Sunday Gravy-- My Red Sauce

Well, yes. But I believe it was probably someone named Preston or Jaden who came up with pineapple on pizza. “It’s really gnarly out there today, Dude. Epic tubes. Time to invent a pizza.”

And what’s with the Canadian bacon, eh? To be truly Hawaiian wouldn’t it have to be Spam? [stirthepothal.gif]

EDIT: After researching this subject, it appears that the “Hawaiian” pizza was invented by some Greek from Ontario in 1962. I’m appalled and embarrassed to acknowledge my Greek heritage in light of this. Eh.

Mine has been going for 4 hours so far, probably 10-12 hour in total before I eat.
Some Ingredients (all from my head)

Olive Oil
Tomato sauce and paste
Fresh and canned tomatoes
Bacon
Onions, shitload of garlic, celery
Brown sugar, honey
Anchovies
Parmesan
Chianti, Madeira
Beef, Pork (sausage)
Bay Leafs, Italian spices

Fkn Delicious already!
It is going to be served with homemade Pasta and Bread tonight!
Still deciding on the wine, but a nice Brunello might be in order – I will update tomorrow.
Cheers!

I tried something different this week: I got the idea to make short rib filled raviolis tomorrow, so I made the rib sauce on Thursday. I cleaned most of the obvious fat from 5 large ribs, salted and browned in olive oil. When nice and deep brown I removed, eliminated some of the excess oil and threw 3 minced cloves of garlic in. Once lightly browned, I deglazed with a bit of red wine and threw the crushed san marzanos in. Once it started boiling I lowered heat and put the ribs back in. Tasted and adjusted for a bit of salt and threw 4 large previously roasted garlic cloves in as well. Lowered to simmer and forgot it for 3 hours. The house had a sweet tomato smell that was intoxicating. My wife was even a fan. I removed the ribs skimmed the fat and separated for the chill. It was one of the tastiest sauces I have ever made. Tomorrow I make pasta and fill ravs with broken rib meat (with some grated parm reggiano). A quick boil in salted water and top with a bit of that sauce and a dollop of fresh ricotta and some fresh parmigiano reggiano…
I love Sunday.

Nice Mike…

I use a lot of different meats in my sauces, specific meats too.

I use these pork feather-bones, absolutely fabulous and cheep. About a buck a pound!! flirtysmile .

Cant wait to see the final. best Paul

I will put this here and on my pastabilities thread as well.
Here is the raviolis with short rib filling. A bit large and rough around the edges but tasty.
ravs2b.jpg

Just read the entire thread. Making me hungry! Nice photos, Mike!

You are all such a hoot! It amazes me how we can all live in different areas of the country, but have very similar experiences.
Yes, neck bones and meatballs always.
Sunday dinner at Grandma’s. Although ours was always in her basement for two reasons. It was the only room in the house large enough to hold all of us and we did not have to worry about dodging bullets. It was tough in those days in Detroit. Think Sopranos.
Plastic covered furniture.
The small family owned grocery store.
Always “macaroni” never pasta.
Mike, the raviolis look great.
There was one other thing that we would add to our sauce. The men in the family would get up early in the morning and hunt for pheasant and rabbit until about noon. They would then clean whatever they shot and turn it over to the women to put in the sauce. The men would clean the guns and settle in for a nap until the intoxicating aroma of the sauce woke them up. It was then time to eat.
I still use pheasant or rabbit in my sauce. Clean it, brown it in a skillet and throw it in the sauce. It is unbelievable!

I rolled out my just shy of a pound pasta into 10 sheets and cut it to fit a typical bread pan
So eleven layers divided between a turkey meat sauce, spinach white sauce & ricotta/ mozzarella layer it’s in the oven now and the trimming are going to be cooked for my 8 year old who does not do green…
Photo to follow…

Yum - this thread makes me hungry. Mike your ravioli look and sound amazing.

Our “gravy” is very similar to the ones mentioned above and both sides of the family are from Calabria (near Consenza, but in the mountains (Mottafollone, Malvito, Roggiano Gravina) and on the coast (San Nicola Arcella Scalea, Cetraro). Our traditional one uses pork and meatballs - lately I’ve been using pork chops and pepperoni and then add the beef meatballs closer to the end. My “treat” is the pork chops after they’ve simmered in the sauce.

My great aunt used to keep a pot on the stove during the week - each day, she’d add a little more stuff to the pot. I used to sneak by on my way out the kitchen door with a piece of bread. :slight_smile:

pasta-5390.jpg by Mel Hill Photography, on Flickr

Lasagna, 11 layers of turkey bolognese, spinach white sauce & ricotta/ mozzarella, 10 layers of homemade pasta.

