “Heeere’s Jimmmmmmmmmy!”)

I liked the way he says “La Fleuuuuuur” [rofl.gif]

Also, “Le Pa!” [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But he’s not a witch. He’s you.

Yes, the disconnect between the mission statement (help you to find hidden gems) and the video teaser (the big, obvious, famous estates and usual suspects) was acute.

And the hair? Midlife crisis?

That was my same issue. How do you start with a question and then not even attempt to answer it with some teaser, but rather a laundry list of well-known estates.