Summer Telluride & 100 mile vacinty advice?

What level of accommodations are you looking for?

I’m mostly a value guy on hotels since this will be a one night and well be out to dinner somewhere and gone early next day. Ill pay extra for a brand new place though that isn’t tired. Pretty much anything that’s not more than $200 night.

If you really want to stay in downtown Denver you can probably find something for $200, but maybe this suggestion is a wild card: staying at the Table Mountain Inn In Golden. Walk to everything. Not far off I 70. More small town western atmosphere. Cute downtown. http://www.tablemountaininn.com

For the Springs I assume you’d come back along Hwy 50. The Broadmoor is the place to stay, but I don’t think you can stay there for $200. We’ve stayed in downtown at The Mining Exchange. Close to everything and you can stay for under $200. Not far from I 25. The downtown is relatively small for a city its size so getting around is easy. The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa | Colorado Springs, CO Hotels

I’ll admit that I’m adding nothing of substance to the original request, but I felt compelled to chime in on this. You nailed my impression of Colorado Springs from when I lived in Douglas County/Highlands Ranch (south Denver) back in the mid to late 90’s. Just a strange place.

Thanks guys, for clarification I wasn’t actually asking which property to stay at so much as what part of town keeping in mind that the next day Ill be on my way to Telluride. For example, am I best to stay at places right off I70 or if I really want to get a sense of Denver am I better off to add 20 minutes to my drive and stay downtown Denver? One property in Denver that looked kind of interesting was The Art. Think its downtown somewhere?

Drive an extra 5-10 minutes off the interstate. The I 70 corridor though the city isn’t very nice - very industrial. I’ve been to The Art for events. It’s a nice hotel right next to the art and history museums. It is a little outside the main downtown area. I always think of the Union Station area as the “center” of downtown. Hope that helps.

Thanks, yep, that’s what I need to know. If I stayed in Golden, aren’t a basically skipping Denver proper then?

Downtown, yes, but Golden is a nice/ fun burb that many folks like to see as well. I wasn’t sure how much you wanted to deal with downtown traffic, parking, etc.

Downtown & traffic doesn’t scare me. Prefer not to pay outrageous down town overnight parking but that’s a matter I can figure out with the hotel and in the context of the whole rate package. If downtown should I seek a hotel near Union Station then?

I would. We take light-rail downtown to Union Station from our house in the ‘burbs and then we walk everywhere from there. Plenty to see and do. My favorite restaurant is right in the station. http://mercantiledenver.com. When are you planning to come to town?

Agree w Mr Martin. Until we moved back to the mtns we lived in the Union Station area. Hotels closeby; The Crawford (in Union Station), The Oxford (no relation and a half a block away from US) Hotel Indigo, The Westin, Hotel Monaco, The Magnolia…

Thanks, we’re not flying in. We’re on a road trip so I’ll have my (boat anchor in Denver) with me :slight_smile:. Light rail would be redundant unless we stay in a Burb off the freeway and even then I’d only need parking for 203 hour downtown for dinner and a walk.

If you want company, PM me when your plans are final and if timing works, my wife and I could join you for a glass of wine or dinner.

Sounds like fun. I’ll let you know when things get more solid for the route out.

As far as close by day trips, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River and Mesa Verde.

As far as cooking, the markets are really expensive so bring your proteins. In addition to Steve’s restaurant suggestion, I also like 221 South Oak and The Butcher and the Baker.

If you are a less hard core hiker, Bear Creek Falls and Jud Wiebe Trail are good intermediate trails suitable for families.

I am in Telluride and on this trip, I have tried both Target.com and Amazon to deliver groceries. I can recommend both for travel to vacation places where food shopping is limited. The grocery stores are expensive and a huge step down from where we live.