Mel, it looks outstanding.Eleven layers really? Sweet! We use spinach and ricotta in our raviolis as well.

made a white sauce 2 tbs butter + 2 tbs spoons flour then 1 C whole milk and 1/2 a shallot a little grating of nutmeg and a bag of spinach that I micro’ed for 5 min and squeezed out the water then chopped. That was good for a few layers and the ricotta and mozz. was good for a few and then use the meat sauce for the others. a but of mozz on each layer too. The only problem was that the mozz was kind of salty and I had seasoned each of the sauces so wife and daughter felt it was over salted a touch… meh could have been worse… Next time I’m going to taste the cheese before I salt the sauces.

I made this in a bread pan so I could use single sheets of pasta for each layer and really up the count. This was done mostly for the photo but I’d serve this as a course for a dinner for 6 no problem.

Keith,

Welcome,

I used to remember hunting with my Grandpa, brings back memories of my first shot gun. It was a 410 single shot. Which… I still have it to this day.

Cheers Bro

Paul

This thread finally reminded me of this recipe.

The only times I’ve made gravy were based on this. I thoroughly enjoyed the meals and the style in which the recipe was written.

Much to my surprise, a number of the contributers here were over at wcwn a decade ago. Hard not to see Frank Deis, Jimmie Wellman, and Mel Hill’s names while chasing down this rcp. Thanks for your inspiration both then and now.

I think I’ll make a gravy this weekend.

Hey,
What do you guys stuff your braciole wit?

Mark,

Mine usually ends up with-- garlic, onion, Pancetta/Prosciutto or bacon, Parsley/Basil or Spinach, cooked egg, home-made bread crumbs ( seasoned ), cheese ( romano, asiago, parm what ever ), salt and pepper-- usually 1-2 eggs to bind.

Around a Round-- or what ever I find in the freezer or store !! Pork, veal

Curious on every-one else too!!

Paul

Cheese, parsley, toasted pignolis-crushed, salt & pepper, basil, more cheese.
Parm-reggiano & locatelli

For Grandma’s braciole (this is from a fading memory):
Beef flank, bread crumbs, Parsley, Pecorino-Romano (Locatelli); egg to bind; olive oil and a few spoonfuls of gravy for moisture. They were usually held together with toothpicks, and not tied.

I don’t remember them having pignolia nuts, raisins or prosciutto, which are often found in other recipes.

I wish Grandma was here to show me how to make this and teach me other recipes.
I miss you Grandma.

Paul’s method in his OP is scary-similar to what I do for my red sauce (I’m not Italian, so don’t feel comfortable calling it “gravy”), as vaguely outlined below:

I usually use one pot.

To start, I melt a pat or two of butter in a pan and mix in some olive oil (maybe a T?), and saute some diced onions therein. Once lightly browned/carmelized, I’ll add some minced shallot – maybe a Tablespoon, or two. If I’m having red wine with the meal, I’ll skip garlic. If I’m having white wine with dinner, I’ll add 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic. If I’m not having any wine with dinner, I’ll add 3 or 4 minced cloves of garlic. I’ll sweat these aromatics for a few minutes, then add the meat.

I prefer spicy Italian sausage, but am willing to do ground beef, ground pork, or ground turkey. If I have no other meat option avail. to me, I’ll even sometimes do cubed chicken. I’ll brown the meat with the aromatics (if using chicken, I’ll cook the chicken at least half way through at this stage).

Then, I’ll add the following:
1 big can of Hunt’s tomato sauce (prob. the 29 oz.'er?)
1 can of diced or crushed tomatoes, with their liquid
sometimes I’ll throw-in some tomato paste, too (1 - 3 T.)

I’ll cook this for as long as my wife allows, throwing in some water from time to time if the sauce is thickening too much (but no water additions in the last 45 min. to hour). I try to keep it below a simmer.

During the last 30 - 45 min., I’ll sometimes throw-in a splash of vodka.

Any dried herbs I use get added with about one hour left. I usually add some more diced onions at this point, and sometimes some bell pepper, too. If I’m going to use any fresh tomatoes in the sauce, I’ll add them at this point (mostly for texture, rather than taste). I like to add some combination of the following dried herbs/spices (but never add all of them – honestly, I rarely use more than 3 of these at any one time):
thyme (always use this)
ground fennel seeds (almost always)
oregeno (sometimes)
basil (sometimes)
marjoram (sometimes)
crushed red pepper flakes (sometimes; never if having red wine with dinner)
sage (rarely)
tarragon (rarely)

Any fresh herbs that I add are added instead of their dried counterpart, and are added in the last 10 min to 60 min., depending on herb. I’ll sometimes add some thick-sliced white mushrooms at this point, too. Will sometimes use any of the following fresh herbs:
Basil
Tarragon
Rosemary

If I’m doing an orange sauce, I’ll make the following changes:
… on second thought, that’s probably left to another thread! [cheers.gif]

Ditto. My nonna and mom make it with beef or veal flank, lot’s of sprigs of parsley and then like a really fatty piece of skin or something, rolled and held together with a toothpick. Then they just get thrown in the sauce. I haven’t had any in awhile, thanks for making me think of it.